cannondale rider

prophet rear shock question

does anyone know what size manitou swinger 3 way shock the prophet uses. i have a 2005 prophet 600 with the radium shock and i'm looking to upgrade. thanks

mtbr member
    May 2007
    try this one
    http://blur.santacruzbicycles.com/ca...fc2f5475608c8b

I did and it works great. Its an older version of the 3 way, but for $100 vs $250, it was worth it to me.

You'll need these too:
    http://www.adrenalinebikes.com/store...=Shock%20Parts

The measurements are 200 mm eye to eye and 50 mm stroke (IIRC)
    Lead by my Lefty............... right down the trail, no brakes.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    What are finding lacking in the Radium R? I have the same shock so I'm just wondering.

mtbr member
    Go Evolver ISX4! Been very happy with that upgrade.

cannondale rider
    Quote Originally Posted by ziscwg
    try this one
    http://blur.santacruzbicycles.com/ca...fc2f5475608c8b

I did and it works great. Its an older version of the 3 way, but for $100 vs $250, it was worth it to me.

You'll need these too:

The measurements are 200 mm eye to eye and 50 mm stroke (IIRC)
    i cant just use the spacers off my radium?

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by rshank3499
    i cant just use the spacers off my radium?
    I dont recall who makes the radium.
    If it's fox, you cannot. They have a 12.7 mm insert flange vs 12 mm of Answer/manitou.
    If Answer/manitou makes it then you can and save yourself $40 plus shipping.

One other thing, make sure you use red loctite mounting those bushings on the shock

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Vernon Dozier
    What are finding lacking in the Radium R? I have the same shock so I'm just wondering.
    SPV pedal platform and a way better ride. You do have to get it dialed to your liking, but once you do, it's so plushy

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    you can use the bushings as both shocks are manitou. it's not that the cheaper unit is bad, but you are basically comparing manitous top of the line and its cheapest air shocks. the more expensive is (hopefully) bound to be superior. and at a 100bucks it's worth it i think as it is a great deal. i've adviced a lot of people to get the shock from santa cruz due to the nice price.

and if mm isn't your thing, the shock size is 7.825*2.00.

and yes, as kevin says, the evolver is also a great alternative. i got him to get that one (thankfully he liked it as much as i did) and it is excellent. or, i have the isx6 so can only talk about that one. if you can afford it and ride more harder more dh inspired all mountain than more xc inspired all mountain the evolver is def the way to go. if you're more into xc the cheaper 3 way is not necessarily better, but it's a better value and lighter.

good luck on the upgrade. it's bound to make a sweet bike even sweeter.

mtbr member
    Klink> I have one question on it: can't really figure out the different number settings; i.e. 1 through 4 - any idea?

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by ziscwg
    I dont recall who makes the radium.
    If it's fox, you cannot. They have a 12.7 mm insert flange vs 12 mm of Answer/manitou.
    If Answer/manitou makes it then you can and save yourself $40 plus shipping.
    The Radium is also from Answer/Manitou. I just replaced my Radium with the Swinger 3-way on my 05 Prophet 800 and I love it. I used the bushings off my Radium and put them on the Swinger. It was a quick and simple swap. The SPV does help a lot.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    hehe, it's how progressive the bottom out or the end of the stroke is. 1 is the most linear and the 4 being the more progessive. which you wanna use depends on your preferences. so far i've used the 1 setting as the commencal supreme fr is designed quite progressive in itself. i'll prob up it to 2 or 3 depending on how it rides when the going gets tough..

and in other news, damn you kev! you are a terrible influence. i was thinking a 4inch commuter was my next bike project, but tomorrow i'll prob have my very first decent on a dh bike, though it's only a borrowed one. if i like it i might buy it. time will tell. the supreme fr i have is kind of a short travel dh bike, though i've built it more like a do it all kinda bike. the model is called minidh nowadays. so it's designed to be a 6 (6 to seven up front, 6 in the rear) inch dh bike, so i might not need a full on dh bike. tomorrow will tell.

ah, what bike you say. well, sorry no judge, but a commencal supreme dh similar to this one. i can get it over a grand cheaper than the judge, so... i'm just a poor student remember

jeez, did i link, no post, another commencal bike on the cannondale forum. jeez, i'm set to be booted out. oh well.

mtbr member
    Ahh; thanks - it's been hard for me to tell the difference in the settings.

