mtbr member
    Apr 2007

Prophet rear shock bushings - Again!

I appologize for beating a dead horse on the rear shock bushing issue. Has anyone tried using steel replacement bushings for the rear shock on their Prophet? I believe I have a slight missalignment of the front shock mounts (incorrectly set wider than 27.4mm) which I think has helped to eat my front bushings. I'm proposing to get a steel bushing kit and machine the length to suit. I would also have to machine the spacers (or collars). Anyone done this for a Prophet?

discombobulated SuperModerator
    Jun 2005
    I made my aluminum ones for the 5th element...These are the spacers that mount the shock to the frame right

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Yes thats exactly it. The shock mount hardware being the DU insert in the eyelet, the stainless steel bolt, and pair of spacer/bushings. It's the spacer/bushing which I aim to swap out with a steel bushing. But the steel one available is more like an axle with an OD to fit inside the DU insert and it doesn't step up in diameter to act as a spacer so you have to add sort of floating spacers on the either side of the shock to keep it centered. I've seen this done for a DH set-up as a preventive measure against potential damage to the shock eyes on a big hit bottom out. (I won't need it for that.)

So you machined your own bushings on a lathe to match the stock bushings, using aluminum alloy? Did you micrometer the stock bushings for size or did you manage to get manufacturer specs?

discombobulated SuperModerator
    Jun 2005
    I measured them up and 'lathed' them.. Only reason I had to , the shock mounting tab thickness was different than the Manitou Radium....
    CDT

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    I talked to a knowledgeable sounding mechanic at the nearest Cdale repair shop (about a 1000 miles away). He recommended I stick with the design bushings rather than the steel with collars. To take up the slack (as I believe my front mount has a little) he suggested to add a thin spacer (washer) between the bushing and shock mount. Hmmm. Not sure I like that one. Also found out that I shouldn't be greasing the bushing/DU insert contact surfaces - just keep clean and let the nylon coating on the DU insert do the work. But okay to grease the bolt.

mtbr member
    I have ordered HD mount kit for my Prophet, it should be here any day now so I will let you know how it works.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Thanks for the link Pecka. The pictures are worth a thousand words.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by pecka
    I have ordered HD mount kit for my Prophet, it should be here any day now so I will let you know how it works.
    Pecka,

I had the LBS order me a HD bushing kit but received the order without bushes and a regular set of spacers for a different bike! Needles to say I gave that set back to the LBS for use as paper-weights. Tired of trying to be different, I have since phone ordered the stock bushing kit and hardware from a C-dale dealer many miles away. I am still interested to hear how you make out.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by snortz6
    Pecka,

I had the LBS order me a HD bushing kit but received the order without bushes and a regular set of spacers for a different bike! Needles to say I gave that set back to the LBS for use as paper-weights. Tired of trying to be different, I have since phone ordered the stock bushing kit and hardware from a C-dale dealer many miles away. I am still interested to hear how you make out.
    Haha, my story is a bit different but with same result.
    I ordered the HD kit from Tim Flooks and since it didn't arrived in almost 2 week I emailed him what is going on only to find out that they have misplaced my order.
    But it's all good now and the package is on it's way - I hope I will be able to install my RP23 this week - some 5 weeks after receiving it.
    I'll keep you posted.

mtbr member
    Just got the HD kit from TFT.
    Now I have two problems - I'm not able to remove one of the original aluminum spacers and I'm not able to insert the steel pin into the DU bearing.
    I guess I will need to use vice. goddamnit!

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Try a 1/4" screw extractor? I think that's the way Fox said to do it. I used a pair of vise grips and a rubber mallet. Go figure.
    Billy

mtbr member

Good job!

Done!
    I used needle pliers and brute force to pry the spacer from the eylet - I managed to nick the shock but it's just cosmetic problem (but it hurts anyway).
    I went to hardware store today and bought M8 bolt, nut and couple of spacers and made a press to push the pins into the eyelets.

I will install the shock today and let you know if there will be any problem.

Some pics:

DIY press:

Finished installation:

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Glad to see you are on the trail again. I also have things working again with the stock bushing hardware but am envious of the HD you acquired. To make mine work I put a couple thin washers (total of about 0.5mm) outside the right spacer to take up the slack between the front shock mount tabs on the down tube (this is a problem with my frame). Don't feel bad about nicking the shock - I majorly chewed up the finish on my frame (on the shock mount tab) trying to get the seized bolt out of the spacers. Misery loves company.

mtbr member
    Hello my name is pecka and I'm loser.
    I tried to install the shock only to find out that the shock piston rod is rtated few degrees so the eyelets are not parallel anymore.
    I think somebody really hates me!

I put the swinger back and just came back from great 3,5 hour ride - at least something IS working.
    I will take back the shock to my LBS and see what they can do about it.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    pecka you are too hard on yourself. You should feel good cause there's plenty of us who do stupider stuff daily (I'm no exception). Hope everything worked out.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by snortz6
    pecka you are too hard on yourself. You should feel good cause there's plenty of us who do stupider stuff daily (I'm no exception). Hope everything worked out.
    I've sent the shock in for warranty repair and I'm waiting what the outcome will be - hopefully I will be able to ride it some day.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Hi Pecka,
    no need for sending the shock in. Just release the air from the main chamber and you can turn the eylete as you whant them to be. As far as the original answer was: I am using the stainless steel bushings from Manitou on my Prophet since about 5000 miles.
    These have a far better wear rate as the aluminium ones, espetially on the rear shock eye.
    Since using the stainless axles I will have to replace the shockbushings about 2 times a year and the front once a year (3500 miles/year). Bevore it was about 3 times as much and the rear aluminium bushing needed replacement 3 times a year.

So long cw

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Thanks cwrender. I will likely change over to HD like you and pecka on my next set of bushings, especially if I get a short life out of the current stock set.

mtbr member
    Finally done!
    After several hiccups I have installed the RP23. After one ride I can feel the difference from Swinger - platform effect is more pronounced. I have started with middle platform setting but during the ride I have switched to the lowest one - otherwise the shock was a bit harsh.
    I'll see how it changes after it's fully broken in.

Obligate picture:

mtbr member
    Just thought I'd say I've just fitted the HD bushing kit from TF Tuned to my prophet today with the fitting tool they offer. It all went to plan and took less than 5 min. Well recomended.