mtbr member

New question here. Prophet Shock Mount Crack

Just got back from a weekend of riding in South Wales, Afan and Cwm Carn - aweful weather, awesome riding. It was the first big trip I've had on the Prophet and it handled everything perfectly apart from the first climb at Cwm Carn but it was set in freeride mode. Virtualy no jumping but lots of rocks and steps taken at speed.

However, when I was washing it, I noticed a very fine hairline crack in the paint on the fron shock mount. It's only on one side but runs across both of the points where the mount meets the frame. I've not been able to take a decent photo - I either need more light or a better camera - hopefully something I can sort tomorrow.

Anyway, I was wondering if this is something that any of the other Prophet owners here had come across anything similar - is it just the paint or something more serious?

I'm planning on droping it of at my LBS but would appreciate any input.

Cheers

Chris
    The (fallen) Orange Prophet

LA CHÈVRE
    Never heard of a Prophet breaking there but it could happen, just see what your LBS says after inspection.

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

mnt bike laws of physics

Shoch air pressure

When I first got my Prophet, I quickly realized that it would bottom out with the recommended amount of sag with the Manitou shock. I have to run more air pressure to keep the shock from bottoming. If your shock is bottoming, especially if it is in the 67 degree mode, it will put a lot of stress on the shock mount. The shock bolts are usually designed to bend and take the impact so the mounts are protected in those instances. Check to see if yours are straight....

mtbr member

cracked paint

Quote Originally Posted by The Orange Prophet
    Just got back from a weekend of riding in South Wales, Afan and Cwm Carn - aweful weather, awesome riding. It was the first big trip I've had on the Prophet and it handled everything perfectly apart from the first climb at Cwm Carn but it was set in freeride mode. Virtualy no jumping but lots of rocks and steps taken at speed.

However, when I was washing it, I noticed a very fine hairline crack in the paint on the fron shock mount. It's only on one side but runs across both of the points where the mount meets the frame. I've not been able to take a decent photo - I either need more light or a better camera - hopefully something I can sort tomorrow.

Anyway, I was wondering if this is something that any of the other Prophet owners here had come across anything similar - is it just the paint or something more serious?

I'm planning on droping it of at my LBS but would appreciate any input.

Cheers

Chris
    The (fallen) Orange Prophet

I have an 05 red prophet 600(?)...can't keep track anymore...
    anyway...my shock mount paint has flaked and fallen off (but it is NOT a crack in the mount itself).

Did you switch out shocks at all? I went from air to coil...to air to coil....so all the installing and removing probably played a part in my situation.

carefully check (with the local C-dale dealer) to ensure the fram is not cracked.

mtbr member
    I've got a 05 600, red as well, and the paint around the shock mount bolts is totally flaked off as well, despite never having switched out shocks. I posted on this last year and all the heads assured me that it was normal, aesthectically disturbing, but normal. I haven't seen any further developments.

mtbr member

... and if we just ... The Orange Prophet is dead............

Long Live the Cut Team Replica (gloss) (REP) Prophet,

Hmmm doesn't really make for a good user name.

Anyway, news just in the the reincarnated frame is ready. Cannondale replaced the frame with one from a Prophet 2. The LBS photographed the crack and emailed to Cannondale who got back to them in less than a week saying that they would replace it.

Top marks to both Cannondale and the LBS for the speed with which they have turned this around

I asked whether an upgrade to a Prophet MX would be an option but was told that they were out of stock and that it would have been a £200 upgrade (seemed a bit steep). Not sure whether I would have gone for the upgrade if one had been available on the basis of the cost - not only the £200 but also the fact that I would have felt compelled to upgrade all sorts of other bits - shock, forks etc.

It would seem that there isn't much in the way of a stock of Prophet frames as I was told that if I wanted the Cut replica I'd get the last one of either the medium or large. I decided to go for a medium - the Orange one was a large but I suspect it was a bit big for me.

Tried to suggest to my wife that the fact the Prophet had failed under normal use is a clear demonstration of the need for a downhill / freeride bike for those big days out. Like many suggestions inspired by Bloke Logic™, she stared at me with a somewhat exasperated look before saying "No". Ho Hum.

Anyway what to upgrade next? My current thinking is cranks then brakes then shock but it would be interesting to hear what the C'dale cognoscenti think.

This is where we are at in terms of current spec (upgraded parts in bold);

Frame : Prophet, 140 mm

Fork : 2006 Marzocchi All Mountain SL, 150 mm

Rear Shock : Manitou Radium R Air

Rims : DT Swiss 5.1d

Hubs : Hope Pro II

Spokes : DT Swiss DB Competition

Tires : IRC Trail Bear, 26 x 2.25"

Pedals : DMR V8

Crank : TruVatiV IsoFlow, 22/32/44

Chain : SRAM 951

Rear Cogs : SRAM PG-950, 11-34