mtbr member

prophet noise in pivot point

I am getting a constant tick noise from my prophet. I know it isnt the seat or the clamp. I am fairly certain it isnt the lefty or the rear hub. If I hold on the handle bars and lay the bike on its side, not completely touching the ground but on an angle, and put pressure on the swing arm it makes the exact same noise as when I am riding. I am fairly certain I have ruled out seat, fork, crank and hub but I dont know what is making the noise in the pivot. I dont have a friggin clue how to get it to stop. anyone have a specific problem with their swing arm making a noise like this and what did you do to fix it. I took the pivot apart (to some degree) and added some grease but it did nothing to the noise.
    Chance favors the prepared mind

Cereal Killer
    Hehe, I've had the same thing going on for months. I narrowed mine down to the shock bolt connecting the shock to the swingarm. I'm 99% sure that's what it is. Haven't had a chance to to do anything about it though. The way I found out was I was switching it from XC to FR, and it clicked right when I was unscrewing it. The click went away for about 30 minutes of riding, but came right back. Not sure why though. Anyone have any ideas?

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    I have the same issue, and have not been able to find out where it is. I didn't even think to check the XC/FR pin. I've tightened the fork bolts as per some other recommendations, but to no avail...

Also, it seem intermittent, and only appears on occassion. I'm sure the minute I bring it to the LBS it'll go away. Isn't that always the case?
    Brian
    - Nobody believes the official spokesman... but everybody trusts an unidentified source..- Ron Nesen

mtbr member

me too

I had the same thing going on, 'bout drove me nuts... I noticed that it was when my right pedal was at the 1 o'clock position. It ended up being the chain hitting the swing arm. I found it by accident. I noticed that it stopped after I put a Lizard Skins thing on.
    Don't ping my cheese with your bandwidth.

Cereal Killer
    I was able to take my bike in the stand, and just press on the frame and swingarm and get it to do it. I even had the crank off and everything and it still did it. So I don't think mine is the chain. I'm going to play around with that bolt for the shock and see if I can figure something out. I'll write back and let you all know what I find out.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005

Same problem - Cannondale recognizes it

Quote Originally Posted by defcon4
    I am getting a constant tick noise from my prophet. I know it isnt the seat or the clamp. I am fairly certain it isnt the lefty or the rear hub. If I hold on the handle bars and lay the bike on its side, not completely touching the ground but on an angle, and put pressure on the swing arm it makes the exact same noise as when I am riding. I am fairly certain I have ruled out seat, fork, crank and hub but I dont know what is making the noise in the pivot. I dont have a friggin clue how to get it to stop. anyone have a specific problem with their swing arm making a noise like this and what did you do to fix it. I took the pivot apart (to some degree) and added some grease but it did nothing to the noise.
    Hi there,

I got same problem and went back to my LBS. First time the LBS blame the few pressure on the shock and some loose screws. It worked ok for 1hour. Now I called back LBS and the news are: CANNONDALE recognizes a problem in the setup at least for the 1000 european version. Warranty claim is on and I'm waiting for Cannondale news about the pieces to replace. So, watch out and call your LBS or Cannondale, don't think it's yours setup problem. It's a real setup defect from factory.

JS

Cyclovore

ticking is solved

Quote Originally Posted by defcon4
    After having my BB replaced by LBS, my bike was still ticking. It did this only when pedaling or when lateral force was applied. I checked it with the shock off, still ticked. I checked with the pedals off, still ticked. My LBS removed everything and greased it. Still ticked. He kept it for a week and ordered a new swingarm, installed it, still ticked. So he replaced the bearings in the piviots, no tick. The drive side pivot bearing was rusted and scored on its outer face, thus the side to side forces caused it to rub the face of the pivot where it is pressed into. After fixing it he didn't feel like removing the new swingarm and left it on. Not a bad deal at all. The new bearings cost like 7 bucks.
    Bliss is thumping the prophet through the woods, as "Painkiller " wails through your phones. Ride a metal monster.

mtbr member

thanks for the help

jvfs and kline
    thanks for the input. I am going to call my lbs and see what to do. There is no way I am leaving my bike sit in a shop during august so I will see if they can check the bearings first. if that doesnt work I guess just keep an eye out for cannondale recall. thanks for the help.
    Chance favors the prepared mind

