Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 31
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: freeriderB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,560

    New question here. prophet frame fail - what now?

    while riding trails today my 2006 Prophet frame gave out and failed.
    The rear drop out on the brake side cracked right off at the weld when I rolled down a rock.
    I walked out of the trails ~ 2 miles and went to my LBS (C-dale dealer). The owner took my info and will get back to me.

    Does C-dale have prophet frames set aside for warranty? Or at least swingarms?

    I also had my Gemini fail a few years ago. My LBS stepped right up and contacted the C-dale rep who sent a new swing arm in a couple of days.

    I just dumped a bunch of money into my Prophet...now this. REALLY SUCKS!

    No actual pics since I went right to the dealer. This is an OLD pic of my bike...the yellow line represents where the weld failed. It's completely sheared off...not just a hairline crack.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails prophet frame fail - what now?-crack_prophet.jpg  


  2. #2
    mnt bike laws of physics
    Reputation: yogiprophet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    2,211
    I don't know for sure, but i doubt they have any swingarms around.
    Maybe the Prophet isn't a freeride bike. The frame is pretty light for that kind of abuse and will eventually fail over time.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: freeriderB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,560

    freeride

    Quote Originally Posted by yogiprophet View Post
    I don't know for sure, but i doubt they have any swingarms around.
    Maybe the Prophet isn't a freeride bike. The frame is pretty light for that kind of abuse and will eventually fail over time.

    I know it's not a freeride bike...I don't abuse it. It's my AM/trail bike.
    I've been riding the same trail since I bought it in 2006.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    180
    Keep us posted with what C'dale does for you. I'm curious to see what they replace the Prophet with.

  5. #5
    ride more
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    2,671
    my buddy just got his Prophet replaced with an RZ frame

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jdr01930's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    779
    Or maybe see if they can set you up with a new Jeckyll - doesn't hurt to ask.
    A while back someone said Cannondale was keeping some extra swing arms around for warranty replacements - but that was a while back, I'm guessing they're all gone.

    But I bet Wyatt is right and you get a RZ
    '05 Prophet 1000
    '09 F3
    '93 Delta V 700
    '08 F6 Lefty (son's)
    '08 F6 (daughter's)

  7. #7
    Can't stop the Prophet
    Reputation: brows141's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    240
    Was that shock stock on your prophet?

    Jdr01930 - his Prophet is a 2006 I doubt that it is still covered under warranty.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jdr01930's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    779
    I would hope the life time warranty (or whatever they call it) would be more than 5 years!
    They used to work that way, but I've heard they are not as generous now.
    '05 Prophet 1000
    '09 F3
    '93 Delta V 700
    '08 F6 Lefty (son's)
    '08 F6 (daughter's)

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: freeriderB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,560

    shock

    Quote Originally Posted by brows141 View Post
    Was that shock stock on your prophet?

    Jdr01930 - his Prophet is a 2006 I doubt that it is still covered under warranty.
    no...I tried the coil a couple of years ago.
    Radium was stock, I'm running it still.

  10. #10
    LA CHÈVRE
    Reputation: Dan Gerous's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    9,382
    Lifetime warranty means it's warrantied for life for the original owner. It doesn't cover abuse or wear and tear but that doesn't look like it's the case so it should be replaced with a new swingarm if they have some left but it will probably be a RZ frame...

    You may ask for a Jekyll but I doubt it would be without an upgrade charge. The Prophet is very simple and low-tech (I mean that in a good way) while the Jekyll is one of the most technologically advanced mountain bike frame on the market and probably costs the price of a few Prophets to manufacture... They are not equivalent frames.

    DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation: freeriderB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,560

    warranty

    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Gerous View Post
    Lifetime warranty means it's warrantied for life for the original owner. It doesn't cover abuse or wear and tear but that doesn't look like it's the case so it should be replaced with a new swingarm if they have some left but it will probably be a RZ frame...

    You may ask for a Jekyll but I doubt it would be without an upgrade charge. The Prophet is very simple and low-tech (I mean that in a good way) while the Jekyll is one of the most technologically advanced mountain bike frame on the market and probably costs the price of a few Prophets to manufacture... They are not equivalent frames.

