mtbr member

New question here. prophet vs/ rush

I bought my rush about three months ago. I've put about 300-400 hard miles on it. I ride very rough and I'm not smooth in the least. I weigh 165lbs and am 5'8" tall. I look for anything I can find to ride over, off of or into

I'm starting to wonder if I wouldn't have been better off with some thing with a little more travel or built a little tougher. So far I've been through one rear wheel, one rear hanger, a rear derailuer and about a dozen tubes.

I'm used to cromo street/bmx bikes with 14mm axles and dropouts a half inch thick. The rush is a great bike, don't get me wrong, but I wonder if it's really for me?

What other cannondale model would you guys recomend? And I will only buy another cannondale. I'm pretty strict when it comes to where or buy whom my bikes are made (Union Pride!)

rush 6 btw.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I bought a Rush last summer and recently decided I wanted to try a Prophet. I sold the Rush and built up a Prophet and have not regretted the change at all. I really liked the Rush but the Prophet is just a "funner" bike.

mtbr member
    Can you notice the extra travel? Is it any stiffer than the rush when pedalling out of the sadal?

mtbr member
    May 2006

We the people ... Prophet vs Rush

I demoed both bikes, the 1000 models, when I was ready to replace my Gemini. The main differences to me were the Rush had better handling but the Prophet didn't bottom out.

In 06 the Rush didn't save enough weight vs the extra travel of a Prophet. With a little tuning the Prophet handles as well as a Rush.

I'm 5'10" 150lbs and I put about 25 hours/ 300 miles a month on the Prophet. The bike is set up with light parts. It's 24.7lbs and it has proven to be very durable. No issues in the past year.

That doesn't mean a Prophet will solve the issues you listed. Unless the damage is from jumps/drops that the Rush's 4" travel can't be tuned for, the rim, hanger and flats you mentioned would probably have happened on either bike.
    Last edited by dualdale; 07-24-2007 at 11:38 AM.

mtbr member
    Had the same decision to make, and went with the rush... Good for everything, as long as you flow stuff - This bike is for marathons and technical singletrack/ XC riding. The prophet is better for jumping and drops.

dualdale - More travel is easier on wheels. When the suspension bottoms out, the wheels suffer the most impact. The weight difference is less noticable because the 1000s/ 3 level have the same components.

The main differences are:
    1. Handling - I like the rush suspension better (The Fox shock is wayyyy better than the manitou), but the prophet weight distribution is better - I think the rush has too much weight over the front end.
    2. Riding position - More XC 'crouch' in rush, more upright in prophet (More comfortable to wheelie drop and 'pull' over technical stuff)
    3. Standover clearence - Rush is better.

I decided on the rush (For jumping off stuff I have a Chase SS...). I ride a 2006 rush 1000, and having a great time.

AND as for you - terrible -
    1. As for the dozen tubes - Check your tire pressure. Maybe you need a little more.
    2. Seems like you'd be better off with something more rugged and tough. Look for the prophet MX if you have the budget, or the prophet (Though it might not help much).

mtbr member
    I too had to make the same desicion being that all of us are all mountain type of riders. I like to do the "fun" every now and then but my primary purpose was to get a 24 hours race bike and a really plush XC bike. The Rush offers that and so I couldn't be happier. I know that the Prophet is made and happier when doing drops and blazing DH but can sometimes be tougher to handling when riding XC because of the geometry.
    "hit hard, hit fast, hit often HOOAH!!!!"

Blog of mine: http://mtnsprts.blogspot.com

LA CHÈVRE
    The Prophet is still a very decent XC bike I think. It's taller than than a Rush but in XC mode, it has the same head angle and a very good riding position for XC riding, climing, flowing through twisty tight trails.

Terrible: I think a Prophet would be a better choice for you, a MX would be even better since it has tougher wheels and parts and a stiffer rear end. Of course, it weighs more but it's more built to handle jumps, drops and rougher riding.

But in the meantime, learning to be smoother will do wonders. It will save some components, save you from some crashes and will make you faster.

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

mtbr member
    And as a note from someone who's building up their Prophet to be tough rather than light, I suggest getting the 6 so you can update components yourself rather than relying on Cannondale's suggestions. Just a thought. My inexpensive 6 will soon be as burly as an MX; and probably just as expensive.

mtbr member
    1. Handling - I like the rush suspension better (The Fox shock is wayyyy better than the manitou), but the prophet weight distribution is better - I think the rush has too much weight over the front end.
    My rush 6 came with the manitou swinger rear shock. Would having a compression adjustable shock help some? Is it possible to buy a slightly longer rear shock to get a bit more travel? I know it would steepen the head angle some but the extra travel would be nice.

