mtbr member
    May 2007

Prophet with Marzochi forks

Hey guys...
    Just got the Prophet 6 with the Marzochi AM3 forks and need some advice. Does this fork make the front end feel loose on the small bumps (washed out fires roads or riding on 3-5" rocks). I have not had much experience on different forks... I was previously riding a Specialized FSR XC pro with a Rock Shox Recon and I have test drove a Blur with Fox 100mm white forks and neither have this feeling. I have taken to my LBS where I bought it several times but they think I am crazy. Is it the longer travel that I am not used to? I hate the feeling it gives. It feels similar to riding a bike where the front wheel skewer has worked its way loose after hard riding.
    Next question...
    How low can you safely run tires (with tubes) ? I have been running really low pressure in the front to try and offset the loose feeling I am getting. I am using the IRC trailbears that came on the bike but thinking about switching to the Panaracer Fire XCs or the Fire DH which is a 2.3. Can you guys guve me some tires that have worked well on your prophets? I have also read good things about the IRC Kujo and the Continental Vertical Pro. I am trying to get a lightweight tire that will be a good all around tire for riding very aggressive XC and getting the occasional 2-4 foot air. I live in north Georgia.
    And last...
    Is there a big difference between the radium rear shock and the swinger 3 way? Is it worth upgrading to?
    Thanks in advance for you tips and advice.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Sounds like the compression damping is to high causing the loose feeling. I like to run my bikes with minimal compression and rebound damping.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I do not mean to sound stupid, but how do I do this on a shock/fork that has no adjustment controls?

mtbr member
    You can adjust rebound on the AM3 - turn the adjuster on the right leg (see manual for more details). Not sure if this'll help you're problem though.

I have the opposite issue on my Prophet 6 - I want a fork that can take more pounding. The AM3 seems pretty unresponsive to me.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by shutterbug67
    I do not mean to sound stupid, but how do I do this on a shock/fork that has no adjustment controls?
    You probably need to take it to a bike shop that take it apart and tune it. Most likely lighter oil or oil height.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin G
    You can adjust rebound on the AM3 - turn the adjuster on the right leg (see manual for more details). Not sure if this'll help you're problem though.

I have the opposite issue on my Prophet 6 - I want a fork that can take more pounding. The AM3 seems pretty unresponsive to me.
    Sounds like you got the same problem. Your fork is unresponsive because the compression is too high.

The OP's fork feels loose on washed out small bumps becauses his for skipping through the small bumps. Again compression to high.

mtbr member
    Thanks - so an LBS could reduce the compression? Or can I do it?

Quote Originally Posted by racerzero
    Sounds like you got the same problem. Your fork is unresponsive because the compression is too high.

The OP's fork feels loose on washed out small bumps becauses his for skipping through the small bumps. Again compression to high.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    My LBS let me borrow a shock pump to do some experimenting. still not having much luck... I begining to think it is just a POS fork. I rode my specialized fsr XC pro with the ROck Shox Recon and it felt wonderful. What are you guys going to replace your AM3s with? Is the Talas RLC or the Vanilla RLC the only lightweight options? What are you guys thinking?? I am wanting to start shaving some weight off of this bike. I went from riding a 29# specialized to a 33.5# prophet. Let me here your guys opinions.

mtbr member
    Very good question. I want to go more burly as I'm building my Prophet to be more of a FR bike.

What are you guys going to replace your AM3s with?

mtbr member
    May 2007

Suggestions for replacement forks...

You guys have any suggestions for replacement forks for the prophet? I would like to find one that is plush feeling and also lightweight. I am not sure what the weight of the AM3 is? Is Fox the only one in the game?

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Why wouldn't you want a lefty?
    Last edited by Baker921; 07-05-2007 at 05:47 AM. Reason: correction

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I am sorry, but the leftys just do not appeal to me. I am sure they are great, just do not want to go down the proprietary road...

mtbr member

Am3

I am sorry, but the leftys just do not appeal to me. I am sure they are great, just do not want to go down the proprietary road...
    my 2 friends have the same Prophet and fork. Both NEVER take the time to adjust anything.
    So....I looked at it, and determined if you want to FEEL anything with that fork, you need to run extremely LOW levels of air in each leg.

If I remember correctly, we used like 10psi. You were able to feel the fork working.

Anything higher and its horribly stiff.

more commemts....if your rebound is too fast, it will make your front end feel as if its washing out. Try slowing it down a notch or two.

Yes, Fox forks will be lighter than the AM3...but what kind of budget do you have??
    Perhaps a PIKE would suit you better? I've always wanted one on my Prophet.

Check out the AM 1. They are on closeout everywhere. Much nicer than the AM3.

good luck.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by freeriderB
    my 2 friends have the same Prophet and fork. Both NEVER take the time to adjust anything.
    So....I looked at it, and determined if you want to FEEL anything with that fork, you need to run extremely LOW levels of air in each leg.

If I remember correctly, we used like 10psi. You were able to feel the fork working.

Anything higher and its horribly stiff.

more commemts....if your rebound is too fast, it will make your front end feel as if its washing out. Try slowing it down a notch or two.

Yes, Fox forks will be lighter than the AM3...but what kind of budget do you have??
    Perhaps a PIKE would suit you better? I've always wanted one on my Prophet.

Check out the AM 1. They are on closeout everywhere. Much nicer than the AM3.

good luck.

