Thread: Prophet MX-2

mtbr member
    Mar 2007

New question here. Prophet MX-2

Anyone have seat time on one. I parking lot tested one yesterday, but the frame was a size too big and there wasn't really much space. Just looking for some pro's and con's.
    Thanx.

LA CHÈVRE
    One man's pro can be another's con... What are you looking for?

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Oh my bad, I'm 5'7", 165lbs. Will be riding lots of trails, some XC, 4 - 6ft drops. I come from BMX so I will be jumping a bit too. I'm trying to decide between this and Iron Horse 6point4. I have access to the Gary Fisher Line and the Trek line too, but don't know much about those companies.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Hi!

The MX is a good bike for me.I love to ride trails and small downhills with this bike. Drops are no problem. My MX weighs 35 lbs so climbing especially on technical stuff makes me dreaming of a lighter bike.I use XT cranks because i also ride XC.
    My dealer called cannondale europe for the correct size because i stood between M and L.

best regards

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Got my FXR shipped off last week and my Prophet MX finished this morning. Gotta say I was a bit nervous going with the Cannondale and was already thinking about other frames to replace it in case I didn't like it. Turns out that was something I didn't need to worry about.

First off, when building it, I couldn't believe the quality of the frame. The welds are beautiful, the cable routing is among the cleanest I've seen, and the bike just looks fast as hell. And it is. Oh yes, it is. I am one happy mountain bicyclist. :FIREdevil

Cool cable routing through the swingarm.

The 12mm thru-axle is beefy and really helps the ride quality. But it's also the biggest drawback - the thing is a giant pain in the ass to remove. And yes I'm going to move the brakeline so it's not as big of a bend in the line.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I was also really pleased to see a few changes from the build kit listed on Cannondale's site. It has a bigger brake rotor up front instead of both being @ 6" (one 7", one 6"). It also came with Mavic 325 rims instead of the Sun Singletracks spec'd. Yeah they're lower-end, but I like Mavic.

This is also an all-SRAM bike, something I was a bit nervous about on the suspension. Everything good I've heard about the Pike is true - the thing is a sweet fork. I was super impressed. The U-Turn is easy to use and cool, love having full travel even when it's compressed (as opposed to ETA where it's just 30mm of harsh travel when it's compressed). And I was really impressed with the Pearl shock, surprisingly. It's a big air can, and looks much beefier in person than in photos. It completely locks out with the Floodgate adjuster, which was sweet since we did a Pipeline loop and the full lockout was perfect for the 6.5 mile road climb. On the trail, the travel was firm but took the hits great when you needed it to.

Downhill, the bike just comes alive. Low standover, nice low BB, slack HA, and a nice tight cockpit. It was incredibly easy to just toss it around and literally place it on the trail exactly where you wanted it. It felt totally comfortable on the first ride - always a good sign. The only real negative thing I can say is the SDG saddle hurt my nether regions somethin fierce! But with a little adjustment I think I'll be able to make it work.

It's rare I get a new piece of gear, be it skis, bikes, helmet, outerwear, whatever - that just hits the sweet spot and stokes me out like the Prophet MX did. And that's not just 'new-gear euphoria-this-is-the-best-thing-ever' syndrome.

p.s. the brake lines are now fixed to run straighter, all the little things like that are fixed so don't post about them!

LA CHÈVRE
    Quote Originally Posted by Summit
    the brake lines are now fixed to run straighter, all the little things like that are fixed so don't post about them!
    Nice bike Summit.
    One thing about your brake line, it's normally routed inside the swingarm, between it and the wheel to avoid getting it snatched by a tree or something.

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Gerous
    Nice bike Summit.
    One thing about your brake line, it's normally routed inside the swingarm, between it and the wheel to avoid getting it snatched by a tree or something.
    Thanks DG! Took it on another ride today on some local (fully legal) bike park style trails - basically a mini MX course w/ some killer berms, tables, bridges, and step-ups. This thing just accelerates through everything, and when you actually hit something bigger it instantly becomes much more plush than you'd expect. I'm stoked.

And regarding the brake line, really? I'd be much more concerned about it getting caught up between the tire and swingarm or even grabbing into the spokes. Every single pivot bike I've owned/seen has it routed on the outside (including my Yeti AS-X). I moved the banjo nut so that it's much more streamlined against the swingarm than it shows in the photos, so I'm not worried about snagging on trail obstacles.

Oh and Talontd, re: your original question, you can't really go wrong between the 6point and the MX2. If I had a hookup on a 6point I would probably have gone that route due to all the great things I've heard about the DW-Link. But I've ridden single pivots for years and I know how to ride them well, so I've got no complaints.