mtbr member
    Jun 2004

Prophet - Falling spring rate ?

Hey guys
    I read somewhere that the new Prophet has a falling spring rate.
    What does this mean ?

LA CHÈVRE
    A rising rate is a when, as the shock compresses, it becomes harder and harder to compress. A falling rate is the opposite, it becomes easier to compress as it works it's way into it's travel. The Prophet looks to have a falling rate but the Swinger Air shock has a rising rate that should make the bike's travel very smooth and usable all the way through it's 5.5" of travel. I found the Swinger Air 3-way to have too much a rising rate on my bike (and my bike has a very centered, neutral shock position) that makes the 5" of travel seems like much less. It think Cannondale has tuned the shock position very well as long as you use a rising rate shock (a lot of air shocks have rising rates)... I got to try the bike before I can certify that.

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Gerous
    A rising rate is a when, as the shock compresses, it becomes harder and harder to compress. A falling rate is the opposite, it becomes easier to compress as it works it's way into it's travel. The Prophet looks to have a falling rate but the Swinger Air shock has a rising rate that should make the bike's travel very smooth and usable all the way through it's 5.5" of travel. I found the Swinger Air 3-way to have too much a rising rate on my bike (and my bike has a very centered, neutral shock position) that makes the 5" of travel seems like much less. It think Cannondale has tuned the shock position very well as long as you use a rising rate shock (a lot of air shocks have rising rates)... I got to try the bike before I can certify that.

How can one tell by looking at a bike, if it has a falling or rising rate ?
    I understand the Gemini has a rising rate.
    Also, on many modern shocks (Swinger 4 way for example) one can control how linear or progressive the shock would be. So is it really a big deal if the Prophet has falling rate ?

Please excuse my english - it's not my native language

LA CHÈVRE
    Quote Originally Posted by angelic fruitcake
    How can one tell by looking at a bike, if it has a falling or rising rate ?
    I understand the Gemini has a rising rate.
    Also, on many modern shocks (Swinger 4 way for example) one can control how linear or progressive the shock would be. So is it really a big deal if the Prophet has falling rate ?

Please excuse my english - it's not my native language
    You analyse the bike with the pivot location, travel path of the different points, shock location/angle... It's just physics really. On the Prophet, the wheel travel has not a constant ratio with the shock compression... I'm no Bob Girvin so I'm not the best person to explain clearly but the shock becomes easier to compress in the end of the wheel travel... Combine that geometry with the rising rate of the Swinger air shock and it should give an almost linear rate in the end. The Prophets (except the 4X version) all come with the Swinger 3-way and not the 4-way. The 3-way lack the rising/progressivness adjustment.

Excuse my engligh too, it's not my native language either.

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :