Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

prophet frame fail - what now?

6K views 30 replies 15 participants last post by  wyatt79m 
#1 ·
while riding trails today my 2006 Prophet frame gave out and failed.
The rear drop out on the brake side cracked right off at the weld when I rolled down a rock.
I walked out of the trails ~ 2 miles and went to my LBS (C-dale dealer). The owner took my info and will get back to me.

Does C-dale have prophet frames set aside for warranty? Or at least swingarms?

I also had my Gemini fail a few years ago. My LBS stepped right up and contacted the C-dale rep who sent a new swing arm in a couple of days.

I just dumped a bunch of money into my Prophet...now this. REALLY SUCKS!

No actual pics since I went right to the dealer. This is an OLD pic of my bike...the yellow line represents where the weld failed. It's completely sheared off...not just a hairline crack.

Attachments

See less See more
#6 ·
Or maybe see if they can set you up with a new Jeckyll - doesn't hurt to ask.
A while back someone said Cannondale was keeping some extra swing arms around for warranty replacements - but that was a while back, I'm guessing they're all gone.

But I bet Wyatt is right and you get a RZ

#8 ·
I would hope the life time warranty (or whatever they call it) would be more than 5 years!
They used to work that way, but I've heard they are not as generous now.

#10 ·
Lifetime warranty means it's warrantied for life for the original owner. It doesn't cover abuse or wear and tear but that doesn't look like it's the case so it should be replaced with a new swingarm if they have some left but it will probably be a RZ frame...

You may ask for a Jekyll but I doubt it would be without an upgrade charge. The Prophet is very simple and low-tech (I mean that in a good way) while the Jekyll is one of the most technologically advanced mountain bike frame on the market and probably costs the price of a few Prophets to manufacture... They are not equivalent frames.

#11 ·
warranty

I'm the original owner and I have been purchasing my bikes from the same c-dale LBS since the mid 90's.
frame has not been abused at all.

anyone know how the RZ and Prophet compare in terms of travel and most importantly head tube angle?
I always ride in the 67.5* setting...I don't like steeper.

#12 ·
"You may ask for a Jekyll but I doubt it would be without an upgrade charge."

Yep - but it can be a good time/excuse to upgrade. A friend of mine broke his Delta V frame, and used that as an excuse to upgrade to a Super V. He had to shell out a little $ of course but it was worth it.
(ummm, yeah, that was a few years back - lol)

#13 ·
Is the swing arm the only place that people have seen the failures on the Prophets? I have an 05 and will be inspecting the dropouts. I just did a rebuild on the LM140 and inspected the head and pivot welds but did not check the droput welds. I have done a lot of jumping (almost always try to land on a good transition to eliminate undue stresses) and weigh 230 lbs so I inspect the places I have broken Cannondales in the past. As for warranty, I had a Jekyll that was replaced under warranty due to some welds that did not test out very well. The very first ride on the replacement bike, as I was riding to a local trail, I was hit by a ditzy lady turning left as I was jra. She pasted me doing 25 mph. My helmet saved my head. The bike was a loss. Some people that saw the accident thought I was killed instantly. It was not my time...

#16 ·
Sorry to hear about your frame fail. I have a Prophet, same year and color by the way, and my wife has a Rush. The swing arms appear at casual observation to be the same. If this is true, perhaps that would be a solution path for you.

#27 ·
real bummer, but glad you found it before it broke on the trail...i picked up a 2nd prophet frame over the winter, looks in mint shape...glad i did, i've been riding these so many years i cant imagine buying some other bike...but of course the clock is ticking on any bike you buy ...anyway, i feel your pain if you've got a couple shelves full of prophet specific stuff, that you might have to now unload

#28 · (Edited)
Its not my thread but have similar (hopely not:)) problem.

I'm also owner of Prophet and couple months ago found on the swingarm very close to crankset some scratches. Cant upload link or pics because of is my first post :) so I have put link to image with it in my signature :) .

I tried to painted that but another scratch found yesterday and not sure if I should worry about that? Do you think the swingarm is broken or these are just scratches?

Cheers

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.