mtbr member

Prophet lefty max loose headset

Had the bike over a year now and finally the headset has come loose.. pretty good going I think. Its defiantly the headset and not the lefty.

Anyway.. how on earth do you tighten the thing up? Thought I would ask before disassembling everything. I cant see any obvious ways to do it?

Cheers in advance

LA CHÈVRE
    It's press fit, not adjustable, Once it's loose, rough, gritty, you install a new one.... but only one year? These are very durable, usually lasting a few years easily.

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

mtbr member
    18 months really.. its been ridden a lot

So is that new bearings or a whole new headset?
    Can I do the work myself?

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    You should need new bearings only, removing the Lefty is easy. Download the manual for your specific fork from Cannondale website and it should have instructions on how to remove it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jiar577
    You should need new bearings only, removing the Lefty is easy. Download the manual for your specific fork from Cannondale website and it should have instructions on how to remove it.
    Ok great.. yea im confident about getting the lefty off... Is it tricky to get the old bearings out and the new ones in?

mtbr member
    Ah so.. Ive gotten his far.. no top crown.. no stem.. I have loosened the leg and slid it out as well but its bolted it back in for the pics....now i was expecting the steerer tube to just drop out but it is not budging.. any ideas on next steps to removing it and getting at those bearings?

Ridin' dirty!
    You have to tap the top of the steerer tube with a rubber mallet.
    The bottom bearing will come out of it's cup and will stay on the steerer tube, and the fork will come out.
    (Make sure you hold the fork with 1 hand as you're doing so to keep it from falling)
    The top bearing will stay in place.
    Use a piece of wood (I always a piece of a bird cage perch) and tap around on the upper bearing from the inside.
    Sometimes it pops right out by hand though.
    Same for the bearing that remains on the steerer tube: Slowly tap around it to bring it up.
    DON'T KEEP HITTING IT FROM ONE SIDE! MAKE SURE YOU TAP ONCE @ 12'clock, 6'clock, 9'clock & 3'clock positions. First it might feel like it's not moving at all, but do it a couple of times in the above mentioned order and you'll be fine.
    "Common sense isn't always that common!"
    Custom Prophet and Custom "Leftified" Delta V

mtbr member
    Makes sense.. that steerer tube is stuck fast however.. given it a few good tonks with the mallet but nothing. did yours come out easily?

Ridin' dirty!
    Quote Originally Posted by Karve
    Makes sense.. that steerer tube is stuck fast however.. given it a few good tonks with the mallet but nothing. did yours come out easily?
    Juup. It could be that there's a little bit corrosion on the matting surfaces of the bearings.
    Just keep hitting it and it'll work.Try to soak it with liquid wrench or WD40 for a bit also and I bet it'll budge. Just make sure that you don't hit it too hard and maybe bent the steering tube.
    If you install the new bearings apply a tiny bit of grease and they'll slide easier in place.
    Also that will make it easier for you to take 'em out later when you need to replace them again.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cdalemaniac
    Juup. It could be that there's a little bit corrosion on the matting surfaces of the bearings.
    Just keep hitting it and it'll work.Try to soak it with liquid wrench or WD40 for a bit also and I bet it'll budge. Just make sure that you don't hit it too hard and maybe bent the steering tube.
    If you install the new bearings apply a tiny bit of grease and they'll slide easier in place.
    Also that will make it easier for you to take 'em out later when you need to replace them again.

Indeed.. I did have to give them a good few hits to get the steerer out. It did help that I gave it a WD40 soak overnight to loosen it all up. No problems it came in the end Thanks for the rest of the tips.. got the jobs done in the end... its pretty easy when you know how eh

cheers cdalemaniac

Ridin' dirty!