Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    37

    Prophet - Solution for the rear-end flex

    Ive been riding a prophet 600 for couple of months now and have noticed some considerable flex in the rear end. I notice it when pedaling while cornering at high speeds...the rear end flexes to the point when the rear deraileur starts to ghost shift.
    Couple of days ago i tried the 4x version which comes with a thru 12 rear axles and the axle adds loads of stiffness to the rear end.

    I am thinking of installing a hub with a 10mm thru axle or with a 12mm thru axle with a 10mm dropouts adapter. Do you think I would gain much in terms of swingarm stiffness? Does using a 10mm adapter even make sense or does it actually make a 10mm axle out of a 12mm one?

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    6
    I would be very suprised if you were causing the rear end to flex enough to cause ghost shifting! Before making any radical changes/purchases I would carefully examine the routing and cable length of the rear derailleur cable housing. You may be right, but I have had no problems with rear end flex on my prophet, but I did initially have ghost shifting that was caused by improper cable length. Good luck!

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: david8613's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    1,702
    i think your cables are propably stretched a bit from new and you need adjustments...

  4. #4
    LA CHÈVRE
    Reputation: Dan Gerous's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    9,429
    I've got no flex either...

    DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    37
    Theres nothing wrong with the cables. The flex causes the rear cassette to bend a bit and so the chain is grabbed by the next cog in line if you know what i mean. Nevermind that...otherwise the bike is perfect i just want to find out whether there are some ways to stiffen the rear end....its not cruical but I would certainly like to use all of the potential this bike has to offer me.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: freeriderB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,628

    Prophet 600 ghost shifting

    The chain on my 600 "ghost shifts" if the rear wheel hits the ground HARD. For example, really steep rollers that are rutted out on the bottom. The speed is relatively high, and the impact on the bottom is far from smooth. It also happens occasionaly on drops.

    The rear derailer actually gets yanked forward and it "locks" this way.

    I'm assuming it has something to do with the chain flopping around and the cable tension going into the derailer.

    I'm not so sure if it is related to flex. If it is...I don't notice it while hammering.

    Either way, it's going to the shop for its first tune up this week.


    Quote Originally Posted by Lonestar82
    Theres nothing wrong with the cables. The flex causes the rear cassette to bend a bit and so the chain is grabbed by the next cog in line if you know what i mean. Nevermind that...otherwise the bike is perfect i just want to find out whether there are some ways to stiffen the rear end....its not cruical but I would certainly like to use all of the potential this bike has to offer me.

  7. #7
    All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    Reputation: MendonCycleSmith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    15,587
    You are far from crazy, I too get a fair amount of "wag" when I go through a rough high speed section, thought I was crazy! I think that the ghost shifting theory is possible, if you are really pushing it, mine has never done that though. It never hurts to try a stiffer rear end set up, try it and see if it helps, based on your experience, it would certainly seem to. To those who have ridden a Jekyll prior to this rig, it takes a little bit of time to notice, especially since it occurs under fairly rough conditions, but it is definately more wiggly in the rough than a Jekyll, try them side by side if you can, or just grab the rear wheel by it's top, and pull side to side, you will see what I mean. As I said before though, still a kick a@# bike!

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    291

    It wasn't just me.

    Quote Originally Posted by MendonCycleSmith
    You are far from crazy, I too get a fair amount of "wag" when I go through a rough high speed section, thought I was crazy! I think that the ghost shifting theory is possible, if you are really pushing it, mine has never done that though. It never hurts to try a stiffer rear end set up, try it and see if it helps, based on your experience, it would certainly seem to. To those who have ridden a Jekyll prior to this rig, it takes a little bit of time to notice, especially since it occurs under fairly rough conditions, but it is definately more wiggly in the rough than a Jekyll, try them side by side if you can, or just grab the rear wheel by it's top, and pull side to side, you will see what I mean. As I said before though, still a kick a@# bike!
    Wow! I thought it was just my imagination. It wasn't. I thought my Prophet 1000 rear was flexing around when blasting downhill. It freaked me out and I had to slow down for fear of a wipeout. I thought I was nuts because the Prophet is supposedly WAY stiffer than the Jekyll it replaced. So I figured it must have something to do with the pressure in my tires. Now that I see this thread, I know my mind wasn't playing tricks on me. But now I'm bumming because it's the bike. It really takes my confidence away when it flexes. I need to find a way to fix it or get a different bike.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    37
    Quote Originally Posted by MendonCycleSmith
    It never hurts to try a stiffer rear end set up, try it and see if it helps, based on your experience, it would certainly seem to.
    As I said its not that big of a deal...the flex. Bike rides superbly but I am willing to spend some money on the rear hub, if thats not going to make a significant improvement on the swingarm stiffness... The 4x version is really stiff...a friend of mine is actually considering buying one instead of an SX-trail, because its so stiff. The thing is the 4x prophet has 12mm dropouts, which: 1. are quite different, since theres an extra bolt tightening the frame around the axle 2. can (unlike the standard Prophet dropouts) fit a 12mm axle.
    What I want to know is, whether the 10mm axle would add much stiffnes to the swingarm (since its narrower than the 4xs one and the dropouts are regular).

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    83
    Well, I really have a Hadley 10 mm through-axle rear hub on my Prophet. I have not found much flex in the rear end but it does not feel like super-rigid either. But I'd love to upgrade the swingarm to 4X version and my rear hub can be converted to 12 mm thr-axle one too. Hey Cannondale Company guys, if you read this, please if someone breaks Prophet's swingarm, it would be absolutely great if you were giving an option to take either the normal or the 12 mm thr-axle swingarm. Please.
    Ride hard, meet the Father!

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,011
    Quote Originally Posted by Lonestar82
    Ive been riding a prophet 600 for couple of months now and have noticed some considerable flex in the rear end. I notice it when pedaling while cornering at high speeds...the rear end flexes to the point when the rear deraileur starts to ghost shift.
    Couple of days ago i tried the 4x version which comes with a thru 12 rear axles and the axle adds loads of stiffness to the rear end.

    I am thinking of installing a hub with a 10mm thru axle or with a 12mm thru axle with a 10mm dropouts adapter. Do you think I would gain much in terms of swingarm stiffness? Does using a 10mm adapter even make sense or does it actually make a 10mm axle out of a 12mm one?
    Can you get the 4x swingarm as an upgrade? A bolt-on will add stiffness but I don't think it will be as stiff as a true 12mm thru axle.

    You're right about 12mm thru-axle system. You won't notice the stiffness of the thru-axle riding regular trails or even doing big drops. The stiffness becomes apparent cornering at racing speeds. The bike tracks like it on rails. Sweet!!!!!!!

Similar Threads

  1. Blur rear end flex
    By bigdrunk in forum Santa Cruz
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 07-05-2005, 04:52 PM
  2. If you need to know this.
    By KevinVokeyJ24 in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 12-24-2004, 09:40 AM
  3. HH rear end issue
    By jaco in forum Titus
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 11-29-2004, 03:23 PM
  4. Play in the rear end of my VT
    By Michal in forum Giant
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-04-2004, 08:24 AM
  5. '01/'02 rear end on a '99/'00 FSR XC frame?
    By was in forum Specialized
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-01-2004, 09:07 AM

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

mtbr.com and the ConsumerReview Network are business units of Invenda Corporation

(C) Copyright 1996-2018. All Rights Reserved.