Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Oct 2007

Prophet Upgrade?

What upgrades have you done to your Prophet.
    I have Shimano DX flats, a Shimano XT drivetrain, a Fox RP23 and some Maxxis Advantage tyres put on. All AM. Also riding in the XC shock position - What do you use. Any other ideas.

mtbr member
    What wheels do you have? I have two Prophets and both are completely custom. I found that the Rockshox Monarch is a much smoother shock than the RP23. On my light weight prophet I have a Lefty Max PBR OPI, which was a great upgrade IMO. My other Prophet is an MX with a 36 Talas, Easton Haven wheels, and 1x10 speed SRAM drivetrain. Both have 2012 XT brakes, which are amazing. I use both shock positions every ride.

LA CHÈVRE
    I had changed the wheels, saddle, tires, went for a 2x9 transmission, different seatpost clamp, rotors... then changed the transmission and wheels back to stock. Sold some Crossmax SL's... financed some upgrades on bikes I ride a lot more often. In fact, my Prophet is for sale as I almost never use anymore.

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    The most important upgrade I did to my Prophet was adding a chain guide. The chain used to fall off several times each ride. Adding the Blackspire Stinger E-type chain guide (with a Shimano XT E-type front derailleur) was a huge improvement, especially when using my Prophet for park/downhill riding.

I never use the FR shock setting, not even when riding lift-assisted downhill. It simply lowers the BB too much, resulting in my pedals and bash guard spending more time on the ground than off it.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    I also am always in XC position. I was told by some hardcore experts that it is the best way to climb. Your reason makes even more sense on my trails as they have lots of roots and rocks,

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Duncan1104 View Post
    What wheels do you have? I have two Prophets and both are completely custom. I found that the Rockshox Monarch is a much smoother shock than the RP23. On my light weight prophet I have a Lefty Max PBR OPI, which was a great upgrade IMO. My other Prophet is an MX with a 36 Talas, Easton Haven wheels, and 1x10 speed SRAM drivetrain. Both have 2012 XT brakes, which are amazing. I use both shock positions every ride.
    can you elaborate on your experiences with those two shocks?...only because i had my sights set on the rp23 for my prophet...i been using the stock fox float for like 5 years, thing has always been set it and forget it...but always wanted to get something that would be a little more active...i dont know much about the monarch actually
    "He can make even a global summit meeting seem like a kegger." M. Dowd, NY Times, 19 July 2006

mtbr member
    With all the RP23's I've ridden they continuously have stiction on compression and even on rebound. The stiction doesn't ever seem to go away during the ride either. The Monarch is smooth right off the start. No noticeable stiction at any time. With the Monarch, the bike just seems to float over bumps. Also, can't forget that the Monarch is full rebuildable, no need to send it back to the manufacturer for anything. Last, the highest end Monarch(new) costs about $100 less than an RP23(new).

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    With all the RP23's I've ridden they continuously have stiction on compression and even on rebound. The stiction doesn't ever seem to go away during the ride either. The Monarch is smooth right off the start. No noticeable stiction at any time. With the Monarch, the bike just seems to float over bumps. Also, can't forget that the Monarch is full rebuildable, no need to send it back to the manufacturer for anything. Last, the highest end Monarch(new) costs about $100 less than an RP23(new).
    interesting...i did a cursory internet search and i turned up a pic or two of a prophet with the monarch on it...i was dissappointed to see that they were mounted with the fox style top hat shock hardware...i thought that these rockshox had a differect style mounting hardware i.e. a 3-piece through pin with two collars...that had a bit less stiction compared to fox top hat...?
    "He can make even a global summit meeting seem like a kegger." M. Dowd, NY Times, 19 July 2006

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by adamantane View Post
    interesting...i did a cursory internet search and i turned up a pic or two of a prophet with the monarch on it...i was dissappointed to see that they were mounted with the fox style top hat shock hardware...i thought that these rockshox had a differect style mounting hardware i.e. a 3-piece through pin with two collars...that had a bit less stiction compared to fox top hat...?
    I'll see if I can grab some pics of my Prophet with the Monarch. I'm using the 3-piece style reducers. I guess I should try the 3-piece on a spare RP23 to see if it makes a difference, then I'll let you know if I notice anything.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    can you elaborate on your experiences with those two shocks?...only because i had my sights set on the rp23 for my prophet...i been using the stock fox float for like 5 years, thing has always been set it and forget it...but always wanted to get something that would be a little more active...i dont know much about the monarch actually
    If you decide to buy an aftermarket shock for the prophet, remember that it should be tuned to fit the Prophet's suspension characteristics. This is due to the regressive leverage of the Prophet, if you put on it a shock that is not correctly tuned, it will work well in the first half (or so) of the travel, then if you get too deep in the travel it will constantly bottom out. I had this experience with a Pushed Fox Van R that was not properly tuned for a Prophet.