I think I'll stick with the rush for now and slowly upgrade the parts. Then maybe next spring pick up a free ride frame.

I run as much pressure as I can in the tires I now have. I swapped the IRC serac xc's for some kenda nevegals and it seems to get less flats now. I tried some specialized 2.35" tires but the rubbed the chainstays way to much.

I'm wanting to do a few things like upgrade my cranks and brakes before I really pass up the rush completly.

Also once I smashed the rear rim I switched to a mavic 223 rim and it is hlding up well.

thanks for all the advice guys! Keep it coming.

mtbr member
    I had the chance of riding my brother's Rush through the weekend, and I'll tell you it's both a nimble and tough bike, but the lack of cushing kept me from flying off the ground. It's fast and you can really feel the stroke of every pedal beat you lay on the crank, but the short travel was issue when the going got rough. But a fast climber indeed, never had the performance I had with the Rush on the uphill sections I'm used to go on my Enduro. The Rush is a switchback killer, and most of the time I had to remind that I was actually going through all that without notice!

From my breef experience with a Prophet, I can tell that, for me, the Prophet beats the Rush, hands down, in overall performance. And on the climbing report, even I rode only one short section on the Prophet, it did extremely well for a 5.5-inch bike, so I wouldn't miss the Rush that much.

Now which one is stronger, it's hard to tell, since the Rush frame seems very reliable, and the swingarm is very similar, if not the same, to the Prophet's. What really keeps it from shinning a lot more is the short travel, but hey, that's why there is the Prophet, and those who moves toward the Rush are interested in high-voltage pedaling power, so can't see the short legs actually as an issue. They are two different breeds, and each one has its intended use, so you better see if you wanna fly low or fly high. That will lead you to the right choice.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by terrible
    Can you notice the extra travel? Is it any stiffer than the rush when pedalling out of the sadal?
    I definitely notice the extra travel- and my riding is pretty much 'agressive trail riding' with some steep rocky hills every now and then. For me, one of the biggest differences is the higher bottom bracket of the Prophet. With the Rush I had to be much more careful going through rough trail sections- in fact I had even switched to 170mm cranks to help with the low clearance. The Rush rides more like a sports car as opposed to the Prophet which is more of an SUV.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    the low bb on the Rush (mine is an 06) has really been bothering me lately. Digging in a lot of pedals. I run both shock pressures a little high for my weight and really never have had a problem with the drops and gnarly downhills. Never ridden a prophet tho, so I can offer no comparative advice.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I had this same decision to make, and not being a big jumping guy and living in SE Pennsylvania, I went with the Rush (also b/c I got a great deal on it) Sometimes riding really rooted and rocky trails, I kind of wish I went with the prophet, but being a former road rider the Rush position feels pretty natural to me. For those of you who have the Rush and don't race, how much can you push it on aggressive technical singletrack or light downhill use (kind of like easy super-d courses) with big rocks and roots, but no real jumps or large dropoffs.

mnt bike laws of physics
    My rush 6 came with the manitou swinger rear shock. Would having a compression adjustable shock help some? Is it possible to buy a slightly longer rear shock to get a bit more travel? I know it would steepen the head angle some but the extra travel would be nice.

thanks for all the advice guys! Keep it coming.
    The prophet would have been a better choice, but since you are keeping the Rush...
    Do you mean Manitou Radium rear shock?
    My Rush (and I believe all Rushes) came with a 7.5 shock with a 1.75" stroke. The Manitou Swinger is an awesome shock for the rising rate suspension like you have on the Rush. The aluminum Rush can easily take a 7.5 X 2" stroke shock which would both keep your geometry the same and give you more travel. It would be like a Prophet rear end. VERY SWEET!!!! I have done this. MUCH MUCH better than before!!!

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I also ride SE Pennsylvania rocky and rooty stuff. The Rush feels so good overall, you just have to be aware of your pedals and chainrings, but this gets much easier over time. I don't think I would want to change the handling of the bike at all, so I deal with the minor shortcomings of the design.

Last week I smashed one of the cheap Eggbeaters that came stock on the bike when I clipped a rock flying downhill. I think I'll have to get some Candy SLs as a replacement so there is a bit of a body to protect the clipping mechanism.

