mtbr member

Prophet loose shock bushings

So over the past few months my prophet has developed a loose rear end.. it is of course the lower shock bushings.. so i ordered a replacement set which duely came.

The kit consists of bushings for either side of the shock and also this circular bit of ceramic looking material to fit inside the eye of the shock.

Does anyone know how to fit the circular thing? The one which is already in there is super tight and I cant see any way of removing it easily. Any thoughts appreciated.

Thanks

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Use CAREFULLY selected sockets and a vice to push the old insert out of the shock. Need one socket with its outside diameter a wee bit less than the inside diameter of the shock eye (use to push the insert through), but it must also be big enough so it doesn't slip inside the insert.

Need another socket with a big enough inside diameter to receive the insert as it is pushed through but is still small enough seat on the shock around the eye. Put them on opposite sides of the shock and stuff in a vice or clamp, line everything up nicely, and crank.

Use the vice to set the new insert but push it in first with a heavy flat washer or nut (and another on the far side to prevent the vice from scratching the shock).You may need to finish it off with the same small socket to fully seat the insert.

mtbr member
    I just changed the bushings on my prophet using a fitting tool from TF Tuned not cheap at 20 but it made the job very easy and quick.

mtbr member
    Ok cheers.. I'm going to give it a bash with the socket set and the vice and see how that works.. if not then I will have a loot at that tool from Tim Flooks

I report back and let everyone know how I got on

mtbr member
    Ok so i used a hefty vice and a socket set as suggested by snortz6. Works a treat. have to be very careful with this approach however as those shocks scratch up easily and the amount of force needed to put through the vice, to get the thing to budge, is significant.

The good news is that with the new insert in there is no hint of any play. Awesome

Thanks all for your help