mtbr member
    Mar 2005

Smile Prophet or smthing else.. please help! please!!

hey guys ... i really really need help from u guys..... currently im riding a cannondale scalpel.. ive been using it for 2 years and im still loving it.....but now im looking for a FUN bike.. for me fun bike is a bike that is flickable and something i can jump around and do some freeriding..... anotha reason why im looking for a longer travel because during summer the skifield going to be a mountain bike park.. which is sweet coz we dont have that in our country....yesterday my friend wanna sell his demo 8 for real cheap.... but i was thinking that im not gonna be happy with it because the trav is so long and the bike just for downhill,,, im lookinf for a bike where i can speed ontha flat and jump up a ramp or something..... i looooooooooooooooooooooove lefty and im considering to get the prophet 5 seems i already have a crsmx sl and some parts to transfer....and about lefty max 140.. izzit suitable with my riding that im gonna do???/ so far on my scalpel is doing good.... and ive seen cedric slamming the bike with lefty and stilll looks great...... i was consdering prophet mx aswell but nah!! i want lefty!! heheeh ..... again i wanna do jumps and abit of downhill... both of them are light.. not a hardcore fr! otha than that.... and the proph 5 comes with a fox shock.... izzit better to stay with the air shock?? or if i change to coil like monitou coil swinger 6 way or 5th element are they gonna be any heavy bob? i really dont mind about climbing wise that much but i really want something that fun and about light and can serve me with freeride ability.. so i hope u 'pros' can help me with this ......and tell me abit about ur experience with lefty performance ( rough performance not xc).... thanx alot!!!

hail cannondale!!!!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by jinxkal; 04-26-2007 at 05:29 PM.

LA CHÈVRE
    The Prophet would be a great choice and you don't have to worry about the Lefty Max, it's tough! The MX frame is stronger and has thru-12 rear axle which would make it ideal but... no Lefty. Do they still have a 4X Prophet with a Lefty Max and the MX frame? With a standard Prophet, you just need to be smooth on jumps and drop landings and should be fine. But the geometry, size and weight of the Prophet makes it a very fun bike to go fast, throw around into corners or over hips and jumps.

As for the shock, the air shocks are lighter and with the frame geometry, provide a nice smooth stroke but coils work too. Air shocks are used for their weight saving more than because they have a platform, many coil shocks have platforms nowadays, the Swinger 6 way has a platform to control BOB and has adjustable progressivity so if the geometry of the frame (which was designed for air shocks) produce a too much falling rate and make you go through the travel too easily or fast, you can adjust the shock to make it more like the rising rate of air shocks. I think coils from other companies are available with these kinds of adjustments too. I would start with the stock shock though, try it and see if you like it, if you don't, then look into an upgrade.

If you do some downhill on it though, don't put your Crossmax SL on it, they are very strong but by XC standards, not Freeride or Downhill. And the standard wheels of the Prophet 5 might not be stiff and strong enough to downhill on so you might want to look at a burlier wheelset eventually.

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

mtbr member
    Mar 2005

Thanx

yea... i think i might go for proph 5 ... but at the chain reaction cycle they sellin the prophet 4x frame and fork foe 2400 nzd dollar.... comes with lefty max.. do u think is worth?? and ive already have a sl... but the 4x model requires thru exle.... can i put my sls on that 4 cross proph?
    SCALPEL 900 ( Sobe Rep)

mtbr member

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead! That caught my eye the otherday but......

Quote Originally Posted by jinxkal
    yea... i think i might go for proph 5 ... but at the chain reaction cycle they sellin the prophet 4x frame and fork foe 2400 nzd dollar.... comes with lefty max.. do u think is worth?? and ive already have a sl... but the 4x model requires thru exle.... can i put my sls on that 4 cross proph?
    If this http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/M...x?ModelID=6159 is the frame and fork you are talking about, you might want to read the description again......

and they only have a small one left.