mtbr member
    Jun 2013

Prophet rear shock: how to stop blowing through most of the rear travel?

I've spoiled things for myself by riding other FS bikes (most recently a SC Heckler) and the way the back end of my Prophet behaves is starting to bother me. I've used the stock Radium shock and I've been running a Factory CTD shock but even if I'm able to set the recommended amount of sag, I still feel like I blow through most of the travel even if I'm just crusing on tame xc trails.

Is there a solution to this or is it just part of the geometry design? Is a new shock the answer or will getting my shock custom valved solve anything?

mtbr member
    I own a prophet too and from what I've read and personal experience is that it's the nature of the beast with the regressive suspension design. I've heard of people better luck with PUSH custom tuning (which is the way I'd go if I was putting money into this bike). At this point I'm saving pennies to fund the next bike with a more modern/different suspension.

Is the CDT fitted with a small air can and high compression tune? This would be idea for the prophet.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Thanks for the reply. The CTD I'm using is a Factory Boost Valve model with the normal can size and I think it's a medium tune. I did put a volume spacer in the shock and it made a little difference but not substantial. I've already put a good amount of money into the bike (wheels, fork, brakes, cockpit, shock) so I'm wondering if a custom tune will make that much difference or consider moving on to something else.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Updating this thread in case someone is not happy with the rear shock in their Prophet. I sent my CTD shock off to Suspension Experts in N.C. to get "pushed" and rebuilt.
    I was hesitant to send my shock off to get tuned since I didn't know if it would make a noticeable difference or not, but I spoke to the guys at Suspension Experts about what I was looking to get out of the shock and they set my mind at ease that a tune would get me the results I was looking for.

Long story short, got the shock back from having it tuned and it rides much better! I don't eat up all the travel anymore, pedaling feels a lot more efficient, climbing felt a lot better, and rear end felt much better composed and firm. I definitely recommend getting your rear shock tuned if you're looking to breathe some new life into your Prophet.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Thanks for keeping this alive, trying to do the same to my bike. I've been looking for a new rear shock as I'm still actually running the original Swinger 3 way! I've had it rebuilt a couple of times...

I desperately need to freshen this ride up and have been looking at the new Crane Creek DBinline as my main option. I don't know if that would be $$ best spent since though since they're ~$500...not sure if I want to spend that kind of cheese on a shock specifically for this frame (9 yrs old now). I live in GA and ride a lot of uphill, but live for the downhill, so something with a Propedal or Climb Switch would be best. I get a lot of "peddal bob" right now when peddling uphill standing up. I would still like something that can handle moderate drops/jumps as well.

There's so much talk about "Regressive Rate" and "Tunes" and "Can Sizes" I can't keep it all straight. Not to mention the shock travel length discussions on here. I just want someone to tell me what the hell to buy!! Spring and Fall are the main times to ride here because of the summer heat/humidity and I've let it get too close! Help!