Master of the Face Plant
    Feb 2004

Prophet owners I need some help!

I am 5'10 200 pounds and I currently ride a medium Turner Flux. The bike is a good fit for me with a 100mm stem. I found a very nice medium Prophet 600 for 900 bucks. It looks like it was never ridden, not a scatch on it anywhere. I have yet to ride it but I am planning a test ride tomorrow. I owned a F2000 with a lefty a few years ago and I loved the lefty. Are any of you close to my size and if so what size frame do you ride? My f2000 was a large and I felt a bit stretched out on it and the standover wasn't so good. Do you think 900 is a good deal considering the bike is in excellent condition? all the parts are stock and it is a 2005 model. It has Mavic 117's and Avid bb7 brakes, xt rear and lx front with truvativ cranks. Thanks!

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    If it is like new , you got a great deal , buy it quick

BTW at 5'10 a Med is the right size for you and a new one with lefty will cost you a lot more these days.

LA CHÈVRE
    I'm also 5'10" and ride a Medium, fits me perfectly with the stock stem but even if we are the same height, it doesn't mean we have the same proportions and tastes on how a bike should fit, definitly try it before you buy but it should be a good size for you.

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

mtbr member

Make sure you Test Ride

Im 5'10 185 bs and ride the Large it is perfect for me. I took a medium home and it felt very cramped. Luckily REI lbs took great care of me. Good luck.

mtbr member

2 cents

I'd definitely go with it.

A question you'll have to ask yourself
    1) Primary riding style(Will you be doing 6-8 hour XC riding or 3-4hrs Mountain Diving?) I've had mine for over 2yrs and primarily use it for XC mountain treks, I've replaced rear Fire hub and brakepads.

Master of the Face Plant
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by XCProphet
    I'd definitely go with it.

A question you'll have to ask yourself
    1) Primary riding style(Will you be doing 6-8 hour XC riding or 3-4hrs Mountain Diving?) I've had mine for over 2yrs and primarily use it for XC mountain treks, I've replaced rear Fire hub and brakepads.
    Thanks for the input everyone. I do mainly xc riding but I want a bike that can handle some tougher trails like noble canyon. I think the slacker head angle is good for this. I have a set of custom Stans ztr 355 rims built on King hubs that I will be using if I buy it. I tend to like a smaller bike. My Stumpjumper was a Medium as was my NRS and my Turner and my GT. My Cannondale was a large but I had to get a shorter stem because it felt to stretched out for me. Test ride is tomorrow and I cleared it with the wife.

Master of the Face Plant
    Feb 2004
    I bought it! I managed to get it down to 800 and the bike is in pristine condition. The tires still have the little hairs on them. I rode it a bit and it fit me quite well. Standover is perfect and leg extention is quite good. It is heavier than I am used to but it didn't ride like it. Cannondales medium is definately larger than Turners or maybe it is just the geometry. I have some x.9 shifters and derailler that I will be upgrading to and I plan to swap the rear wheel for a much lighter custom one and I will swap the brake levers for some avids. I will post some pics tonight. There is one just like it selling on ebay and bids are up to over 1,000 bucks so if I end up not liking it I will just sell it and make some money!

memento mori
    Feb 2004
    Funny I ride a Burner w/xr rockers and a Prophet,both mediums.I'm 5'11" and 175,both fit great and ride different enough to justify having both.

Master of the Face Plant
    Feb 2004

So here it is!

Took these pics just as I brought it home. Holy crap we just had an earthquake! Happened right as I am typing this. Anyway I have already swapped the derailer and shifters to x.9's that I had left over and I swapped the brake levers to Avid speed dials. I removed all the reflectors. Swapped the pedals for Crank bros candys. The guy I got it from bought it for his wife and she never rode it.Click on the pics for a larger image.

Click to enlarge.

mtbr member
    $800

Call the cops , the previous owner was robbed !!!

You got a Smokin' Hot deal there .

Ride the snot out of it

Master of the Face Plant
    Feb 2004
    I took her out for the first real ride today. After getting the x.9 shifting smooth and making a few minor adjustments I must say I am very pleased. I was quite impressed with the pedaling efficiency. I could not see any bobbing in the rear and it climbed nicely. Considering that I ride a Turner flux that is saying alot. It tracks predictably and soaks up bumps better than my Flux. The ride is confidence inspiring.

I have a few questions. I am about 210 with all my gear on and I think I need to get the red coil spring for the lefty to stiffen it up a bit. However I would like to hear what you guys run for air pressure in the rear. I am also considering a different wheel for the front. My ZTR 355 on a king hub works fine in the rear but I would like to have another tubless wheel built around the lefty hub. Are there any good online shops that carry lefty stems and parts? Thanks.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007

prophet 600

hi

i bought a prophet 600 med and i am 5'11'' 200lbs and it fits perfectly
    i rode a 12 yr old hardtail cannondale before that and i love love this bike and would recommend it hands down. it could take whatever you throw at it and keeps asking for more. i, too got it for 900.00 and that was quite a steal . it retails for probably 2500 with all the extras the guy had on it. aside from my wife and kids, its my favorite thing in the world to do. the tracking is amazing and the climbing, although its a bit haeavy but all in all it kicks butt. go for it