mtbr member
    Sep 2005

Prophet rules... ;)

Hi all,

I have just finished my 1st 24 hours race and I have only 1 thing to say about the Prophet: it rules.... The course was tight, technical and very rooty and the Prophet behaved superbly. No components failure or anything like that, as it was being banged faster and faster against roots and stuff as I was coming down faster and faster.

The Lefty generated a few comments when the bike was in the transition area and felt super smooth on the track.

The Radium R though was a pain on the climbs as they were very full of roots and very step-like. The Radium would just hit a root and then pause for a moment and then go over it. It is ok on the first lap, but by the fith, it gets very hard to go over that step.

The only fault I found was of my own making: I rode the course the day before the race with the Prophet in XC position and because of the fast flowing downhill, I thought it would be better in the FR position, so I set it up that way and did my first lap. Big mistake, the course was too tight for the FR position, so once I finished it, I switched it back to XC and all was good.

I saw quite a few Rush's as well and I am sure that they were easier to ride than the 30lbs Prophet, but for a weekend warrior looking for a do-it-all bike, I think the Prophet is a really good bike: it took everything I threw at it like a champ and still allowed me to post some pretty decent lap times.

Thanks for reading.
    A climb is really just a flat piece of road that points up. A headwind is a climb that you can't see. So it's all flat road, really.

mtbr member
    Congrats--were you racing solo or with a team?

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by SlipperyPete
    Congrats--were you racing solo or with a team?
    We were racing in the 5 Co-ed category.
    A climb is really just a flat piece of road that points up. A headwind is a climb that you can't see. So it's all flat road, really.

mnt bike laws of physics
    Yes, the Prophet is a sweeeeet bike! I bought mine in the summer of 2005(1st year model) and it is by far the best bike I ever rode except for mabey the 2007 stumpjumper. I just recently got a Carbon Rush and this Saturday I did a 70 mile race with 14,000 feet of climbing on it. For what it does, the Rush is a sweet bike too, but the prophet is more fun at everything but the corners. I even find it climbs the short technical climbs better than the Rush, but overall the Rush is a faster race bike which is why I bought it.

Congrats on the 24 hour race. It sounds like you had the right bike for the job. It is worth upgrading to lighter components. You won't regret it

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dbblackdiamond
    The Lefty generated a few comments...
    i wonder if there's ever been another bike component that has ever generated as much interest and comment as the lefty. every time someone unfamiliar with them sees mine i get about the same reaction... "where's the other side?"

to which my reply of "that's it." is followed without fail by "that's IT?"

i luv it.
    trust the tread

'06 Cannondale Prophet 1000
    '07 Bianchi Roger

discombobulated SuperModerator
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by mfisher1971
    i wonder if there's ever been another bike component that has ever generated as much interest and comment as the lefty. every time someone unfamiliar with them sees mine i get about the same reaction... "where's the other side?"

i luv it.
    Plus you get the........
    " but it cant work. can it?!?!?"
    Yes, it does, and it works very well.
    "Well I dont see how.........."
    Apparently I am a magician then........

mtbr member
    Other comments I've heard about my lefty:

1. "I think your fork is broke, there's something missing"

2. "That thing's gonna break going down the hill"

3. "If it was so good, everybody would make it"

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Bubba74
    Other comments I've heard about my lefty:

1. "I think your fork is broke, there's something missing"

2. "That thing's gonna break going down the hill"

3. "If it was so good, everybody would make it"
    They claim all the forks will be designed like this once their patent runs out.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Sunday I was riding my Prophet home from work. A teenager saw my bike and said "Thats the sickest bike ever, dude! " Just about sums it all up.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by mfisher1971

i luv it.
    I've gave different answers but the one I like is "I thought I heard something fall off back there!"

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    The comment I get the most often is: "hey buddy , half of your fork is missing!", to what I usually answer: "I know I got ripped off by the bike shop..." . Jokes apart, I was waiting for our rider to come to the transition area with my bike on the racks, when I turned around and saw 4 guys by my bike talking and pointing to the Lefty... It made me smile on the inside....