Is that your current Commencal or the one you're trying out? I don't blame you; the Supreme seems sweet. It's just hard for us Americans to find them here! You'll be pulling a Gracia - moving from Cannondale to Commencal!

mtbr member
    it seems whenever someone wants a new shock for their prophet people say get a manitou.
    Am i the only one who has put a Fox RP23 on there prophet?

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    well, i say manitou out of two reasons.

1) the price of the 3 way is hard to beat
    2) the performance and adjustibility of the evolver is hard to beat

the rp23 is also a great shock and would do wonders with the prophet frame, but it is quite expensive. i had little success with the two different rp3s i tried on, but apparently the rp23 is a much better match. and before you call me on it, yeah i know that the evolver costs more than the rp23 hehe. i just think the rp23 compares more to a swinger and i wouldn't personally use nearly 4 times the amount of the swinger to buy a rp23. i'm not saying it would necessarily be a faulty purchase, far from it, i would just go with the swinger of the two. or to be honest, i would go for the evolver no matter what hehe.

and kev, remember that the how much the different settings feel different also depends on the pressure you've set in the ifp, meaning... nevermind. you don't got that setting on the 4. i've never tried a 4 so i'm not sure how to fine tune it. does different settings in the spv pressure affect how progressive the shock feels? or, where do you adjust the spv? under the cap where the numbers are, or down on the main shock body like a swinger?

and yes, the bike above is a supreme dh. my other bike is a supreme fr, or what is now called a minidh. pretty similar bikes, except the dh has a degree slacker head angle, an inch more travel in the back and 2 more up front compared to my fr. it's also heavier (duh ) other than that they are pretty similar.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by klinkekule
    well, i say manitou out of two reasons.

1) the price of the 3 way is hard to beat
    2) the performance and adjustibility of the evolver is hard to beat

the rp23 is also a great shock and would do wonders with the prophet frame, but it is quite expensive. i had little success with the two different rp3s i tried on, but apparently the rp23 is a much better match. and before you call me on it, yeah i know that the evolver costs more than the rp23 hehe. i just think the rp23 compares more to a swinger and i wouldn't personally use nearly 4 times the amount of the swinger to buy a rp23. i'm not saying it would necessarily be a faulty purchase, far from it, i would just go with the swinger of the two. or to be honest, i would go for the evolver no matter what hehe.

and kev, remember that the how much the different settings feel different also depends on the pressure you've set in the ifp, meaning... nevermind. you don't got that setting on the 4. i've never tried a 4 so i'm not sure how to fine tune it. does different settings in the spv pressure affect how progressive the shock feels? or, where do you adjust the spv? under the cap where the numbers are, or down on the main shock body like a swinger?

and yes, the bike above is a supreme dh. my other bike is a supreme fr, or what is now called a minidh. pretty similar bikes, except the dh has a degree slacker head angle, an inch more travel in the back and 2 more up front compared to my fr. it's also heavier (duh ) other than that they are pretty similar.
    Well all i can say is that the RP23 actually does work wonders on the prophet i am very happy with it. I would have consider manitou if i my friend hadnt had a bad experience with them

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    You are not alone! I am also happy with my RP23! Used to have the Swinger 3-way (05).

I changed because I always felt the swinger being either too firm/not sensitive enough or too bobby when pedaling. Simply, I dont fancy the SPV-system.

The RP23 adress this with the propedal switch which suites me better.
    It is also a light shock and look good on the frame.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Not to start another shock post but i have a quick question.
    i just bought a used 2007 Prophet and the more i ride the more i find myself liking the DH/FR stuff. But since i'm still a newbie and like XC riding as well i'll countiune riding the Prophet.

Right now i have the Fox Float R but i want something that can take the abuse, and has a bump stop. will a Manitou Swinger coil SPV 4-way a good upgrade over the OE shock? i dont really care about the weight.
    Thanks

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by daktari
    You are not alone! I am also happy with my RP23! Used to have the Swinger 3-way (05).

I changed because I always felt the swinger being either too firm/not sensitive enough or too bobby when pedaling. Simply, I dont fancy the SPV-system.

The RP23 adress this with the propedal switch which suites me better.
    It is also a light shock and look good on the frame.
    Im so glad theres someone like me that actually feels the same way about SPV

mtbr member
    Chris, an Evolver ISX 4 or 6 would also do the job.

Members who have read this thread: 0