mtbr member

Prophet Swingarm Recall Question

I bought a second hand Prophet MX frame last year and I believe that the swingarm is what is creaking. I've checked every other possible thing that has caused creaking on my other Prophet to creak, but no luck.

Anyway the swingarm has the serial number that was listed in the recall notice. I remember that there was supposed to be a fix for the creaking other than getting a new swingarm. Something like filling the hotbox area with some kind of oil? Does anyone have have any of the specifics to the process? What kind of oil is supposed to be used?

I did some searches, but didn't really find any solid information. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I have an 05 Prophet that has the same number swing arm in the recall and does the tick - tick - tick when the crank is cycled and the noise seems to come from just behind the hot box area. I took it to my LBS (Eric's) and they claimed to have had the Cannondale factory rep check it when he/she was here. I assume they used the procedure that Cannodale published. They came back saying that there was no noise and it tested out. Well, from the first crank rotaiton when I got it back it still makes the tick - tick - tick... Things I have tried to get rid of the noise: Different: crank, bb, pedals, rear derailure, wheels, stem, cables, seat post, seat, seat clamp and removed the shock bolts and switched them around. I also tried lubing up the replacable dr hanger and front dr mounting surfaces. I am sure the swing arm is the cause of the noise. But can't get anywhere with Cannondale. I too have thought about putting some expanding foam inside the swing arm but have not heard of putting oil in there. I can't see it hurting anything to try a lubricant to quiet the noise. If I do try that I will post results. If you do this LMK what you find, eh?

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan1104 View Post
    I bought a second hand Prophet MX frame last year and I believe that the swingarm is what is creaking. I've checked every other possible thing that has caused creaking on my other Prophet to creak, but no luck.

Anyway the swingarm has the serial number that was listed in the recall notice. I remember that there was supposed to be a fix for the creaking other than getting a new swingarm. Something like filling the hotbox area with some kind of oil? Does anyone have have any of the specifics to the process? What kind of oil is supposed to be used?

I did some searches, but didn't really find any solid information. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    i have an 05 prophet with the affected swingarm, it used to bother me but until i read this post i had forgotten about it....thanks.....

here is a link with a few potential fixes - from sacrificing virgins to warm oil....

best of luck.

oh yeah, mine still creaks.

Creaking Prophet Pivot: Update

mtbr member
    ipod solves the issue...
    just for the heck of it...check the welds. My brake side drop out weld sheered off a month ago.
    Not sure if it made a noise though...always have tunes going.
    It is (was) a 2005 model.

mtbr member
    Mascobe - Yup I've tried all different components to narrow down the the cause of the noise, but nothing. I'll let you know how the oil thing goes if I try it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mascobe View Post
    I have an 05 Prophet that has the same number swing arm in the recall and does the tick - tick - tick when the crank is cycled and the noise seems to come from just behind the hot box area. I took it to my LBS (Eric's) and they claimed to have had the Cannondale factory rep check it when he/she was here. I assume they used the procedure that Cannodale published. They came back saying that there was no noise and it tested out. Well, from the first crank rotaiton when I got it back it still makes the tick - tick - tick... Things I have tried to get rid of the noise: Different: crank, bb, pedals, rear derailure, wheels, stem, cables, seat post, seat, seat clamp and removed the shock bolts and switched them around. I also tried lubing up the replacable dr hanger and front dr mounting surfaces. I am sure the swing arm is the cause of the noise. But can't get anywhere with Cannondale. I too have thought about putting some expanding foam inside the swing arm but have not heard of putting oil in there. I can't see it hurting anything to try a lubricant to quiet the noise. If I do try that I will post results. If you do this LMK what you find, eh?
    Kinta - Thanks for the thread and sorry about reminding you about the creak.

Quote Originally Posted by kinta View Post
    i have an 05 prophet with the affected swingarm, it used to bother me but until i read this post i had forgotten about it....thanks.....

here is a link with a few potential fixes - from sacrificing virgins to warm oil....

best of luck.

oh yeah, mine still creaks.

Creaking Prophet Pivot: Update
    Freerider - Yeah the ipod covers up the issue, but I feel too disconnected if I have headphones in my ears. I've also been checking for cracks since its a used frame.

Quote Originally Posted by freeriderB View Post
    ipod solves the issue...
    just for the heck of it...check the welds. My brake side drop out weld sheered off a month ago.
    Not sure if it made a noise though...always have tunes going.
    It is (was) a 2005 model.

Ridin' dirty!
    Oil really does the trick...I used Motorcycle chain lube on a friend's Prophet as it is runny like water when you spray it but when it dries it gets tacky and sticky and stays put...
    "Common sense isn't always that common!"
    Custom Prophet and Custom Delta V

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cdalemaniac View Post
    Oil really does the trick...I used Motorcycle chain lube on a friend's Prophet as it is runny like water when you spray it but when it dries it gets tacky and sticky and stays put...
    Thanks for the tip! Do you have a recommendation on what brand of motorcycle chain lube?

Ridin' dirty!
    Shoot....I don't remember the name but it was a foam kind.....go to a store that sells ATV's and ask for the chainlube that is foamy upon application and water resistant

mtbr member
    Okay, so here's an update. I went down to the motorcycle shop and bought some PJ1 Blue Label chain lube. It was about $7 for a small can. It was not foaming like Cdalemaniac recommended, but nonetheless it fixed the creak! It does dry nice and tacky though which I believe is key. I sprayed a generous amount into the hotbox via the hole for the rear derailleur and swished it around. I then let it dry for about an hour in a vertical position (hotbox facing up, dropouts facing the floor). After that I reinstalled everything and went for a ride, no creaking since.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    thats cool - I got a 2005 Prophet and my LBS replaced it in 2008 because They said it needed it. No Charge!

Ridin' dirty!
    Quote Originally Posted by Duncan1104 View Post
    Okay, so here's an update. I went down to the motorcycle shop and bought some PJ1 Blue Label chain lube. It was about $7 for a small can. It was not foaming like Cdalemaniac recommended, but nonetheless it fixed the creak! It does dry nice and tacky though which I believe is key. I sprayed a generous amount into the hotbox via the hole for the rear derailleur and swished it around. I then let it dry for about an hour in a vertical position (hotbox facing up, dropouts facing the floor). After that I reinstalled everything and went for a ride, no creaking since.
    Glad it worked, man! The Prophet is one sweet ride and I kinda regret I sold mine and bought a Rush.....I always check eBay for that mint Prophet frame and probably buy one again some day....I don't like the new made in Taiwan cannondale crap and will stay "old school"....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cdalemaniac View Post
    Glad it worked, man! The Prophet is one sweet ride and I kinda regret I sold mine and bought a Rush.....I always check eBay for that mint Prophet frame and probably buy one again some day....I don't like the new made in Taiwan cannondale crap and will stay "old school"....
    I'm pretty happy, too. I love Prophets! It might be why I have two! And I agree about the stuff made overseas. I bought my last new Cannondale two years ago and I'm not coming back, unfortunately.