trail addict

prophet mz3 vs prophet mx2

Just wondering about these two. I test rode an mx2 and loved it. I was wondering how much lighter the z3 would be. I want a bike that will take some hard trail riding and a trip to a bike park once in a while. I am not a hard core free-rider and I am not very heavy (160 lbs) but I have just about been talked into buying the mx. Would I be buying too much bike? I currently do 2-3 ft drops and jumps with my hardtail, maybe 4 feet if the landing is really nice. Lots of singletrack, some smooth, some pretty rough. The guy at the shop said the regular prophet is only rated to 2 ft drops? I should go with the mx for anything higher than 2 ft? For comparison, my bud says his Specialized Enduro Elite is pretty ideal for most of our riding, but a little bit small for the bike parks. The enduro is 140rr, DHX 4, 130fr, Float 32.

The problem is, I really didn't want to like the mx. I wanted it to feel like a tank. It actually seemed to fit me pretty well, so now I really have to think about it.

Thanks for any thoughts.
    Last edited by Uncle Six Pack; 10-13-2007 at 07:36 PM.
    You better just go ahead and drop that seatpost down to the reflector... the trail gets pretty rough down there.

Like catnip for people
    The weight gain is pretty marginal isn't it? I'd love to go MX over regular prophet frame... All you're gaining is the weight of a few gussets and the thru 12 rear... This is only a guess but wouldn't it be less than 1 - 2 pounds weight difference.

To me I view the MX is Specializeds equivalent of the SX Trail...

If you love the bike, why hesitate..

trail addict
    Quote Originally Posted by ar1981
    The weight gain is pretty marginal isn't it? I'd love to go MX over regular prophet frame... All you're gaining is the weight of a few gussets and the thru 12 rear... This is only a guess but wouldn't it be less than 1 - 2 pounds weight difference.

To me I view the MX is Specializeds equivalent of the SX Trail...

If you love the bike, why hesitate..
    It is like 5 lbs difference (30 vs 35 according to the website)-gussets, heavier fork, thu axle, burlier stem, bottom bracket, etc.

And yes, it is similar in build to the sx trail, but that is honestly a little bit more bike than I need. I don't want a bike to go freeriding on every weekend. I want a trailbike that can go to a bike park a few times per year.

And yes, I loved the test ride, but that was mostly on pavement and the bike felt a little sluggish there, pedalling uphill on trails is where I'm really worried. The other problem is that I haven't tet ridden the lighter version yet.
    You better just go ahead and drop that seatpost down to the reflector... the trail gets pretty rough down there.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    I think that ar1981 meant the difference in weight between a regular frame and an mx-frame.

I have used my regular Prophet in i bike park, and the front end (Lefty max) comes up a bit short on travel when it is steep and fast. The rear copes well. I don't jump anything bigger than 2-3 feet.

So, I think that a Prophet with two different forks, one for singletrack and one for freeride would be a good allrounder. Lefty/Pike/Fox 32 for singletrack and Fox 36/Lyrik/ Marz 66 for freeride. But, to achieve this, you will need the mx-frame, as the regular doesn't support forks higher than 140 mm travel.

If you want the low weight of the regular, buy a lightweight wheelset and a lightweight fork for the mx, and swap when needed.

Good luck!