mtbr member

New question here. prophet - steer tube length question

I have a medium Prophet, and I am in the process of buying a used fork. Since it will require a reducer headset, I need to know the minimum steer tube length I can go with (I like running a couple of spacers too).

I measured the headtube with the stock headset bearings and I believe it was ~ 5.5" (does this sound right)?

If it is, could I get away with a used fork with a 7.5" steer tube? or do I need it longer?

thanks.

Can't stop the Prophet
    Freerider you have to factor in several things. The prophet was designed with a 1.5 to accept the Lefty fork. This doesn't mean that you are obligated to install that specific fork, it does however mean that you must compensate for the differences. You must leave enough space in between the crown of the fork and the bottom of the headtube for the rear brake line as well as the shifter cable. See my setup below:

Now keep in mind that I have not done this as I have used the FSA reducer cups/inserts. They have not left enough spacing and the clearance is tight. Due to the design of the fork I am using there is no where for me to do the double zip-tie cable holder trick (well actually there is but I think it will look terrible). This means that at some point aside from damaging my paint I will be damaging the cables/lines as well. I cannot tell you how long my steer tube is on my fork as it was about 8 before the install and I don't know if my LBS cut it down.

My advice is not to rush into buying a fork that you will regret later. It is always better to have more steer tube than you need than not to have enough. This will also change the height of your handlebars if you want to raise them.

mtbr member

fork

Quote Originally Posted by brows141
    Freerider you have to factor in several things. The prophet was designed with a 1.5 to accept the Lefty fork. This doesn't mean that you are obligated to install that specific fork, it does however mean that you must compensate for the differences. You must leave enough space in between the crown of the fork and the bottom of the headtube for the rear brake line as well as the shifter cable. See my setup below:

Now keep in mind that I have not done this as I have used the FSA reducer cups/inserts. They have not left enough spacing and the clearance is tight. Due to the design of the fork I am using there is no where for me to do the double zip-tie cable holder trick (well actually there is but I think it will look terrible). This means that at some point aside from damaging my paint I will be damaging the cables/lines as well. I cannot tell you how long my steer tube is on my fork as it was about 8 before the install and I don't know if my LBS cut it down.

My advice is not to rush into buying a fork that you will regret later. It is always better to have more steer tube than you need than not to have enough. This will also change the height of your handlebars if you want to raise them.
    thanks for the feedback...much appreciated.
    I ALWAYS err on the side of a longer steer tube myself. It's just that all the used forks out there seem to be 7.5" and below.

I'm not as concerned with cable rub to the paint as the prophet is an 05 and has the typical scratches already.

But you're def right...I don't want to buy a fork, and then have to try to re-sell it because it won't fit.

So you're using FSA reducer cups in the C-dale stock headset?

Can't stop the Prophet
    Yes that is an FSA reducer cup. I got it off a friend of mine that wasn't using it, so I don't know where it was purchased. If you look closely at the first picture, you will notice that the bike shop that built up my bike added 2 spacers above the reducer. The first one being tapered and the second just a straight (cylindrical) spacer.

There are a variety of reducers both cup and headset styles out their. I think the cheapest I've seen them go for was $19 and the most expensive $200.

Can't stop the Prophet
    Hey just came across this:

http://www.cannondale-parts.de/epage...Products/FSA15

It appears that it is a Cannondale part, who would have figured?

mtbr member

New question here. cane creek reducer...+ pike

Yes that is an FSA reducer cup. I got it off a friend of mine that wasn't using it, so I don't know where it was purchased. If you look closely at the first picture, you will notice that the bike shop that built up my bike added 2 spacers above the reducer. The first one being tapered and the second just a straight (cylindrical) spacer.

There are a variety of reducers both cup and headset styles out their. I think the cheapest I've seen them go for was $19 and the most expensive $200.

i got my hands on a used PIKE 454. Can I run this CC reducer headset w/o issue?
    I don't want any issues with the top crown or knobs hitting.

sorry if the link doesn't work...
    http://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...g+Headset.aspx

Can't stop the Prophet
    Quote Originally Posted by freeriderB

i got my hands on a used PIKE 454. Can I run this CC reducer headset w/o issue?
    I don't want any issues with the top crown or knobs hitting.

sorry if the link doesn't work...
    http://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...g+Headset.aspx
    I would say that it will vary from fork to fork. You may need spacers to avoid rubbing and then again you may need spacers to get the right stem hieght. The way I look at it you have 2 choices 1. Trial and error or 2. Take it to your LBS .

The choice is yours bud.

mtbr member

... and if we just ... headset

I would say that it will vary from fork to fork. You may need spacers to avoid rubbing and then again you may need spacers to get the right stem hieght. The way I look at it you have 2 choices 1. Trial and error or 2. Take it to your LBS .

The choice is yours bud.
    oops...just caught a type o....fixed it!
    I'm not worried about the spacers and stem...that's easy stuff.
    It's the lower bearing stack height necessary for the pike.

I would never even question which headset...I would just do it. Unfortunately, I read some posts on MTBR and now it's in my head that I need a certain stack height if I choose not to run a Lefty.

My 2 friends have Prophets with the Marz AM fork (which came stock)...so whatever headset they are using is fine.

I'm just going to go with the highest stack size.

...my LBS does not put thought into these things...this is why I'm on MTBR all these years!

thanks.

Can't stop the Prophet
    Quote Originally Posted by freeriderB
    ......................my LBS does not put thought into these things...this is why I'm on MTBR all these years!

thanks.
    Amen to that. Either way let me know how you've made out and what you decided to go with. I may need to make some changes to my setup.

mtbr member

headset

Amen to that. Either way let me know how you've made out and what you decided to go with. I may need to make some changes to my setup.
    will do...thanks for the help!