mtbr member
    Nov 2006

Prophet and Coil shocks in FR position

Been toying with the idea of a new shock for my prophet, the manitou 3 way works but dull as dish water, I've been lent a RP23 and it's great when locked into propedal but all over the place when not (bit of tuning may help).

So I was thinking maybe a Vanilla RC (if I can locate one, or an Van R Propedal at worst) or even a CCDB, then the world has been opened up with suggestions of Avalanches, Elka's& BOS stoy's... but it has been pointed out that none of these may work due to the coil collar clashing with the shock tabs when in the FR position (the only position I use or want to use).

So who runs a Prophet with a coil shock in the FR position (what is it?), and has not had to mod the frame to make it work?

mtbr member
    I've got a Six way coil on mine but I haven't had it long enough to have ridden it seriously enough to need the FR position.

I'll have a look at it over the weekend.

mtbr member
    My swinger 6 way fits if you put in with the reservoir below the shock and too the rear.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Cheers many thanks for checking, at least I have one option to go for then.

No one else?

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    a 2010 fox rp23 boost valve valved to the prophet (rebound and compression tune - 3 of each avaliable from fox, only one combination truly fits the prophet. i ran one that didn't have correct valving and it did not work very well) is prob the best shock you can get for the prophet and its lr curve - though if you can afford either a CCDB or Stoy or even a rc4 they can easily be tuned to the frame. They cost a bit more though. If not a Pushed Van R is prob a pretty affordable way to get a coil that works like charm - if somewhat unadjustable, meaning if you use it for both xc and more am/fr duties a shock with compression tuning avaliable is prob the way to go.

mtbr member
    Ran a Rocco on my Prophet 4x in free-ride position without a problem. Came with it from C'dale.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Something else you may need to keep in mind when upgrading the rear shock is the maximum shock eye-to-eye 7.9 with shock stroke 2.0. Anything different than this and the rear tyre will rub the frame when bottoming out!!

Go for a coil rear shock it will give ur prophet a much better plush in Fr mode
    Let us know what you get and how it goes dude.
    Last edited by zeroprophet; 04-15-2010 at 05:14 AM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Some people are getting away with running a 2.25 stroke shock in the FR position. There's a pic of a DHX Air fully compressed with plenty of room. I have an 8 i-to-i with 2.25 stroke in the FR position and been riding it for a while with no problems.

Speaking of coil shocks, I've been looking at getting something new. The Romic I have sucks for the suspension design. I'm thinking the only thing that will work properly is something like 5th Element or a DHX, because of the progressiveness that can setup.
    -2000 Giant DH Team
    -2003 Balfa BB7
    -2004 Nicolai Nuclean ST
    *DH riding hiatus*
    -2011 Intense M9