Cereal Killer
    Thanks for the info Mike Kline. I'll check that out first thing tomorrow. I work at a bike shop, so I can do the mechanical side. Just need to see if we have the correct size bearing. If not, I'll take it to the shop I bought it at and go from there.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Mine is in the shop for the same thing. After chasing the noise for a month, I figured it out as well. When we removed the swingarm, the bearing on one side was actually able to be pressed out by hand. Not a snug enough fit. Grease astually made it worse. My LBS has been in contact with Cannondale and they have asked that we try a locktite type product -can't remember the exact name. I will give it a try. I was told if it doesn't help, a new swingarm will be on the way.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Kline
    After having my BB replaced by LBS, my bike was still ticking. It did this only when pedaling or when lateral force was applied. I checked it with the shock off, still ticked. I checked with the pedals off, still ticked. My LBS removed everything and greased it. Still ticked. He kept it for a week and ordered a new swingarm, installed it, still ticked. So he replaced the bearings in the piviots, no tick. The drive side pivot bearing was rusted and scored on its outer face, thus the side to side forces caused it to rub the face of the pivot where it is pressed into. After fixing it he didn't feel like removing the new swingarm and left it on. Not a bad deal at all. The new bearings cost like 7 bucks.
    Yep I had the same problem, seems like the bearings don't have enough grease in them from new so water gets in and causes rust. Lucky they are cheap.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Update:
    The loctite did not help either so a new swingarm, new bearings and pivot bolt was ordered. I installed it today and the creak is gone.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005

Yup, I bet it's the spacers on the shock mounts!

Quote Originally Posted by JVFS
    Hi there,

I got same problem and went back to my LBS. First time the LBS blame the few pressure on the shock and some loose screws. It worked ok for 1hour. Now I called back LBS and the news are: CANNONDALE recognizes a problem in the setup at least for the 1000 european version. Warranty claim is on and I'm waiting for Cannondale news about the pieces to replace. So, watch out and call your LBS or Cannondale, don't think it's yours setup problem. It's a real setup defect from factory.

JS

Can't wait to hear what C-dales resolution is for this.
    I'm willing to bet they change the material the spacers are made of.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005

Is Cannondale supplying the replacement pivot bearings?

Anyone know what the part number is?

Cereal Killer
    From another post I read about this, the bearing number is 6902. After looking around here at my shop, we actually have that one in stock! It's actually a bearing for a Haro BMX crank. They seem to be pretty good, so I'm going to try them today. I'll post back with the results.

Cereal Killer
    Well, just replaced the bearings in the swingarm. The bearings I put in are actually made by Enduro. And the click is still there, but not as much. I don't know what else it could be. I give up.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005

I think it's more than just the bearings.

Quote Originally Posted by chadmeeh
    Well, just replaced the bearings in the swingarm. The bearings I put in are actually made by Enduro. And the click is still there, but not as much. I don't know what else it could be. I give up.
    I'm starting to suspect the bearing to swingarm interface.
    I greased mine & it still ticks.

In addition those inside spacers that cover the bearings where they meet the frame pivot point are suspect as well, aluminum to aluminum interface & they look like they are scoring or ratcheting.

They should have made them out of delrin or some really hard plastic.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Elzippo
    Anyone know what the part number is?

Prophet part numbers - (Cannondale part numbers)

Pivot assembly KF100 (axle bolt and spacers)
    Pivot bearing KB61902 (2 needed, come as singles)
    Last edited by rossco; 09-15-2005 at 12:06 AM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rossco
    Prophet part numbers - (Cannondale part numbers)

Pivot assembly KF100 (axle bolt and spacers)
    Pivot bearing KB61902 (2 needed, come as singles)
    I wonder if I should buy roller bearing in the same size, well maybe next time if the SKF blows up

mtbr member
    Mar 2005

No good I still think it's more than that.

Quote Originally Posted by pecka
    I wonder if I should buy roller bearing in the same size, well maybe next time if the SKF blows up

I'm willing to bet that Cannondale has some design tolerance issues with their Prophet lower swingarms pivot seats. New bearings will not correct this.

My right side bearing fit was so tight that I had to make sure it was percisely perpendicular while being tapped back into the swingarm. It actually took some major skill to get it in & out.

The left side bearing popped out like a seed from a ripe watermellon.

Something ain't right here.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    I'm willing to bet that Cannondale has some design tolerance issues with their Prophet lower swingarms pivot seats. New bearings will not correct this.

My right side bearing fit was so tight that I had to make sure it was percisely perpendicular while being tapped back into the swingarm. It actually took some major skill to get it in & out.

The left side bearing popped out like a seed from a ripe watermellon.

