mtbr member

Prophet Rear Shock Recomendations

I have an 05 Prophet 800 that I have upgraded the entire bike at one time or another. Basically the only thing stock is the externals of the Lefty and the frame. I had a Manitou Swinger 3 way that I upgraded to a few years back. Wasn't much of an upgrade but Santa Cruz was selling all their extra shocks cheap and it was supposed to be a more stable pedal platform than the shock that came on the bike. I have put enough miles on the shock that it needs rebuilt. I only paid $100 for the thing and really would like something that may fight the bob my bike has better than what I have. I've been considering this:

Amazon.com: Fox Racing Shox Float CTD Boost Valve w/ Trail Adjust Rear Shock 2014 (SV): Sports & Outdoors

What are your thoughts on the shock? Would it be good for a guy that weighs around 250lbs with gear? Is there something you think would better suit the bike? Why?

mtbr member
    Is the "santa cruz" shock a fox? I'd probably send it to push if so and get it tuned for your weight and the prophet shock ratio. I think you'd end up with a better performing shock from push vs a new one and it'd be significantly cheaper.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    The Fox is a good shock, but I'd look around for some 2013 or 2012 on sale. $450 is retail for that shock. Since you are paying retail, you might as well go to your LBS and support them.

Keep in mind the Swinger 3way has different mount bushings than the Fox. So, you'll need those too. I'd recommend going with the RWC roller bearing set up. It's an extra $50, but it will save you $100 worth of headache from DU bushing maint. It also rides better.

I had your same set up. Prophet with a Swinger 3way, then to a 2009 Fox RP23. Love it.
    Last edited by ziscwg; 09-04-2013 at 11:26 AM.
    Lead by my Lefty............... right down the trail, no brakes.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by dietz31684 View Post
    Is the "santa cruz" shock a fox? I'd probably send it to push if so and get it tuned for your weight and the prophet shock ratio. I think you'd end up with a better performing shock from push vs a new one and it'd be significantly cheaper.
    Santa Cruz bikes was selling their overstock Manitu Swinger 3 ways dirt cheap. It was decent, but Hayes bought Manitu and made parts nearly impossible to get for a rebuild.

mtbr member
    Yeah, what he ^^^ said. It was a deal you couldn't pass up. It served it's purpose over the years but it's definitely time to upgrade. I was aware of replacing the bushings. The bushings on my current shock really need changed and I've been putting it off because I knew that I'd be buying a new shock soon. What's the RWC roller bearing?

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbg33k View Post
    Yeah, what he ^^^ said. It was a deal you couldn't pass up. It served it's purpose over the years but it's definitely time to upgrade. I was aware of replacing the bushings. The bushings on my current shock really need changed and I've been putting it off because I knew that I'd be buying a new shock soon. What's the RWC roller bearing?
    here
    ABOUT RWC SHOCK EYE NEEDLE BEARING KITS

mtbr member
    Since you mentioned pedal bob, what size chainrings are you running? I switched my middle ring to a 36t and pedal bob increased, now I'm back to 32t and it's better that way. Due to the geometry of the rear suspension, chainring size affects pedal bob inversely. (The downside of a smaller chainring is increased pedal feedback and faster chain wear.)

mtbr member
    I have a 36t. I will say it has increased. I was thinking of trying to get a bigger little ring and riding in it more. Like a 26, that way I have the lower end on the cassette to keep me from switching to my big ring as quick. I'm already missing my 42 big ring. I loved using that to push the speed on the downhill sections.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    I'm also looking to updgrade to a Fox Float CTD shock in the rear of my Prophet as I'm still riding on the stock Radium shock. Would this be a good choice?
    Fox Float CTD Series Evolution Shock 2013 | Fox Racing Shox | Brand | www.PricePoint.com

Is there a particular velocity tune and/or volume size that I need to looking for? I know in the RP23s it wasn't recommended to use the high volume cans, but what about on these new CTD shocks?

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by matadorCE View Post
    I'm also looking to updgrade to a Fox Float CTD shock in the rear of my Prophet as I'm still riding on the stock Radium shock. Would this be a good choice?
    Fox Float CTD Series Evolution Shock 2013 | Fox Racing Shox | Brand | www.PricePoint.com

Is there a particular velocity tune and/or volume size that I need to looking for? I know in the RP23s it wasn't recommended to use the high volume cans, but what about on these new CTD shocks?

I'd still stay with the std air can as the Prophet likes having a platform type shock to keep pedal bob under control. The more air, the more squish at the start of the stroke.

Besides, for the size you need (7.825x2) at the PP sale, the only offer the std can.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by ziscwg View Post
    I'd still stay with the std air can as the Prophet likes having a platform type shock to keep pedal bob under control. The more air, the more squish at the start of the stroke.

Besides, for the size you need (7.825x2) at the PP sale, the only offer the std can.
    Cool, thanks for the info. Do I need to look for a specific velocity tune or is the PP shock good enough?

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by matadorCE View Post
    Cool, thanks for the info. Do I need to look for a specific velocity tune or is the PP shock good enough?
    I think the PP is good enough.