    I'm the original owner and I have been purchasing my bikes from the same c-dale LBS since the mid 90's.
    frame has not been abused at all.

    anyone know how the RZ and Prophet compare in terms of travel and most importantly head tube angle?
    I always ride in the 67.5* setting...I don't like steeper.

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jdr01930's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    779
    "You may ask for a Jekyll but I doubt it would be without an upgrade charge."

    Yep - but it can be a good time/excuse to upgrade. A friend of mine broke his Delta V frame, and used that as an excuse to upgrade to a Super V. He had to shell out a little $ of course but it was worth it.
    (ummm, yeah, that was a few years back - lol)
    '05 Prophet 1000
    '09 F3
    '93 Delta V 700
    '08 F6 Lefty (son's)
    '08 F6 (daughter's)

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    27
    Is the swing arm the only place that people have seen the failures on the Prophets? I have an 05 and will be inspecting the dropouts. I just did a rebuild on the LM140 and inspected the head and pivot welds but did not check the droput welds. I have done a lot of jumping (almost always try to land on a good transition to eliminate undue stresses) and weigh 230 lbs so I inspect the places I have broken Cannondales in the past. As for warranty, I had a Jekyll that was replaced under warranty due to some welds that did not test out very well. The very first ride on the replacement bike, as I was riding to a local trail, I was hit by a ditzy lady turning left as I was jra. She pasted me doing 25 mph. My helmet saved my head. The bike was a loss. Some people that saw the accident thought I was killed instantly. It was not my time...

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    27
    Inspected the dropouts on my 05 Prophet. No cracks that I can see. Did the break happen just ahead of the weld or on the arched part on the dropout plate?

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation: freeriderB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,560
    it's at the shop and I didn't take pics...but from what I remember it was right on the weld (I think it's a sanded weld?) it looks smooth.
    it was almost pefectly straight. Looked like a metal paperweight.

  16. #16
    Prophet 27.5 Joy
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    46
    Sorry to hear about your frame fail. I have a Prophet, same year and color by the way, and my wife has a Rush. The swing arms appear at casual observation to be the same. If this is true, perhaps that would be a solution path for you.

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation: freeriderB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,560

    swingarm

    Quote Originally Posted by VERTIGO2 View Post
    Sorry to hear about your frame fail. I have a Prophet, same year and color by the way, and my wife has a Rush. The swing arms appear at casual observation to be the same. If this is true, perhaps that would be a solution path for you.
    I was able to get a new RZ 140...which I'll pick up this week.
    So...hopefully I like it.
    I haven't studied the RUSH up close, but I'm thinking they are different.

    thanks.

  18. #18
    I Have Cookies
    Reputation: ae111black's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    2,651
    Quote Originally Posted by freeriderB View Post
    I was able to get a new RZ 140...which I'll pick up this week.
    So...hopefully I like it.
    I haven't studied the RUSH up close, but I'm thinking they are different.

    thanks.
    I hate to the the bearer of bad news but you are gonna need to shell out some $ to get that RZ going. My friend got his Prophet warranty'ed a few months back and he needed a bunch of parts to make it work. The crank on the RZ is a BB30, the Front deraileur is diffrent and the seat post is a bigger size. Other than that Hope you enjoy it My friend loves ths "new" bike!
    The most important thing is what God thinks about it. He will have the final say.” – Joshua Stinebrink

    ____
    Kimo

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation: amillmtb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    2,422
    Quote Originally Posted by freeriderB View Post
    I haven't studied the RUSH up close, but I'm thinking they are different.
    They are. The Rush does not have the option for the shock to be run in the "XC" or the "FR" setting. See the pic below. The change between the two will change the HTA (69° for the XC and 67.5° for the FR) so the bike could be either a better climber, or a better descender.

