mtbr member

Prophet vs (newer) Jekyll - how do they match up?

After doing some searching, I found a few people draw comparisons between the Prophet and the older Jekyll (I believe it had 100mm rear wheel travel), but haven't seen much with the newer ones (135mm rear wheel travel).

I currently ride a 2004 Jekyll with a Push'ed rear shock, which I really enjoy. I love the ergonomics of the bike, the way it pedals, the way it handles, and the way it soaks up bumps. At the same time, I always find myself mulling over the concept of the ideal "All Mountain" bike. With less weight and more travel, does the Prophet do everything the newer Jekyll does and more? Or is the difference fairly minimal? Or, do the Prophet's quirks (notably the "flexy" rear end) offset its advantages?
    Last edited by MrCrash; 01-15-2008 at 06:51 PM.

mtbr member
    Not familiar with the Jekyll, but I feel the Prophet can truly be called "all mountain". I take mine up and down and all around. You'll see people here configuring them from the light <30 lb range up to heavier >30 lb [like me].

Also stay tuned for the new "Moto"!

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    The newer one felt the same as the older. Just deeper travel to bounce around in Not a bad bike, but the Prophet is a much better climber/sprinter, no bouncey bouncey bouncey And no, the Propedal/Swinger 3 way shocks didn't solve it. PUSHing them was then only saving grace.
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    The Prophet has almost an inch longer wheelbase than the Jekyll.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MendonCycleSmith
    The newer one felt the same as the older. Just deeper travel to bounce around in Not a bad bike, but the Prophet is a much better climber/sprinter, no bouncey bouncey bouncey And no, the Propedal/Swinger 3 way shocks didn't solve it. PUSHing them was then only saving grace.
    Since I've had mine PUSHed, I'm guessing mine should feel pretty darn close to a well-set-up Prophet...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pedaler845
    The Prophet has almost an inch longer wheelbase than the Jekyll.
    I wonder if that'll make it feel a little unwieldy compared to my Jekyll? That was one of the gripes I had about my Enduro SL, which I ended up selling...

got the dhr...
    the prophet swingarm is not flexy. only rush owners say that. i have no experience with a jeykll, but i just want to point out that cedric gracia didnt like the jeykll, so he designed the prophet (sort of) the prophet feels good to me, but if you dont really need to replace your jeykll, then i would just stick with it untill the new c'dales come out in a couple months.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Night and day differences between the Jeykll and the Prophet. To answer your question, yes...the Prophet can do anything and everything the Jeykll can, can do more and do it all better! A Pushed shock is nice however you could improve your chassis. A new Prophet will afford you a wealth of adjust ability and efficiency over your Jeykll; you will have more pleasant climbs uphill and a sensational descent.

I have a Prophet with a FOX 36; with the help of the adjustable shock mount and my TALAS adjust on my fork, I can change my bottom bracket height from low 13" to mid 14". Also, I have a head tube angle range of 64.5-69...think Cannondale Judge and Cannondale Rush...I have a Rudge!

Prophet is the best bike ever!

Quote Originally Posted by MrCrash
    Since I've had mine PUSHed, I'm guessing mine should feel pretty darn close to a well-set-up Prophet...
    The efficiency should be closer, but the Jekyll has a much more rearward bias in saddle position. You feel very "on top" of a Prophet, and more "in the backseat" of a Jekyll.

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    The efficiency should be closer, but the Jekyll has a much more rearward bias in saddle position. You feel very "on top" of a Prophet, and more "in the backseat" of a Jekyll.
    That's great info - and another reason I preferred the Jekyll over my Enduro SL when descending, despite the 15mm "handicap" in terms of travel.

I'm looking forward to finding all this out for myself the next time I make it out to a Cannondale demo. My goal isn't just to develop my ideal all mountain bike - more specifically, I want to develop my ideal Lefty-equipped Downieville bike

Quote Originally Posted by MrCrash
    I want to develop my ideal Lefty-equipped Downieville bike
    Remember, you can put a Lefty on anything!
    Attached Images Attached Images

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mylesofsmyles
    Night and day differences between the Jeykll and the Prophet. To answer your question, yes...the Prophet can do anything and everything the Jeykll can, can do more and do it all better! A Pushed shock is nice however you could improve your chassis. A new Prophet will afford you a wealth of adjust ability and efficiency over your Jeykll; you will have more pleasant climbs uphill and a sensational descent.

I have a Prophet with a FOX 36; with the help of the adjustable shock mount and my TALAS adjust on my fork, I can change my bottom bracket height from low 13" to mid 14". Also, I have a head tube angle range of 64.5-69...think Cannondale Judge and Cannondale Rush...I have a Rudge!

Prophet is the best bike ever!
    I'm looking forward to trying one for myself. For the time being, I figure I can make the upgrades to my Jekyll, and transfer the parts over to a Prophet if I end up liking it that much more

mtbr member
    Remember, you can put a Lefty on anything!
    Hmmm, lefty max on a hardtail. Now that's just damn sexy