mtbr member
    Sep 2005

Prophet Shock Question

I have an 06 Prophet 600 with the Fox Float R. It works ok, but i get terrible pedal bob going up hill. What shock can i put on it that will let me stand and crank on the pedals but not bob?

Are you talking to me?

How stiff of a platform?

Quote Originally Posted by chris_nor_cal
    I have an 06 Prophet 600 with the Fox Float R. It works ok, but i get terrible pedal bob going up hill. What shock can i put on it that will let me stand and crank on the pedals but not bob?

You can have your current shock re-valved for you, your bike, and style at www.pushindustries.com This is where I would start.

Any 7.875x2.0 shock will fit. If you want to be able to tinker with the settings, perhaps a Fox DHX air, or coil if you want a coil/over shock.

The Progressive 5th Element coil shock did wonders for transforming my Gemini in to a trailbike.

Keep in mind that any shock is going to bob with the wrong pedalling technique. (without a lockout.)

Shocks like the DHX, and 5th coil let you control facets of suspension tuning externally.
    gfy

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Hmmm...I also have an '06 Prophet 600 with the Float R and as long as I stay SEATED while pedaling up hill there is minimal bob. I can see the shock moving but just barely and it doesn't seem to effect my climbing. The Float R does have pro pedal, it's just not on-the-fly adjustable like the RP3. Are you talking about standing up and hammering up the hill or just spinning up in the saddle? Do you have it set at 25% sag?

In any case the Float R is supposed to be a pretty good shock (and better than the Radium R on last year's model). I wouldn't think it should be necessary to upgrade...

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Well when i sit down and spin in a low gear i notice i loose all my momentum if i go over a small rock or bump because im bounced up and down. I would love to be able to stand up and hammer on the pedals and not bob up and down. Is there a shock that can do this? is that what a lock out is for? i dont really understand what this 3 way and 4 way deal is. is a lockout shock the answer? why dont more shocks have them.

Are you talking to me?

Slow down, hard charger.

Well when i sit down and spin in a low gear i notice i loose all my momentum if i go over a small rock or bump because im bounced up and down. I would love to be able to stand up and hammer on the pedals and not bob up and down. Is there a shock that can do this? is that what a lock out is for? i dont really understand what this 3 way and 4 way deal is. is a lockout shock the answer? why dont more shocks have them.

Are you using clipless pedals, and are you spinning circles? There are no shocks on the market that will totally be locked out for hammering out of the saddle, and open for the bumps.

Anyone referring to a 3-way or a 4-way are talking about a line of Manitou air shocks. THe 3 way has the air spring, rebound control, and a platform adjustment (air also) THe platform is basically a low speed compression adjuster designed to keep the shock as efficient as possible and still remain active. The 4-way is the same as the 3, but adds a piggyback resivoir with an air chamber in it. THe size of the air chamber is adjustable, changing how the shock bottoms out.

Go check out the "lets talk about shocks" board, and do some research.

If you truely want a bike that you can hammer on without shock movement, you may have issues with the prophet. However, if you want to keep the travel, and make it as stable as possible, look in to PUSH at www.pushindustries.com It is a chunk of change for the race upgrade, but they strip out the guts on your shock, and give it a "werks" tune for your weight, style and bike.
    gfy

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Yes to pedals and yes to circles. Is there such a thing as an anti pedal bob shock that also has a lockout?

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    Yes to pedals and yes to circles. Is there such a thing as an anti pedal bob shock that also has a lockout?
    Damion, as usual, has gotten you going in the right direction. All I would add here is this. No matter what shock you use, with a single pivot bike, ala the Prophet, if you stand and mash, you will bob. I am in no way, attacking your riding style, but seated climbing is a much more efficient, energy conserving way to climb. If you have never made it your way of climbing, it may take a while to learn how to take bumps, but trust me, learn it, and it will all be worth while. Sure, the need for mashing out of the saddle in a particularly steep, short scoot, will happen, and a bit of bob can be expected, and dealt with. I am guessing that you have the pressure fairly high, to cancel some of the anticipated bobbing? If so, that's part of why you can't climb seated and hit bumps, if your suspension was softer, it would eat those, and you'd never even notice them. Short term cheap solution, go to Push, they will do you right. Or, try a Swinger, or even better still, a Progressive 5th Element Air, that's what I've got on my Prophet, and it's just amazing. That said, to answer your question, the RP3 is Lockout/platform/ free open, not at the same time, only one option at a time. Hammering on a lockout all the time, will eventually hurt the valving, and besides, what's the point of a rear shock, if you don't let it do it's job? If this sounds like a huge bunch of crap, and hassle, get an FSR, Ellsworth, Titus MotoLite, etc, problem solved. Ride hard!

mtbr member
    This shock

http://www.dtswiss.com/index.asp?fus...ikedetail&id=6

Is supposed to be great, I'm going to put one on my Prophet 800 next year when I hav a spare £350.

Lightweight too.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    I would play around the rebound control as well. Make sure you start with the recommendations in the Prophet suspension setup guide that came with the bike or online. I use clipless pedals (Shimano M647 that also have a platform) and the key for me is to spin in circles and not mash the pedals and the Prophet climbs well with no noticable bob. You do need to make sure you have some momentum going to get you over rocks/bumps. I got the Prophet 600 so I wouldn't have to worry about upgrades since the components that come with it are very solid for the price.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I have a DHX Air from a Prophet for sale if your interested...

Tom

Members who have read this thread: 0