mtbr member

Prophet Rear Shock

If I'm running the Fox Float R shock on my Prophet 4, and want to convert to the 08 Fox RP23 shock, do I have to make sure I have anything else when I finally purchase the shock?

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by mgreen
    If I'm running the Fox Float R shock on my Prophet 4, and want to convert to the 08 Fox RP23 shock, do I have to make sure I have anything else when I finally purchase the shock?
    Just the correct bushings (if they are different) and a shock pump. I mistakenly thought the bushing mount dia of my new Swinger 3way and my old float R were the same. Turns out Fox uses 12.7 mm and Answer uses 12 mm.
    Lead by my Lefty............... right down the trail, no brakes.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Depends if you buy it brand new from a dealer, they will get it from Fox with the correct hardware installed. If you buy it on ebay or another place, most probably hardware not fitting the prophet will be installed, and you have to replace it. The hardware in use from your current Fox should fit the new one.

Dimensions here
    http://www.cannondale.com/asset/iu_f...p_guide_en.pdf

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    daktari was also talking about how some rp23s with some kind valving (i think it was) fits the prophet better than other. I had a rp3 on mine for a little while and di not like it at all. way too slow.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Different valving or different shims - I don't know for sure.
    Fox obviously ship their shocks with different settings - 3 for compression (less-more) and 3 for rebound, a total of 9 different. I think they achieve this with having different shims in the damper unit. They show this with a sticker on the shock. The also have a "large volume air spring" which will make the shock more linear in performance. This is not good for the prophet, which need a progressive shock. I am not sure if they still have AVA - the adjustable air chamber to change the air spring rate on the fly.