mtbr member
    Sep 2004

Prophet-corroded shock bolts and frame

The rear shock allen bolts of my Prophet has corroded (rusted all over) and the bad thing is: the corrosion has got into the frame (web like pattern on the clear coated raw aluminum).

Any fix for the frame corrosion? its small, but i hate looking at the spiderweb pattern the corrosion has into the clearcoat.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I have had serious problems with my prophet's paint and have come to the conclusion that it is caused by sweat. I have the flat Brown paint therfore I cannot wax it and I didn't rinse the frame enough. The shock and stem bolts are rusty and the paint on the frame is bubbling.

Other than waxing and rinsing the frame regularly to prevent further corrosion; there is not much you can do to "fix" the corrosion on the frame (that I know of). Try some lube like tri-flow on the bolts this helps slow down the rust.

LA CHÈVRE
    Bubbling paint from your sweat? What are you drinking on your rides? DOT fluid? Bolts yes, but paint shouldn't be affected by sweat too much.

As for the shock mounting hardware, they often don't have enough grease, mine were dry and started corroding the first time I switched from XC to FR, just apply a decent amount of grease on there to prevent it next time.

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

Like catnip for people
    Quote Originally Posted by bruno787
    The rear shock allen bolts of my Prophet has corroded (rusted all over) and the bad thing is: the corrosion has got into the frame (web like pattern on the clear coated raw aluminum).

Any fix for the frame corrosion? its small, but i hate looking at the spiderweb pattern the corrosion has into the clearcoat.
    It must be possible to replace the bolts with something that's not going to rust? I've noticed rust on all my bolts... (But that's because I've occasionally locked the bike up outside and it's rained)

Definitely don't want any spiderweb patterns going into my raw frame...

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    These are good spray-on corrosion-inhibitors:

http://www.boeshield.com/index.htm
    http://www.eurekafluidfilm.com/

Also, the steel bolt will actually drive corrosion of the aluminum by galvanic action and the aluminum corrosion would be most intense right where the two come in contact. Corrosion reduces fatigue life (imaginatively named "corrosion-fatigue"), so you want to stop this. Aluminum bolts probably aren't strong enough, but titanium bolts may work....if you can find them. Ti and Al are similar enough on the galvanic series so as not to have this problem when mated together. The other bolt solution would be to find a steel bolt with a coating trade name "Dacromet". It's excellent for joining steel to aluminum. McMaster Carr sells cap screws with this coating (they call it "Ultra Corrosion-Resistant Coated")...you have to find the size you need. Cadmium plated bolts also works for this (if you can find).

http://www.mcmaster.com/

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by ar1981
    It must be possible to replace the bolts with something that's not going to rust? I've noticed rust on all my bolts... (But that's because I've occasionally locked the bike up outside and it's rained)

Definitely don't want any spiderweb patterns going into my raw frame...

It's called Titanium $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

I have not seen the shock mount bolt listed anywhere, however. They maybe out there, I just have not look too much. If you find some, post a link. Maybe I'll get a bonus someday.
    Lead by my Lefty............... right down the trail, no brakes.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Disregard this post