For racing, I can see how the Rush would be a better bike, but getting a second bike wouldn't fly with my SO, so I can only have 1 bike and I think the Prophet is that perfect bike. Hopefully in a couple of days, I will get to swap the piece of crap Radium R for a nice Pearl MC 3.3 . I am really looking forward to it.....

mnt bike laws of physics
    For racing, I can see how the Rush would be a better bike, but getting a second bike wouldn't fly with my SO, so I can only have 1 bike and I think the Prophet is that perfect bike. Hopefully in a couple of days, I will get to swap the piece of crap Radium R for a nice Pearl MC 3.3 . I am really looking forward to it.....[/QUOTE]

What don't you like about the Radium? I thought it was a great shock, much better that any Fox I have riden. I have never tried a Rock Shox shock though. I bet the Pearl is a good one.

mtbr member
    Another Prophet lover here since early 05. After many, many miles, that bike still hits the "sweet spot" I also still use the stock Radium R, and haven't had any major complaints. Maybe I don't know what I am missing, but it seems to be set up nicely for me. The cool thing about them is that they evoke inquisitive emotion, both from the onlooker and most importantly the rider! Good luck at your next venue

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by yogiprophet
    For racing, I can see how the Rush would be a better bike, but getting a second bike wouldn't fly with my SO, so I can only have 1 bike and I think the Prophet is that perfect bike. Hopefully in a couple of days, I will get to swap the piece of crap Radium R for a nice Pearl MC 3.3 . I am really looking forward to it.....

What don't you like about the Radium? I thought it was a great shock, much better that any Fox I have riden. I have never tried a Rock Shox shock though. I bet the Pearl is a good one.
    Hi yogiprophet,

what I hate about the Radium R is the fact that when I hit a root or a rock with my rear wheel, the wheel seems to pause for a moment, before rolling over the obstacle. That just kills my momentum and I feel that I use more energy than I should to compensate for this. I think, and I might be wrong, that this is due to the fact that the shock is setup with too much platform. I am basically looking for a shock where I can setup the platform the way I want. I have tried lowering the psi in the shock with no changes, hence why I am looking for another shock.

I guess that it all depends on the terrain that you ride. We have steep slope with roots and rocks and stuff and this behaviour just kills me.

mnt bike laws of physics
    Hi yogiprophet,

what I hate about the Radium R is the fact that when I hit a root or a rock with my rear wheel, the wheel seems to pause for a moment, before rolling over the obstacle. That just kills my momentum and I feel that I use more energy than I should to compensate for this. I think, and I might be wrong, that this is due to the fact that the shock is setup with too much platform. I am basically looking for a shock where I can setup the platform the way I want. I have tried lowering the psi in the shock with no changes, hence why I am looking for another shock.

I guess that it all depends on the terrain that you ride. We have steep slope with roots and rocks and stuff and this behaviour just kills me.
    I do notice that, but I wrote it off as a limitation of the single pivot rear end because I only really noticed it when I was pedalling. I may be completely wrong and I hope I am. I am very curious as to how the Pearl 3.3 works for you. I just checked it out on the Rock Shox website and it does seem like a well thought out design. The Magura Hugin also looks like a good choice.
    I do like the platform of the Manitou, but if a shock can deliver platform and roll over obstacles while pedalling better, then I will probably be looking at buying a new shock.
    Please keep me posted as to how the Pearl performs for you my friend.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by yogiprophet
    I do notice that, but I wrote it off as a limitation of the single pivot rear end because I only really noticed it when I was pedalling. I may be completely wrong and I hope I am. .
    Yes. Every single FS I've owned has been a single pivot and they all do that. Especially if you're pedling up hill.

I was checking out my friends Canefield F1 and another's Giant Glory. When you push the saddle down you can see the back wheel move backwards. That's got to make the rear end smooth on square edges.

I'm a single pivot guy because I've had really messed bearings on my old single pivots. I can't imagine how screwed up my rear suspension would be if I had a multi pivot. I ride a lot in really wet and muddy conditions. Single pivots tend to have tons of mud clearance so that means I can ride rather than push.

mnt bike laws of physics
    Quote Originally Posted by racerzero
    Yes. Every single FS I've owned has been a single pivot and they all do that. Especially if you're pedling up hill.

I was checking out my friends Canefield F1 and another's Giant Glory. When you push the saddle down you can see the back wheel move backwards. That's got to make the rear end smooth on square edges.

I'm a single pivot guy because I've had really messed bearings on my old single pivots. I can't imagine how screwed up my rear suspension would be if I had a multi pivot. I ride a lot in really wet and muddy conditions. Single pivots tend to have tons of mud clearance so that means I can ride rather than push.
    That is a definality on the bomb proofedness of the single pivot. Had a 4 bar and the maintanance was killing me. All the time with fiddling with the bushings and they are positioned just so the mud and crap gets all up in them.

