mtbr member

Prophet Shock Upgrade

Currently running a Float R - not all that happy with the rear end performance..

I know the Prophet isn't great with square edge bumps and brake jack but im sure a shock an upgrade would alleviate the some of the problems. What would be peoples recommendations?

Cheers in advance for any views

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    supposedly a rp3 would work wonders with the rear (according to tftuned), though it prob has to be custom tuned. i wasn't too happy with the one i put on, though it might've been to soft in it's sag and not very thoroughly tested. want things that work right away without endless finetuning. the 3 way swinger works as a charm i think. feels better than the floats i think. a bargain at 99 bucks from santa cruz too. only negative thing with it is the difficulty of finetuning it's spv level, though that opinion differs greatly from person to person. everybody i've recommended this shock to from sc on here has been super happy with it. think of it as a float r with tuneable propedal-level and a lot livlier feel i think. just feels faster - in a good way. the rp3 and 3 way swinger feels different and i think my 3 way currently works better than a rp3. i still have both though, so i still have some tsting to do. if you wanna cough up the cash, i would consider getting a customed tuned one from push, though i would rather get a 3 way and a evolver(look below) and keep the one you like. getting both of em are still cheaper than the push. get the 3 way odf sc and the evolver off universalcycles.com

depending on what type of riding you are in for a manitou evolver might be the way to go, though they are a tad bit heavy. think of it as a dhx air with a midstroke. hehe. outstanding performance in mine evolver isx6. so good in fact i moved it to my freeriding bike.

other than that, search through the forum. the prophet isn't a new model, so this has been discussed many times before. good luck on the swap. i thought i wanted a rp3 shock that i could make plush for going downhill, but turns out i would rather have a shock that works superbly and efficiently in all conditions. hehe. the evolver isx6 def does that. and it's tuneable as all hell, though in a good way. ;-)

mtbr member
    Manitou evolver does look like a nice, but pricey option.. What are peoples thoughts on the

Manitou Swinger Air 4-Way SPV
    or the
    Rock Shox Pearl 3.1

with the prophet platform.

Not sure about the 3 way as have tried it on a friends and couldn't dial it in..any other thoughts?

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    the evoler isx6 sells at roughly 380 at universalcycles.com - not too bad i think. the isx4 sells at 340. you just need to add shipping for both.

daktari in here tried the pearl 3.3 i think it was and did not like it. my brother has a 4 way swinger on his prophet 4x and i think it works pretty nice. perhaps a little bit better than the 3 way. haven't tried it too much on trails though so can't give you a very through review of it.

if you need to have it just right the 3 way might not be the way to go. if you're happy when you think it works ok it'll work fine. i've started to care less so i think the 3 way works fine. i just need to give my lefty a service.

El Pollo Diablo
    I recently upgraded from my Radium R to a Swinger 3-way I snagged for a song from Santa Cruz...
    me rikey!
    More plush than the Rad-R, even when I had it poorly set up, and the platform works great, no more wallowing!

now the only suspension related flaws on my prophet are related to the frame rather than the shock
    :P

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by SnowMongoose
    I recently upgraded from my Radium R to a Swinger 3-way I snagged for a song from Santa Cruz...
    me rikey!
    More plush than the Rad-R, even when I had it poorly set up, and the platform works great, no more wallowing!

now the only suspension related flaws on my prophet are related to the frame rather than the shock
    :P

i recently went from the float r to swinger 3 way. i love it. I got it from santa cruz bikes close out section

with bushings from adrenilin bike the total was $170
    Lead by my Lefty............... right down the trail, no brakes.

mtbr member
    Cool all good info.. many thanks

Any idea of what size bushings i will need for the prophet.. i understand that Manitou have different size bushings in comparison to fox and most other makes?

Im in the UK where is best to get them from?

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Hi,
    the Swinger 3 way has the SPV-stickyness that I don't like very much. At the same time, you have to decide a platform, and leave it for most of the trip - no fast changes. If that is not an issue for you, it is a good, progressive shock for the Prophet.

The Pearl 3.3 I had was not progressive enough, and I bottomed out all to often. It could be that the shock comes in different versions with different damping characteristics (like Fox), but I don't now. The shock in general seemed nice to me, and will probabl be a good choice for another bike.

The lates 08 Fox rp23 has a factory tuning of max progressive with low air volume, and works perfect for me. It is super plush when open, and a nice little platform for smoother uphills. I ride quite technical and rough trails, and use the shock fully open also on step ascents when it is rough. The different platform settings means you have a wide range of choices. I havent noticed any particular weakness during 20 hrs riding.

It could be that klinkekule had a RP3 with low progression settings, the same with my Pearl.
    A Rp23 is a good choice if bought for a Prophet, if you want a more complex shock, the DHX air or Evolver isx6 is probably better.

mtbr member
    I HAD Swinger 3 way air and it was bad, or meybe it was me since I never really found the way how to set it up. Nevertheless I'm running RP23 with standard can size and it's miles ahead both in ease of use and performance (and it's not even Pushed )

I can really recomend RP23 - it's much more responsive on the small bumps but it doesn't pogo like crazy when standing, mashing my way up.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    yes, manitou has 12mm spacers and fox/marz and so one use 12.7mm. you can get em from tftuned. you can also enquire what shock they recommend for the prophet.

www.tftunedshox.com

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Hey just trying to save a little time and effort you guys that have the swinger 3-way from santa cruz, do you know what size bushings are needed for the prophet, I know I can get them from adrenaline but I'm just curious what size I would need?? thanks

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Go to this topic and look at my post #5
    It shows the links to the bushings I used, and my thoughts on future purchases.

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.ph...90#post3466590
    Lead by my Lefty............... right down the trail, no brakes.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Great info ! Thanks for the help!!

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Karve
    Manitou evolver does look like a nice, but pricey option.. What are peoples thoughts on the

Manitou Swinger Air 4-Way SPV
    or the
    Rock Shox Pearl 3.1

with the prophet platform.

Not sure about the 3 way as have tried it on a friends and couldn't dial it in..any other thoughts?
    I, for one, went the Pearl route and I really like the shock. I like the adjustability of it. One fellow here is also running a Pearl and posted his setting-up method. I used that and didn't have any issue. Search for Pearl in the shock forum and you should find the post in question.

I think that both options are good options with the Pearl being a bit of an unknown as it is a fairly recent shock.
    A climb is really just a flat piece of road that points up. A headwind is a climb that you can't see. So it's all flat road, really.