The more I ride this fork , the more I hate it! I would maybe try the AM 1 but if this is any indication how Marzocchis ride, I do not want one. I was very interested in the FOX shocks but everyone in the LBS says they require quite a bit of maintenance

Are there any more choices out there for replacement forks??

I thought about doing the 130mm ROCK SHOX Recon but would that be unadviseable taking the travel down 10mm?

Ridin' dirty!
    I had a manitou sherman flick with 130mm of travel on my '05 prophet frame and it was like butter.
    Honestly, if I compare to my lefty max carbon, I don't feel a big difference in how they eat the bumps!
    You can pick up a sherman on ebay or if you want to go lighter try a manitou nixon with 145mm.
    I could never feel my sherman bottom out, and the suspension just felt like I had actually more than "just" 130mm of travel.
    One of my buddies recently purchased a nixon on ebay, and he's very happy with it.
    "Common sense isn't always that common!"
    Custom Prophet and Custom Delta V

mtbr member
    Looking at the other Prophet builds (including MX) I think these are possibilities:

Fox Talas
    Pike 409
    Fox 36 Float

Thoughts anyone? I imagine Marzocchi may have a new offering with their '08 models out, or will be cutting deals on '07 forks very soon (like the AM1 stated above).

Personally, I'm interested in maxing out the travel since I'm building a more DH-capable Prophet. So weight for me ain't really an issue.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I just wanted to say thanks for everyones reponses and inputs...

The more I read about Marzocchis, it sounds like a lot of the models have that loose, clunkity feeling on the small bumps.

From what I am gathering there just is not a lot of options in the 140mm, lightweight arena...

The FOX disadvantage is they require yearly maintenance (don't get me wrong, I just would like a fork that I can forget about, I can understand if it needs maintenance in 3 years or so) I am not experienced enough to know if the Vanilla or the Talas would have a better feel for me. Coil vs. Air and adjustability. Both are very lightweight for the travel.

There are a lot of shocks out there around the 4 lb. range that go up to 130mm travel (Rock Shox and Manitou), but do not know if that 10mm will screw up the Prophets geometry.

I really want to get my Prophet down in weight, so the 5 lb. forks are out of the question and I do not want to do the 20mm axel thing either.

mtbr member
    Anyone ever try a RockShox Domain on the Prophet? I'm leaning towards that now. Got a great review in last month's Decline. 6.5 lbs but on-the-fly adjustable travel up to 160mm. And inexpensive too (almost half the price of a Lyrik).

mtbr member
    I also have a Prophet with a Marzocchi AM3 and am looking at replacing it. It's an ok fork but like others have said it doesn't have that much feel. I only weigh 140lbs so I put >5 psi in the shock or else it's too stiff and sometimes the coils alone are enough. The Fox float and vanilla run about $500 where I've seen them but I was also considering a lefty. Does anyone know what I'd be looking at to get a new lefty (probably FFD or TPC) but I'd also need a new headset, stem, and hub. I was thinking this might be an option if it was only around $200 more but if it was any more than that I'd have to think about it.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    ok, first of all, an am and an all mountain is not the same fork. the ams are cheaper oem, manufacturer only model. (sorry, somewhat hung over here so can't remember if oem is the right term) as other marzocchis they prob tend to do need some breaking in to make em feel nice, aka super plush. says that the 6 models are supposed to have am4s which isn't the most expensive and thus best of forks. it's not very tunable either as you've mentioned. the compression though can be adjusted internally, though i have no idea how you do that. it is somewhat heavy too. a all mountain fork of the top of the line, meaning 1 or 2, would prob ride a lot better than the am4 and be a bit lighter as well. it is bound the be more tuneable too.

if you were to get a new set up a fox 32 van/talas/float rlc would do the job nicely, but i would perhaps wait for marzocchis new line, the 55 which is taking over for the all mountain series. they look really nice i think. a 36 might be overkill on a regular prophet, meaning without the extra gusset in the headtube i'm not sure if it could handle that ac height and the forces involved. check with cannondale if it can handle a full blown 160mm up front. that being said, the marz are usually longer ac wise than fox and a lefty being double crowned prob put a lot of stress on a headtube too. if you decide to run a all mountain fork i would perhaps recommend the all mountain 2. it has eta and some other nice features and it's cheaper than the 1/1sl, but is perhaps not as sensitve to the small stuff like a fox (or so i've been tol by a guy who had this fork on his bike).

to get a lefty would prob be the more expensive way to go as you also need a front wheel, though you might get a trade in or discount since you already have a prophet. dunno. they're a lot more easy going with those trade in or upgrading programs here in norway it seems like. the hub i know you can get a chainreactioncycles, but as for the fork you prob have to order it directly from cannondale (and they can prob set you up with the hub and everythin else too)

i used to have a 05 marzocchi all mountain 1 sl on my commencal and didn't like it too much. it is a good fork, but it was less than perfect on the small stuff and had way to much dive in it for my taste. that being said i never really gave it time to settle in or wear in, which you need to do on the marzocchis. i've actually had two and sold both and both the people who bought em have been super happy with em. i would not recommend the 07 sl though as it seems like it has some bugs in its design. remeber that if you have the 9mm qr version of the am4 you also need a new wheel or hub if you choose to run a 36 or similar 20mm compatible fork.

hope this was somewhat helpful. good luck on the further search for fork perfection. a properly set up and broken in am4 is prob a pretty ok fork in its own right, though prob in a different league than the other forks i've spoken about.