One thing about a rear axle that moves rearward is that means the chain is stretching - so when you are pedaling, the pedaling force is pulling the rear axle downward. This would interfere with bump absorption. When you are bombing down a hill (not pedaling) a rearward path should conserve momentum though (unless on its way back down you hit another bump). A single pivot with as little as 5 inches of travel does in fact move very close to a vertical path - although in a slight arc. I do not hink there is a perfect do everything rear suspension design, that is the nature of the physical universe(duality). I love the SP for its simplicity because I rather be riding that changing out bearings.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    yogiprophet and dbblackdiamond,

A few months ago I swapped the Swinger on my 05 Prophet for a Pearl 3.3. My wish was to get the possibility to lock out and at the same time get it fully open for singletrack and downhills.

My experience so far is that the damper bottoms out quite more often than before at my preferred sag (25%) With those settings, it feels plush at the small stuff. To avoid bottoming, I need to have less sag and decreasing sensitivity. At the same time, the rebound won't get slow enough.

I think the big air volume of the shock is to blame - the shock is maybe to linear! I'm not sure if CD supplies specially tuned Pearls, it is not possible to tune it now. Tim at TFtuned shox told me we could try to get a bigger bottom out bumper which also could reduce the air volume a bit. I haven't tried so far.

I am thinking about a pushed RP23, but it would be interesting to hear if you experience the same as me, dbblackdiamond. Good luck with the upgrade!

mnt bike laws of physics
    Quote Originally Posted by daktari

A few months ago I swapped the Swinger on my 05 Prophet for a Pearl 3.3. My wish was to get the possibility to lock out and at the same time get it fully open for singletrack and downhills.

My experience so far is that the damper bottoms out quite more often than before at my preferred sag (25%) With those settings, it feels plush at the small stuff. To avoid bottoming, I need to have less sag and decreasing sensitivity. At the same time, the rebound won't get slow enough.

I think the big air volume of the shock is to blame - the shock is maybe to linear! I'm not sure if CD supplies specially tuned Pearls, it is not possible to tune it now. Tim at TFtuned shox told me we could try to get a bigger bottom out bumper which also could reduce the air volume a bit. I haven't tried so far.

I am thinking about a pushed RP23, but it would be interesting to hear if you experience the same as me, dbblackdiamond. Good luck with the upgrade!
    I know the SPV ramps up quite a bit at the end of the travel. That is one of its features. It is supposed to open up on a big impact, them near the end of its travel the air pressure in the spv chamber increases and inhibits bottoming.
    The Radium on the other hand would bottom out and I had to set it up with little sag. I still found it to be sufficiently plush although more plush could be better if it doesn't bob like crazy. I am sure it is very hard to design a shock that would be just right. Adjustability is definitely key.
    I think the new Swinger with the "on the fly" SPV adjustment would be sweeet. You can also purchase an adapter to change the air pressure in the SPV chamber(this should come with it of course).

mtbr member
    Sep 2005

Hi Daktari,

the shock is in transit, so hopefully I should have it in the next few days. I'll let you know how it works for me.

Thanks for the feedback.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005

Hi daktari,

I have finally taken my first ride with the Pearl MC 3.3 and I have to say that I love it. With the new shock, the Prophet feels very plush. It almost feels like I was riding a hardtail before. I took the bike on a fairly snarly trail with lots of roots, rocks and loose rocks and it feels really nice. The rear wheel doesn't feel like it pauses before clearing a root anymore. It just rolls nicely over the root unless it is a big step, but in that case, I think any bike would have the same problem.

I run very little pressure on the shock as I am not a big guy and I don't do jumps, so it feels very plush. With the floodgate open, the bike bobs a little bit, but a little bit of platform, it doesn't move anymore unless standing up.

As you can see, I really liked how the bike felt and I was faster going down as the bike is much more stable.

My 2cents.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Thanks for the report, its great that you are happy with it!

I still have problems with mine, as the damping seem inconsistent. If I start at paved roads with the position switch to lockout, and disengage it in the forest (floodgate fully open) it still feels firm, as if the floodgate is active. I've tried even lower air pressures, but then it bottoms out when doing small jumps (1-2 feet). Strangely enough, when floodgate is fully open and position switch disengaged, the rebound seem much slower than if the floodgate is half to full in the same setting.

But with your success I will try to fiddle even more with the shock.
    Did you buy a special Cannondale replacement or just an ordinary aftermarket shock?
    -e
    Hi daktari,

I have finally taken my first ride with the Pearl MC 3.3 and I have to say that I love it. With the new shock, the Prophet feels very plush. It almost feels like I was riding a hardtail before. I took the bike on a fairly snarly trail with lots of roots, rocks and loose rocks and it feels really nice. The rear wheel doesn't feel like it pauses before clearing a root anymore. It just rolls nicely over the root unless it is a big step, but in that case, I think any bike would have the same problem.

I run very little pressure on the shock as I am not a big guy and I don't do jumps, so it feels very plush. With the floodgate open, the bike bobs a little bit, but a little bit of platform, it doesn't move anymore unless standing up.

