mtbr member

Prophet Headset?

Anyone replace a headset on a Prophet? If so, what sizes did you consider and what makes/models?

I'm re-arranging my cockpit with 2" riser bars and shorter stem; just considering my headset options too...

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Based on your other post I'm assuming this is for your Marzocchi equipped Prophet.

I'd recommend the FSA Extreme Orbit Pro for the 1.5 headtube. This headset can run both the 1.5 stem or the 1 1/18 stem by changing some fittings. The headset does not come for both fittings so you have order them separately.

If you're lucky the bike may have come with this headset.

mtbr member
    Thanks.

Yes - got the AM3 currently, but will be replaced.

The official specs say this model Prophet comes with an FSA headset, but mine came with a Cane Creek. Am assuming it's a fairly cheap one in light of how this bike is speced out. Do you know if this one will fit?

mtbr member
    May 2007

stem question...

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin G
    Anyone replace a headset on a Prophet? If so, what sizes did you consider and what makes/models?

I'm re-arranging my cockpit with 2" riser bars and shorter stem; just considering my headset options too...

I was wondering what a shorter stem would do? I was going to order a Thomson Elite 4x and they have almost every length imaginable. Do you know what happens when u shorten the stem? Pros/Cons?

mtbr member
    That's what I'm doing on mine; getting this stem put on to bring my cockpit back - along with some riser bars. Depends if you want to be a climber (longer stem - head over bars) or your weight back for more DH/FR purpose. The stock stem for me made my Prophet more mountain goat worthy than cougar worthy...

Quote Originally Posted by shutterbug67
    I was wondering what a shorter stem would do? I was going to order a Thomson Elite 4x and they have almost every length imaginable. Do you know what happens when u shorten the stem? Pros/Cons?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin G
    Thanks.

Yes - got the AM3 currently, but will be replaced.

The official specs say this model Prophet comes with an FSA headset, but mine came with a Cane Creek. Am assuming it's a fairly cheap one in light of how this bike is speced out. Do you know if this one will fit?
    No. Just use the original if you're going to stay with the 1 1/8 stem.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by shutterbug67

http://www.leelikesbikes.com/stem-le...rail-bike.html