mtbr member
    Dec 2006

Prophet cockpit height question

hello

can someone please explain me the pros and cons of a lower respectively higher cockpit.
    I mean what are the the changes in bike character when i remove one ore two spacers between stem and fork.i reduced today from 4 spacers to 2 spacers and felt that the bike was easier to pedal , faster. Also i think it was better to steer.more comfortable when the seatpost was deeper inside the seattube.
    Will the lower cockpit probably make it more difficult to pull the bikes front end on drops??
    And what is with the handling on technical downhills??

Overall there are 6 spacers on the fork and i want to reduceto 1 ore 2 and shorten the steer tube.

Any help appreciatet.

mtbr member
    if im reading your post right your talking about moving your weight forward by placing more of your front body weight on the front tire. that will help you feel faster but also help you endo down hill and under heavy braking. i set my prophet up for XC with about 50/50 weight on my frame. when i look down my face is over my head set. and my legs are up at 155 ish degree ext on the down stroke. when i change to down hill i will drop my set about 3 in and move to FR mode to help keep more of my weight back over the rear tire. i did blow up my old wheelset and had to get a 819 with hope pro to handle the abuse.

karl

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    hi Karl
    thank you for answering.I never thought that a lower cockpit improves also the traction under heavy breaking , so it is one more reason to do the job.
    And you are moving the the seatpost down about 3 inch , ore what do you mean with i will drop my set about 3 in ?
    I also move the seatpost inside on longer downhills.
    I will make a testride on a steeper difficult downhill , to see if only one spacer is enough.
    I hope you will sone get your new wheelset.Which one are you thinking of???

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    ohhh i see 819 with hope pro