I'm still running the stock Manitou Swinger 4-way air, it's really a great shock (and from what I've heard it's a huge improvement over the Swinger 3-way that some Prophets came with).

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ventle View Post
    If you decide to buy an aftermarket shock for the prophet, remember that it should be tuned to fit the Prophet's suspension characteristics. This is due to the regressive leverage of the Prophet, if you put on it a shock that is not correctly tuned, it will work well in the first half (or so) of the travel, then if you get too deep in the travel it will constantly bottom out. I had this experience with a Pushed Fox Van R that was not properly tuned for a Prophet.

I'm still running the stock Manitou Swinger 4-way air, it's really a great shock (and from what I've heard it's a huge improvement over the Swinger 3-way that some Prophets came with).
    I agree with this. The main thing is finding the right dimension shock with the standard size air can, not the high volume one.

mtbr member
    I agree with this. The main thing is finding the right dimension shock with the standard size air can, not the high volume one.
    Or maybe its opposite. If you watch rock shock info.
    http://media1.hibike.com/docs/monarc...rage_ratio.pdf

If regressive is same as fallingrate, that mean, with prophet shock size 200x50. Leverage ratio is 140:50=2,8. so info says its E or C.
    And because of shock dimension 200x50, only C remains, witch is high volume. Or is it tune high?

What is difference between standard and high volume can?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by xluossa View Post
    Or maybe its opposite. If you watch rock shock info.
    http://media1.hibike.com/docs/monarc...rage_ratio.pdf

If regressive is same as fallingrate, that mean, with prophet shock size 200x50. Leverage ratio is 140:50=2,8. so info says its E or C.
    And because of shock dimension 200x50, only C remains, witch is high volume. Or is it tune high?

What is difference between standard and high volume can?
    According to the Prophet tech manual, it has 3:1 regressive leverage ratio. So I believe that it means that the proper shock for the bike is high tune with standard volume air can. The standard volume air can makes the shock ramp up, where the HV air can is more linear. To get the 2 of these together is somewhat difficult so a special order is probably necessary.

Adamantane- sorry I haven't gotten any pictures, my camera stopped working... Anyway I did try the three piece hardware on my spare RP23 and it still had that same stictiony business.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    According to the Prophet tech manual, it has 3:1 regressive leverage ratio. So I believe that it means that the proper shock for the bike is high tune with standard volume air can. The standard volume air can makes the shock ramp up, where the HV air can is more linear. To get the 2 of these together is somewhat difficult so a special order is probably necessary.

Adamantane- sorry I haven't gotten any pictures, my camera stopped working... Anyway I did try the three piece hardware on my spare RP23 and it still had that same stictiony business.
    hey thanks for the info guys...i will look into a monarch, presumably just the base model, nothing fancy that will not work on the prophet frame...for now i'll just stick with the stocker...it has never gotten stuck down or otherwise failed so ride what i got as they say..but thanks for helping me aviod a bad buy

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    hey can you give me some more help...i have been looking around at the rockshox monarch..which exact model did you put on your prophet? i see low tune and mid tune..and rc3 and 4.2 blah blah...i'm worried i will buy one that is not the correct damping for the single pivot...thanks again!!

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Ya that would be great as I have a high volume RP23 and its just fine for me but if you can suggest an action to what already seems fine to me, I'll probably do it to.

mtbr member
    hey can you give me some more help...i have been looking around at the rockshox monarch..which exact model did you put on your prophet? i see low tune and mid tune..and rc3 and 4.2 blah blah...i'm worried i will buy one that is not the correct damping for the single pivot...thanks again!!
    I actually just got an Monarch Plus RC3 for my Prophet MX. They apparently don't make the Plus RC3 particular shock in the high tune, but they do make it with a standard size air can. So anyway I ended up getting the RC3 with medium compression tune and standard size air can. This shock kind of amazes me in how well it soaks up the bumps at speed.