I sometimes think I'd like a Prophet, but out on the trails I realize I would prefer the Rush for 95% of the trail. I'm a lightweight at 6'0" 155lbs, so I don't need the bike to provide that much cushion. The 4.3" rides like a bigger bike for me than it would for a 200 pounder. That said I'll keep pimping out the Rush as I go. It's easy to think you made the wrong decision buying a bike, just get it dialed in and go out and ride it.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006

Rush carbon

I ride a Rush Carbon 1,stiff setup, im 5'11 200 lb's. I live in Northeast PA and it's mountains, rocks roots, some drops (4 ft. or so), lots of loose sedimentary rock and soil.... the rush handles it well.... low bottom bracket while great for handling can catch a rock now and then (may pop on a light bash guard) but I am for the most part able to fly down downhill sections once I pick the line, even at 200 lb's bike feels like its got more travel then it does when descending. i have a 6" AM setup that was my 1st full suspension bike, and while it descends better than the rush, the rush is very capable and as an above poster mentioned, 95% of the trail theres nothing else id rather ride, and the other 5% is rideable with the rush.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by yogiprophet
    The prophet would have been a better choice, but since you are keeping the Rush...
    Do you mean Manitou Radium rear shock?
    My Rush (and I believe all Rushes) came with a 7.5 shock with a 1.75" stroke. The Manitou Swinger is an awesome shock for the rising rate suspension like you have on the Rush. The aluminum Rush can easily take a 7.5 X 2" stroke shock which would both keep your geometry the same and give you more travel. It would be like a Prophet rear end. VERY SWEET!!!! I have done this. MUCH MUCH better than before!!!
    Does your tire hit the seat tube? What size tire do you run?

mnt bike laws of physics
    Quote Originally Posted by edge
    NOT AT ALL! Not even close. If you are interested, you should take your shock out - lay your bike on the groung - move the rearend so that the shock mounts are 5 inches apart and see for yourself.
    I have a carbon frame, so for me if I were to get all 2" of stroke, the shock body would hit the main frame at the front shock mount. This is because the carbon protrudes so much more than the aluminum. With the alum. this would not be an issue.
    I have measured my stroke at the most extreme of situations and it was about 1-7/8" for me which is my limit. If is was to hit the frame it would be so damped(because of the increasing damping of the SPV at the end of the stroke) that it would be moving quite slowly at that point. That is the reason the SPV works so well with the Rush/Prophet rising rate rear susp. - because the damping ramps up at the end to compensate for the reduced mechanical advantage for which the shock is being exposed.
    It turned a mediocre bike into a stellar one.

mtbr member
    I'm not sure about the carbon rush but with my aluminum, there is no way to put a longer shock on. The center of the swingarm would hit the seat tube. As is there is less than 3/16" between the frame/swingarm at full ride height.

mnt bike laws of physics
    I'm not sure about the carbon rush but with my aluminum, there is no way to put a longer shock on. The center of the swingarm would hit the seat tube. As is there is less than 3/16" between the frame/swingarm at full ride height.
    The manitou is only about 1/8" longer at most, but the stroke is longer. 2" verses 1-3/4"
    And a way better bump absorber. WAAAAAY Better!!! While still giving you a great platform. Just did a hill climb race this weekend with it. 3rd to the top out of many in my field. NO Problem with out of the saddle efforts and absorbs anything you hit - without having to flip a friggin' lever!
    You will never look back if you try it

mnt bike laws of physics

OOPS! I meant 5-1/2" Apart

Quote Originally Posted by edge
    From the 2 shock mounts.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    I think after reading this thread it answered alot of my question but I will post this anyways. It does sound as though After riding the Rush for a bit I should upgrade to the Prophet.

So I just got an 08 Rush 6, It has a Recon on the front not lefty. I was wondering what is the limit as far as pushing the bike all mountain. I am not a very experienced rider but i love single track and some jumps here and there.

The main reason I got the bike was because of the price. I paid $360 for it, and its my first full susp bike. I had been riding a 29er SS for the past year and the more trail riding i did the less I liked it so I found the Rush.

Its a large frame and I am 185pounds 6'2", which I think is right on the border line of needing an XL frame. I have the rear shock set up for a 190 pounds. every thing I have said said theses bikes are real sturdy and can take a beating so does any one really punish theres?? how has it been holding up??