Something ain't right here.
    Exactly. My feeling is that my swingarm was milled incorrectly. The new swingarm was delivered with the bearings already installed and so far has been silent.

As far as roller bearings go, I don't think they can support a side load.

mtbr member
    As far as roller bearings go, I don't think they can support a side load.
    I don't think so, this is from SKF website:
    SKF single row cylindrical roller bearings can accommodate heavy radial loads and high speeds
    I think thay may be better suited for this application, but I don't know if they are available in the right size (I'm talking about roller not needle bearing)

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by pecka
    I don't think so, this is from SKF website:
    SKF single row cylindrical roller bearings can accommodate heavy radial loads and high speeds
    I think thay may be better suited for this application, but I don't know if they are available in the right size (I'm talking about roller not needle bearing)
    Yep, I was thinking needle bearings. Sorry.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005

Idea! Is it me? or I think you're both confused!

Yep, I was thinking needle bearings. Sorry.

A radial load is one that eminates from a point, like the spokes from the hub of a wheel.

An axial load eminates along the same line as an axis (coaxial) or centerline: parallel (geometry), contrary to radial or perpendicular.

A radial ball bearing uses inner and outer races that are shaped so a radial load passes radially through the bearing. Most radial designs also support modest axial loads.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ball_bearings

discombobulated SuperModerator
    Jun 2005
    tapered roller bearings ? overkill !!!
    Wonder if my bike will be making noises soon

Ex-Clydesdale
    Son of a....

Mine's making the noise, too. It's been making it for a while, and I just figured it was the bottom bracket. It's definitely the pivot though. I can stand up and pedal, it creaks. I can seat on the seat and pedal, it creaks. I can sit on the seat, take my feet off the pedals, move the bike side-to-side (shifting my weight), it creaks. Definitely the pivot. Great.
    '94 RSBikes Stampede (commuter), '05 Prophet, '09 Scattante XRL Team, '10 Slice 4
    Retired: 97 C-DaleSuper-V, 05 C-Dale R5000

mtbr member
    Mar 2005

I have heard...

That C-Dale is recommending a new bearing kit & a gap filling loctite adhesive instead of grease in the lower pivot.

Mine is on order, I'll let you know how I make out.

LA CHÈVRE
    [handgestures]finger crossed[/handgestures]

At least, it's an easy fix.

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

Cereal Killer

Bonking ... not feelin' well

That C-Dale is recommending a new bearing kit & a gap filling loctite adhesive instead of grease in the lower pivot.

Mine is on order, I'll let you know how I make out.
    Must be nice, the bike shop I got mine at doesn't want to help me out at all. They just told me to replace the bearings and put locktite on it. Seems they don't want to take the time to make it right. O'well such is my luck.

LA CHÈVRE
    Are you serious? Change LBS...

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

Ex-Clydesdale
    I wonder which Loctite adhesive they're recommending. Depending on the type, it can make things very interesting if you'd need to replace the bearings again later.
    '94 RSBikes Stampede (commuter), '05 Prophet, '09 Scattante XRL Team, '10 Slice 4
    Retired: 97 C-DaleSuper-V, 05 C-Dale R5000

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dwayne
    I wonder which Loctite adhesive they're recommending. Depending on the type, it can make things very interesting if you'd need to replace the bearings again later.
    I don't think they mean adhesive as in "glue", you better use the red Loctite, a sealant. Otherwise you'll need to replace your swingarm along w/ bearings.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005

You need to demand..

Quote Originally Posted by chadmeeh
    Must be nice, the bike shop I got mine at doesn't want to help me out at all. They just told me to replace the bearings and put locktite on it. Seems they don't want to take the time to make it right. O'well such is my luck.
    You need to demand that they contact their cannondale regional rep.
    If they won't do it then you need to call or email Cannondale Customer Service.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005

I believe it's Loctite-262...

Quote Originally Posted by Dwayne
    The Red type...And it's not something that the consumer should be doing themselves as there's most likely a process that they are trying to prove out before they end up recalling them.

Take it to your dealer & have them do it.
    If they re-use your existing swing-arm then all the grease needs to be purged from the bearing seats and while they're doing that they might as well install a new set of bearings. This is a warranty/design call, not a worn out part.

Cereal Killer
    You need to demand that they contact their cannondale regional rep.
    If they won't do it then you need to call or email Cannondale Customer Service.

That's what I'm going to do here soon. This ticking sound is driving me nuts. I know there is another Cannondale dealer somewhere close, so I may give them a call and find out what they can do for me.