mtbr member

New question here. Prophet front end play coming from headtube

After much investigating, it seems that my Lefty fork is not the cause of my front end play.

I removed the stem, and it seems that there is a TINY gap where the headset cup "sits" in the headtube.

Steering is smooth as my headset bearing is < 1 yr old.

What does my LBS need to do to fix this?
    Is something that was pressed in "shift?"

Please help me out here...

Ridin' dirty!
    If nothing is warped all they need to do is seat it correctly with a cannondale bearing seating tool. The best way to do it though would be to remove the cup from the frame first, clean it, press it back in place and use the above mentioned bearing seating tool before bolting the stem back on. It should not take longer than 15 minutes or so. Also they should remove any paint on the head tube that might cause the headset cup not to seat flush against it. There's a special tool for that as well.
    "Common sense isn't always that common!"
    Custom Prophet and Custom "Leftified" Delta V

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    If you are careful the bearings and bearing cups can easily be removed and replaced using a rubber mallet and a wood dowel. Just slowly tap the bearing cups out using the dowel evenly around the circumference. To replace the cups just carefully set them in using the mallet.

mtbr member

New question here. bearings...

Quote Originally Posted by vitaccop
    If you are careful the bearings and bearing cups can easily be removed and replaced using a rubber mallet and a wood dowel. Just slowly tap the bearing cups out using the dowel evenly around the circumference. To replace the cups just carefully set them in using the mallet.

bearings are nearly new, so I think they are fine.
    The bars spin smoothly with no resistance.

Is it possible that the cups are not seated correctly but the berings are???

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    If everything is flush then they are properly seated. The bearing cups should sit even in the headtube- just take a look and make sure they aren't slightly off. If they are just remove the Lefty and carefully tap them in with the rubber mallet- you shouldn't even have to remove the bearings. Another thing to check is when you re-install the Lefty make sure the bottom bearing is completely in the cup before putting the stem back on. The top of the stem should be flush with the top of the steerer tube. When I reinstall a Lefty I sometimes give the bottom of the steerer tube small taps with the good old rubber mallet to make sure it's fully seated. I guess a rubber mallet is really a great Lefty tool. Maybe I should sell them on eBay as a "custom Lefty multi-installation tool". Finally, is the bottom bearing where it should be at the very bottom of the steerer tube? How about the little thin washer that goes between the bottom clamp and the bearing?

He who follows his heart.
    Quote Originally Posted by vitaccop
    After applying the above technique for a couple of years on old frames, when I decided to change the headset on a newer (read more expensive!) frame, I just made myself one of these from a length of hollow pipe suited to the Cannondale headtube.

Easy!