My other Prophet has a 4.2 (also med compression tune) that I originally made the mistake of getting it with the HV air can. With the HV can I was constantly blowing through the travel, so I bought the standard size one through my LBS. Since I put on the standard can the shock feels much better and ramps up at the end of the stroke nicely.

So in my findings, IMO the most important thing for the shock on the Prophet is standard size air can. Finding the high compression tune with the standard size air can is probably only available through your LBS.

If you are concerned about the med compression tune, your best option would be to get a custom tuned shock from Push Industries. Of course this route is going to cost more.

I hope that helps.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    I actually just got an Monarch Plus RC3 for my Prophet MX. They apparently don't make the Plus RC3 particular shock in the high tune, but they do make it with a standard size air can. So anyway I ended up getting the RC3 with medium compression tune and standard size air can. This shock kind of amazes me in how well it soaks up the bumps at speed.

My other Prophet has a 4.2 (also med compression tune) that I originally made the mistake of getting it with the HV air can. With the HV can I was constantly blowing through the travel, so I bought the standard size one through my LBS. Since I put on the standard can the shock feels much better and ramps up at the end of the stroke nicely.

So in my findings, IMO the most important thing for the shock on the Prophet is standard size air can. Finding the high compression tune with the standard size air can is probably only available through your LBS.

If you are concerned about the med compression tune, your best option would be to get a custom tuned shock from Push Industries. Of course this route is going to cost more.

I hope that helps.
    yeah that does help...so medium tune will work...also feel a little bit more confident since i found some models of rize 140 were spec'd with monarch as well

mtbr member
    ditched the Lefty and put a Pushed PIKE 454 on the front.
    I only ride in the 67.5* HA setting. The steep setting feels too XC for me.
    I have zero problem climbing in the slack setting...I'm used to riding DH & FR so it just feels natural.
    Do yourself a favor if you ride aggressive trails...use the slack feature.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Good info on the shocks. Sounds like a Push Monarch would be a improvement over my RP23.

2008 Prophet 1 size large (last year for the Prophet and top of the model line in white) Has the Talas 140 fork which I'm going to replace soon with something that works better and has a 15mm axle (shock maybe also). Even with the 650B wheels which raises the BB height in the FR 67.5HA position I'm getting to many pedal hits. Cane Creek has the Angle Set for the CD head tube size so in the XC 69 degree position I can now slacken the HA all the way from 69 to 67.5 in .5 degree increments by using the Angle Set (and keep a nice BB height). Win Win...I think.

650B F/B (HIGHLY recommend the front conversion for almost any 26" wheel bike and will slacken the HA about .5 degree)
    Pacenti Neo-Moto 2.3 tires
    650B Stans Flow rims laced with Sapim Force triple butted spokes and blue and silver DT Swiss nips (sahweeet and bombproof)
    Hadley 72POI rear hub with 10mm thru axle (converts easily to many axle sizes)
    Hope Evo Pro 2 front hub with 9mm thru axle (converts easily to all current size axles)
    Aluminum handle DT Swiss RWS thru axles
    E-13 Turbocharger bash (running 2 x 9 with XO long cage RD which is stock on the bike)
    Hope blue anodized 70mm stem (pure artwork)
    Hope blue anodized seat post clamp
    Easton EA 70 28" wide bars
    ODI Rouge lockon grips with blue anodized collars
    Rase dropper seat post
    Straitline Blue Ice pedals
    Sram 990 11-34 cassette (would like a 36T cog with the 650B wheel)
    Sram PC 991 Cross Step chain

Stock GXP crank and BB still working fine but have replaced the front rings 1 time

Need to install
    Shimano SLX M665E compact cage FD (dual ring specific) which is shorter and may offer crisper front shifting and not be quite so close to the 650B tire in the granny ring (hasn't been an issue though)

XO medium cage RD

Upgrade the white Juicy 7 brakes to some white Elixers and finally put on some new cables all around.
    Last edited by skidad; 12-09-2011 at 08:57 AM.
    2013 Banshee Spitfire V2 650b

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by skidad View Post
    Good info on the shocks. Sounds like a Push Monarch would be a improvement over my RP23.