    In addition, the chainstays are different lengths, not only the Rush vs. the Prophet, but the Rush aluminum vs. the Rush Carbon vs. the Prophet. Again, See diagrams.
    Attached Images Attached Images      

  20. #20
    Prophet 27.5 Joy
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    46
    Quote Originally Posted by freeriderB View Post
    I was able to get a new RZ 140...which I'll pick up this week.
    So...hopefully I like it.
    I haven't studied the RUSH up close, but I'm thinking they are different.

    thanks.
    Good luck with your new RZ. I had a Rize 4, it was a great bike, but found the rear end to be too flexible for a Clydesdale weight rider. I got tired of the rear brake dragging as the dropouts flexed outward under heavy load (me). I eventually got rid of it, and went back to my Prophet.

    Long live the Prophet!!

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation: freeriderB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,560

    parts

    Quote Originally Posted by ae111black View Post
    I hate to the the bearer of bad news but you are gonna need to shell out some $ to get that RZ going. My friend got his Prophet warranty'ed a few months back and he needed a bunch of parts to make it work. The crank on the RZ is a BB30, the Front deraileur is diffrent and the seat post is a bigger size. Other than that Hope you enjoy it My friend loves ths "new" bike!
    yeah...I'm slowly learning this...and it's ok. Nothing that will break the bank. I have a post and FD lined up.

    I'm still confused on the BB30 though.
    In my RZ thread someone referenced this and provided a link.

    I just looked at my XT BB and the "spacer" only says "Shimano Mountain" on it.

    Is the BB 30 wider than what comes stock with the XT Cranks?
    I mean the bearings thread into the BB cup...how does it work with the BB30?

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation: freeriderB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,560

    flex

    Quote Originally Posted by VERTIGO2 View Post
    Good luck with your new RZ. I had a Rize 4, it was a great bike, but found the rear end to be too flexible for a Clydesdale weight rider. I got tired of the rear brake dragging as the dropouts flexed outward under heavy load (me). I eventually got rid of it, and went back to my Prophet.

    Long live the Prophet!!
    I hear ya...I totally understand where you are coming from.
    I ride some serious tech lines and weigh in at ~195 with pack. I don't want this bike if it can't behave in the trails.
    Hopefully it is not an XC bike in disguise.
    What defines clydesdale in your case?

  23. #23
    Prophet 27.5 Joy
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    46
    Quote Originally Posted by freeriderB View Post
    I hear ya...I totally understand where you are coming from.
    I ride some serious tech lines and weigh in at ~195 with pack. I don't want this bike if it can't behave in the trails.
    Hopefully it is not an XC bike in disguise.
    What defines clydesdale in your case?
    200 lb when I bought the bike. Bike was OK @ 200.

    Fattied up to 230 lbs. Bad news for both the bike and the owner.

    Good news- now 215 and falling.

    Can't say at what point the weight was too much (for the bike).

    Captain obvious says: " Don't be a fatty"!

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation: freeriderB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,560

    weight

    Quote Originally Posted by VERTIGO2 View Post
    200 lb when I bought the bike. Bike was OK @ 200.

    Fattied up to 230 lbs. Bad news for both the bike and the owner.

    Good news- now 215 and falling.

    Can't say at what point the weight was too much (for the bike).

    Captain obvious says: " Don't be a fatty"!

    well it's good to hear you're heading in the right direction...
    keep it up!

    I think I may have access to a used Prophet frame from my LBS if the RZ doesn't work for me.

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation: gemini6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    414
    I was getting my bike ready for the season tonight, and found a crack on the bottom of my steerer tube weld (have to use the ink because I apparently can't post photos)

    Untitled | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

    I love this bike, I could cry when I found this.
    ________________
    Peace on dirt,

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. What might fail BEFORE my frame?
    By Limey Johnson in forum Bike and Frame discussion
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 11-29-2007, 03:30 PM
  2. Prophet / Prophet MX same frame???
    By Tribalman in forum Cannondale
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 07-27-2006, 03:28 PM
  3. Your frame will fail @ 172km/h (that's like 110mph)
    By Zen_Turtle in forum Downhill - Freeride
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 07-01-2006, 11:16 AM
  4. How much for a Prophet MX1 frame?
    By ronny in forum Cannondale
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-25-2006, 07:27 AM
  5. Frame: Prophet Vs Prophet 4X
    By gbull in forum Cannondale
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-12-2006, 12:39 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •