mtbr member

Bonking ... not feelin' well Prophet and Radium R - blowing through travel

I have 2005 Prophet frame with stock Manitou Radium R rear shock (bought used). My weight is about 135 lbs (60-63 kg) and shock pressure is about 85-90 psi.

Despite normal 25-30% of SAG I'm bottoming it out easily - I close the travel on almost every XC ride, not mentioning riding enduro in mountains.

Is it normal, or is something wrong with my shock?

Just a flesh wound
    I have the same set up. '05 800 w/ Radium R. I am 180 and I run the Radium at 140 to 150 lbs.

Pump up the pressure a bit and see what happens.

mtbr member
    I did it earlier, obviously. The problem is still present when I ride about 100 psi, and the SAG gets close to 0% then...

mtbr member
    Have the seals ever been replaced? The shock should be taken apart, lubed, and have a new seal kit instaled. This could solve your problem, but there is no guaranty because you dont know what the previous owner did with the shock. By buying second hand, you also void the warranty on the shock (expired in 2006 anyway due to the 1 year warranty on parts).

Not sure on the Radium shocks but sometimes with the Fox's air will become trapped in the negative air chaimber and prevent the shock from opening to fully open. This could give the false appearence that you are bottoming out because you may be only using 50-70% of the shock unknowingly. This is a pretty easy fix, just clear the air from the negative chaimber by opening the shock, sometimes the seals need to be replaced, which will require a small fee from the LBS to order in the part.

Hope this helps

Good Luck

mtbr member
    Go to santa cruz bikes website and buy a new shock for $99. If you search this forum you find talks abut it. To service the one you have may cost you close to the new one.
    What do I know, ask the "experts"!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ozvena
    Go to santa cruz bikes website and buy a new shock for $99. If you search this forum you find talks abut it. To service the one you have may cost you close to the new one.
    You mean same problems with Radium R? Could you please suggest some links to discussions about that?

Unfortunately I'm not from America, so shopping at Santa Cruz is not an option...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ozvena
    last time i checked they werent selling the manitou 3 way....

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Duncan1104
    last time i checked they werent selling the manitou 3 way....
    But they are selling Fox Float Rs which will fit. This Fox is for the Blurr so the propedal will be set on minimum. If you're a masher then you'll probably have to send to Push for a stronger propedal.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Before you spend your cash try pumping it up some more, you've nothing to lose if the seals are blown anyway. I run mine at 200lbs+ but then again I'm big boned!

mtbr member
    Yeah, manitou are sold but they are selling fox as mentioned:

http://www.santacruzbicycles.com/cat...tbm05ct8c9v9s2

Go to cannondale web site and download the suspension setup guide in pdf. It shows that for 63kg the recommended pressure is in XC 125psi and in FR 110psi.

If that doesn't work I may have a spare shock for you.

mtbr member
    SAG is a tricky thing. With all the friction from seals and SPV it is next to impossible to adjust it correctly. So if it bottoms out add air, that is it.

Keep us posted.

mtbr member

mtbr member
    Yes, I've read this manual before, and I've started with recommended pressure. SAG was measured in couple ways (after some bouncing on the bike to avoid platform/stiction distortion, and also during the ride using marker) and it was always near to 0%.
    On 100 psi ride was harsh and i was still using nearly all travel (didn't feel bottoming out, but o-ring was telling it was 2"). So I've dropped 10 psi and the feel is much better. But the problem of travel is still present...

I guess I'll have to spend some money and off-bike time to send it for rebuild...

mtbr member
    Any progress made with that shock?

mtbr member
    With THAT shock - no.

But I've ordered a new Swinger 3-Way (Air), so within few days I will try how suspension feels with other shock (and then I'll know if it was shocks fault in fact).