As you can see, I really liked how the bike felt and I was faster going down as the bike is much more stable.

My 2cents.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Thanks for the report, its great that you are happy with it!

I still have problems with mine, as the damping seem inconsistent. If I start at paved roads with the position switch to lockout, and disengage it in the forest (floodgate fully open) it still feels firm, as if the floodgate is active. I've tried even lower air pressures, but then it bottoms out when doing small jumps (1-2 feet). Strangely enough, when floodgate is fully open and position switch disengaged, the rebound seem much slower than if the floodgate is half to full in the same setting.

But with your success I will try to fiddle even more with the shock.
    Did you buy a special Cannondale replacement or just an ordinary aftermarket shock?
    That's interesting, because yesterday during my ride I switched on the fly from fully locked to fully open and the shock responded accordingly: one minute I was riding a hardtail and the other I had a plush suspension. I even tried between fully locked to the floodgate position and from the floodgate position to fully open and everytime the shock responded as it was supposed to.

I can't remember exactly how much pressure I have in the shock, but I think it is in the region of 60psi and I am 5"7 and about 145lbs with gear.

Regarding the rebound, I actually had to turn it down on the trail as it was to fast and I felt like the bike was trying to buck me off.

I know it sounds crazy, but are you sure your shock is not defective? I bought mine used on ebay, so it is just a regular aftermarket shock.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007

I know it sounds crazy, but are you sure your shock is not defective? I bought mine used on ebay, so it is just a regular aftermarket shock.
    Nope, I'm not sure about that. It feels strange, and the rebound being too fast usually and then after adjusting the floodgate, so slow. It could very well be something wrong.

A domestic mtb-mag said this was the shock they preferred the most compared to Fox and Mani regarding damping characteristics, so I was very surprised with mine not being cooperative at all.

Bought it new of ebay, from Australia by the way. Some day I will probably send it in for a check.

Happy riding!

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    to add to the confusion, some thoughts about a rp3 on a prophet. i'm now on my second rp3 on my 05 prophet 1000, and i have the 3way swinger as well. so far i far prefer the swinger. had a rp3 spare from a frame i sold, tried it on the prophet and hated it, so off it went and i sold it. bought a manitou evolver isx6 for the prophet, but ended up liking it so much i swithed it over to my freeride/larking about bike, aka a commencal supreme fr, and yes it has worked wonders with that bike too.

so now i'm back at square one in terms of the prophet. swinger or rp3 (the second and newer rp3 came off the supreme(yes, i know you're thinking rp3 on a freeride bike??? - came stock)). initially had the rp3 at 80 psi, but found the sag to be too freeridish (which i normally like), but it went through the entire travel too easy and it was too slow ot go back to the sag position. now i've made my way up to 150psi in increments, but at 150 something is still not right, even though it's a lot more pressure. it still feels a lot slower than the swinger, though it is more efficient and makes less noise than the swinger. the swinger rarely goes beyond 2/3 of the travel while the rp3 goes through almost everything every time i push the pedals down hard while i'm on it. the felt travel is similar though, or rather the swinger feels much plusher i think even though it has less sag and the min amount of spv, or so far at least. there is a big problem with my analysis so far though, i've yet to try the new rp3 in the terrain. when riding a full sus i always try to mess around as much as possible so i jump or go over everything suitable in my path - it's so much fun - so i've tested it to some extent. as it is raining cats and dogs like never before over here, the slippery stones and mud of the trails seem less inviting i think.

so what will i do? i'm trying so hard to try to make the rp3 work, but it feels kinda terrible so far. dunno how a 08 would do though. the swinger is nice, but also has it's drawbacks. the new swinger seems tempting and a new evolver too for sure, though the latter is too expensive i think (already have one right?) for the prophet, or rather don't wanna use money on one as i'm getting some crossmax sl's and a new crank for it instead. though it handle so bad today compared to the supreme that i actually thought about selling it for a second.

if you're thinking about getting a rp3 call cannondale or push/tftuned to hear their 2cents first. from the abysmally disapointing handeling so far, though not tried on trails, makes me hesitant to advice the purchase of one for a prophet. (another big if factor though, got a new wheel today and something was wrong with it too, so some of the poor handling can be accredited to that one too).

the evolver isx6 on the other hand.... best shock i've had. this coming from a guy who was really happy with the rp3 on the supreme prior to the evolvers migration over the pond from universalcycles.com (it's like 360 bucks i think after the discount, not too bad i think and def worth it) .

now, i've got a date with four more beers and some cognac or something else, so cheers. good luck on the search for the new rear shock.