Thread: Prophet pricing

mtbr member
    Sep 2007

Prophet pricing

Prophet bike can be had for $1299 and frame with rp23 for $999...is $999 a good deal or nothing special?

(575 can be had for $100 less and Heckler for $100 more roughly; with the same shock but no brainer traditional headset. Decisions, decisions, decisions.....)

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    well, usually getting a cannondale frame seperately means dishing out more than necessary. buying a complete bike and selling all the bits are bound to give a larger profit than 300 bucks. i have no idea if 999 is a good deal over yonder as i'm from euroland, but over here 999 for a new frame would be a steal. just imagine what a complete bike for 1299 would be... ;-) hehe.

on the other hand, a rp23 can be expensive and so might your time be, so getting a frame and noth having to deal with the extra fuss might be worth it. the rp23 is an infinately better shock than what ever's on the lower end prophet anyway. but... you could always just get a 3 way swinger from santa cruz at 99 bucks and get a decent setup.

so the moral of the post: it depends on what you want if it's a good deal or not. if you can make more than 300 bucks from selling all the bits and end up with the same shock, sure you come up ahead. if not, it's a toss between what you want. it's cheaper to get a complete bike and rebuild as you go than building one from a frame, but the end result might just end up being the same anyway - but with the latter option you have a killer bike all the way, instead of one that keeps on getting better.

so did i really give you a conclusive answer? no, i gave you many ;-) hehe. have fun with the project. the prophet is a nice bike and depending on the build can be a killer bike.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    cool! )

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    and yes, what models are you looking at? 05, 06 , 07 or 08? i take it that the frame is 08, but what about the bike?
    Last edited by klinkekule; 10-12-2007 at 03:39 AM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    both are 08...(I would sell components from the bike as I have a better kit ready but would get a frame only with less headache selling the components not to mention rp23.)
    Last edited by nonojoe; 10-12-2007 at 05:59 AM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Is headtube length of 08 prophet 4.5" long regardless the frame size? I need the size for XL. Also do I have to spend $$$ for cane creek headset or these would do just fine:

http://www.universalcycles.com/shopp...7&category=502
    http://www.universalcycles.com/shopp...3&category=502

It seems like FSA Big Fat Pig Headset is a build tougher and may last longer.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by nonojoe
    I would sell components from the bike as I have a better kit ready but would get a frame only with less headache selling the components not to mention rp23.)
    ej, one needs to hold a steady train of thought through that sentence. so you're going for the frame i take it? what color is the frame supplied in?

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Sorry, yes, right this second I am after the frame only but I need to find out what headset would fit it. If I need to pay $100 for it, I get Heckler or low end Prophet complete bike.

I am not even talking about color at this stage of the project. I am hoping for a polished one.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I called Cannondale and confirmed that headtube lenght is 4.5" and that any 1.5" headset would fit.

I called my LBS to place the order, they called Cannondale and gave me 6-8 weeks delivery estimate. Ouch!

I called Cannondale and they told me 4 to 6 weeks. better but still kind of long..

May be time to get something used?

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    6-8 weeks? it should be possible to get a frame that's already on the marked then. there's bound to be some prophets lurking about in various shops. besides, the prophets comes in the not very creative black or white colorways next year so a older frame might actually look better. then again, if the wait is so long it kills the rest of the season you could always just wait till march and get one of the new 130 or 160mm models. don't get me wrong here, the prophet frame is still an excellent frame. good luck on the hunt and keep us posted eh ? remember to post pictures of the rig when done ;o)

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I really narrowed it down to Prophet, 757 or Hecker (all with RP23). I am only interested in single pivot design frames with RP23. I do not like 757's carbon flex element and Heckler is hundreds of $$ more and would have to be ordered too. 08 Prophet frame cames in raw and that is my preferred color. Hackler in raw is $$$ extra. Prophet has lifetime frame warranty too.

I placed an order with LBS for 08 Prophet already and I hope I will get it in 3-4 weeks, it is realistic. In the mean time I use my wife's HT so I am somewhat covered there.

I would say that I can still cancel the order but I do not see any quicker way to get what I want.