mtbr member
    Dec 2006

prophet and rp3 vs 3 way. my experiences thus far and yours? yes, i have both

i have a prophet that originally came stock with a 3 way. as i had a rp3 to spare i put that one on the prophet to make it more efficient and i order to easily make it plusher. i'm not sure about the results of the procedure though. the shock seems kinda slow and not very plush (yeah, by the way, have a rp3 on a commencal supreme where it feels really plush). it's not bad, just not great. it uses all of the travel too.

when i today went down the same trail i switched the shock back to the 3 way. the bike instantly felt plusher on the top (of the trail) and a little bit more confortable over rocky sections. the shock is set up pretty hard with only 15 to 20% sag to make it efficient, while the rp3 is set up with 20 - 30% so it really should be the other way around. and yes, only used about 80% of the travel on the three way, though the way down includes really rocky sections, some spots one can jump a little bit and etc.

i was just wondering if anybody else has a rp3 on their prophet and has any feedback on how it functions, especially if you've also tried the bike with a 3 way and can compare how the two function. also, somebody in here refered to a test of the prophet where they had rp3s on it. any links? and i don't believe the test being refered to was test for a prophet sl.

any feeback would be appreciated as i'm selling one of the shocks so i can afford a system six. my plan was to sell the manitou, though it doesn't generate much income, since i wanted the efficiency and adjustability of a rp3. if the 3 way functions better i think i will sell the rp3. i can get alot more for it.
    Last edited by klinkekule; 05-31-2007 at 03:50 PM. Reason: so more people would read and answer the post

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Catch 22. The Prophet suspension rate requires a custom tuned shock to work properly. OEM shocks for Prophets are tuned within a average weight range to work with the frame. A custom tuned shock will work even better because tuners will take account your weight, riding style, etc.

The last time I checked Pushed Industries only works with certain Fox shocks. I sure there are Manitou tuners out there but they are not well publicized nor are there any customer reviews.

Friend of mine has a Heckler, similar suspension rate as the prophet, who replaced his stock 5th Element shock with an RP3. It rode terribly. It would blow through the travel at high pressures and bobbed like mad. He sent it to Push and the bike is like night and day. Plush like hell but SPV like control so no bobbing.
    Last edited by racerzero; 06-01-2007 at 12:48 AM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    hm, maybe tuned is the way to go, though it's somewhat expensive. the rp3 doesn't feel that great now, but it's efficient. maybe i need to fork up some cash for the tuning, or it might be cheaper to just get a new pushed shock. dunno. i'll have to investigate.

Professional Bad Ass
    Feb 2007
    I know this is like comparing apples and oranges, but the 3-way on my Prophet bobs less and is plusher than the RP3 on my roommate's Rush. Seems like the Rush should bob less, since it is more XC oriented. If the Rush is setup to match the efficiency of my 3-way, then it looses any resemblance of plushness. We both weigh around 165 and ride large frames.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    well, that do seem a little odd. a rush with a rp3 i would think would be more efficient than a 3 way on a prophet. i think i will sell the rp3 and use the swinger in the immidiate future, then get a new one from push and try that one out a little bit. i like the idea of the easy efficiency setting of a rear shock, but the shock still have to function smoothly in order for it to be worth it.

doesn't anybody else have a rp3/23/2 on their prophet? would be interesting to hear some more opinions of people how has had that setup for a little while and can compare it to how the swinger functons.

mtbr member

RP3 suketh

I have the new Swinger with 4 spv positions on my Prophet and it is way plusher than any RP3 i have owned or borrowed ...to be honest i never understood the people who claimed the RP3 was a great shock, for me it always felt wooden....I even had one pushed and still did not like it ...but i was comparing that one to a coil on a Dawg at the time....also had the Septune on a Stumpy and although a biatch to Dial in that was a better shock than the RP3 imho.

mnt bike laws of physics
    I have a prophet i put an s-type swinger on it and it works very well. I have a Rush on order and after i test rode it, i am getting the shop to change out the Fox for a Manitou shock. I don't want a shock i have to fiddle with but especially the technical climbs sucked on the Fox where my prophet with the Manitou climbed way better. It just soakes things up while there is no bobbing to speak of. The Fox on the other hand did not respond well to the slower speeds with the pro pedal set, but with the pro pedal off it bobbed like crazy on the climbs.
    The downhills I could not tell much of a difference though.
    I just hope that the Manitou will work as well on the Rush as it does on my Prophet.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    I've experienced quite the same on my 05 Prophet 1000. Bought a RS Pearl 3.3 cheap on ebay. It is less plush but at the same time bottoms out quite easily. The Swinger was much more progressive. But, I like the lockout for the paved transports, and very nice to ride with or without platform.
    I tried to ask Cannondale Helpdesk if they have specially tuned Pearls for the prophet, but only answered that they have specially tuned fox and swingers. But I thougth the Pearl is spec'ed on the MX? I don't think they understood my question.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    i'm not sure what to do with my situation. the rp3 is going to get sold and i'm either getting a pushed rp23, a manitou evolver isx 6 way or the new 4 way swinger. the rp23 can be specially tuned to my bike and the evolver one can basically adjust everything. the new 4 way swinger is kinda like a rp23 with bottom out control were one can adjust the suspension rate in the stroke.

what do you guys recommend?