2008 Prophet 1 size large (last year for the Prophet and top of the model line in white) Has the Talas 140 fork which I'm going to replace soon with something that works better and has a 15mm axle (shock maybe also). Even with the 650B wheels which raises the BB height in the FR 67.5HA position I'm getting to many pedal hits. Cane Creek has the Angle Set for the CD head tube size so in the XC 69 degree position I can now slacken the HA all the way from 69 to 67.5 in .5 degree increments by using the Angle Set (and keep a nice BB height). Win Win...I think.

650B F/B (HIGHLY recommend the front conversion for almost any 26" wheel bike and will slacken the HA about .5 degree)
    Pacenti Neo-Moto 2.3 tires
    650B Stans Flow rims laced with Sapim Force triple butted spokes and blue and silver DT Swiss nips (sahweeet and bombproof)
    Hadley 72POI rear hub with 10mm thru axle (converts easily to many axle sizes)
    Hope Evo Pro 2 front hub with 9mm thru axle (converts easily to all current size axles)
    Aluminum handle DT Swiss RWS thru axles
    E-13 Turbocharger bash (running 2 x 9 with XO long cage RD which is stock on the bike)
    Hope blue anodized 70mm stem (pure artwork)
    Hope blue anodized seat post clamp
    Easton EA 70 28" wide bars
    ODI Rouge lockon grips with blue anodized collars
    Rase dropper seat post
    Straitline Blue Ice pedals
    Sram 990 11-34 cassette (would like a 36T cog with the 650B wheel)
    Sram PC 991 Cross Step chain

Stock GXP crank and BB still working fine but have replaced the front rings 1 time

Need to install
    Shimano SLX M665E compact cage FD (dual ring specific) which is shorter and may offer crisper front shifting and not be quite so close to the 650B tire in the granny ring (hasn't been an issue though)

XO medium cage RD

Upgrade the white Juicy 7 brakes to some white Elixers and finally put on some new cables all around.
    Sounds like you've gotten your rig dialed in. How do you like the Rase seatpost? The reviews I have seen are hit or miss.

mtbr member
    Ive been thinking about 650B as well on my prophet. I think as far as upgrading goes, it depends on what parts your frame came with. for my '07 3, i replaced the X7 shifters to X9. and ditching the Juicy brakes. i HATE THEM! and the talas rocks. i have blown 2 leftys. fox rocks.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Sounds like you've gotten your rig dialed in. How do you like the Rase seatpost? The reviews I have seen are hit or miss.
    Overall I'm happy with it, especially after picking it up for 1/2 price and hardly used. I had RASE change my lever to the longer available one which honestly is not long but just right. The short is really short.

I use the Rase cover to protect the shaft from dirt and grit and the bottom line is the post always works which is more than I read on many of the newer posts available. Lite coating of Tri Flow keeps it moving smoothly.

I have the same gripe with the cable where it enters the post as it can pushed down easily so I just keep an eye on it so it goes into the post in a smooth arc.

It's almost to adjustable with a setting every 1/2'. I know I could fix that by putting in additional set screws to block certain adjust holes/positions. Just haven't taken the post out to do it yet.

Has some play but not a biggie and I never notice it while riding and my seat has never budged in the clamp.

Not alot available for 27.2 size and this post just reliably works without the glam factor of newer products.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by skidad View Post
    Overall I'm happy with it, especially after picking it up for 1/2 price and hardly used. I had RASE change my lever to the longer available one which honestly is not long but just right. The short is really short.

I use the Rase cover to protect the shaft from dirt and grit and the bottom line is the post always works which is more than I read on many of the newer posts available. Lite coating of Tri Flow keeps it moving smoothly.

I have the same gripe with the cable where it enters the post as it can pushed down easily so I just keep an eye on it so it goes into the post in a smooth arc.

It's almost to adjustable with a setting every 1/2'. I know I could fix that by putting in additional set screws to block certain adjust holes/positions. Just haven't taken the post out to do it yet.

Has some play but not a biggie and I never notice it while riding and my seat has never budged in the clamp.

Not alot available for 27.2 size and this post just reliably works without the glam factor of newer products.
    Thanks for the info. Can you comment about there being any play in the post?

mtbr member
    May 2005
    No up/down play what so ever

At the nose of the saddle a total of 3mm play side to side. So 1.5mm each way off center.

Some it might drive crazy but for me it's a non issue. Never notice it while riding.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast