mtbr member

Prophet chit-chat....

I love my Prophet, had to tell someone that would understand, I love it even more today after fitting a new XT chainset which is a fair bit lighter than the FSA it replaced and looks much nicer too. She's also been fitted out with a rather pimpy looking Easton CNT bar, looks awesome and she feels much lighter all round.

Forgot to mention newish UST tyres rock, they are Nobby Nic Front, Racing Ralph rear.

I am off out for a long ride tomorrow and can't wait, it's such a great all round bike...

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Agreed
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg 5.jpg (154.3 KB, 476 views)

LA CHÈVRE
    You guys know what I think!

Yesterday at the office, a co-worker received his Prophet, he bought a used bright red 2005 Prophet 600 but with a full LX kit. We assembled it during our lunch hour and we both had big smiles!

Can't wait to get mine dirty again! So far, I have only been on roads this year.

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

mtbr member

Prophet a Great Bike

Karlos, Omega and Dan - you are right on- I am glad you made this thread. I had not given my Prophet the proper attention for a while- I have been riding my Rush and Stumpjumper. Sent my Prophet's Lefty Max to Mendon for a overhaul, switched out my 2.0 Bulldogs for Some 2.35 Ignitors and WOW that Prophet is soooo much fun and a hell of a good bike. I had forgotten how capable the bike is. Uphill or downhill it does not matter. And did I mention they are great looking bikes! I LOVE my Prophet.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Wick; 05-04-2007 at 03:26 PM. Reason: Photo

mtbr member
    Just got back from a good 5 hour blast on the old 05 Prophet 6 myself. Goddamn love that thang. Noisy f***** at times but she's a grand old ride. What I love is that except for a crankset upgrade to XT and a front wheel upgrade due to taco-ing, she's pretty much stock and still holding up after repeated beatings and about 3000km. Even the Radium is the envy of more bling sporting friends as it's virtually maint. free and performs as well as shocks at almost twice the price...

LA CHÈVRE
    Haaaa, finally rode the Prophet this week-end, sure feels good! The bike still performs great although I think the guys at the LBS accidentally put some grease on my front brake while working on the Lefty this winter, I had less power and boy did that thing made some noise on steep technical downhills!

My Prophet getting shy and hiding behind my friend's Scalpel.

Only new thing this season is I'm riding with Hutchinson Barracuda MRC Medium 2.3 UST tires front and rear. Meaty and grippy tires, I think they are heavier than the High Rollers but they roll better, grip as much and hold better when the trail is slanted sideways.

My ride on top of my ride.

mtbr member
    Glad to see you're back on the Prophet Dan
    I had an amazing ride here on Saturday and the Prophet was outstanding and totally suited to the rough, flowing, rocky and wooded single track that I ride regularly. Great day out and my fitness is good too at the moment

I've added some nice new kit too, which you can see here.

I also managed to get some big air, for me anyhow, I'm really pushing it this year and really loving it.

I just wanna go fast...
    Whoo! Just pay-pal-ed off some cash for a '05 prophet 1000, can't wait for it to show up. How do you guys like the lefty fork? I've got a lyric lying around I was thinking of swapping in instead.

mtbr member
    I think you'll be pleasantly surprised by the Lefty to be honest

LA CHÈVRE
    Yeah, that's an easy one: keep the Lefty!

mtbr member
    i'm loving my prophet. been on about 5 decent rides now, and it is amazing.
    i hopped back on my old '97 F900 the other day just for kicks, and i can't believe how uncomfortable it felt after being on the prophet. i don't think i'll ever ride the F900 again...
    trust the tread

'06 Cannondale Prophet 1000
    '07 Bianchi Roger

mtbr member

Coiled front and rear

Hi Coiled my prophet front and rear now with a Manitou 4 way and fox vanilla 140mm ...not every ones cup of Tea but i love it...on another note i have the dreaded swining arm Tick noise ...approached Lesiure lakes Cheltnaham where I bought the Bike and a new Swing arm is on the way excellent service.

I just wanna go fast...
    ? what's the tick noise and why do you need a new swingarm for it?

I've never owned a prophet but have one on the way, so I want to figure out as many of the little quarks as possible before it shows up.

mtbr member
    Check out this thread about the noise

Good Source on Prophet-Rush noise
    and this thread
    prophet noise in pivot point

Unit 91
    Dan, you have the same car/setup as me basically. I have a 02' blue Outback with a Thule Big Mouth (well actually the Thule Sidearm now) and a blue Prophet. Weird.
    Bikes

LA CHÈVRE
    Quote Originally Posted by TheProphet
    Dan, you have the same car/setup as me basically. I have a 02' blue Outback with a Thule Big Mouth (well actually the Thule Sidearm now) and a blue Prophet. Weird.
    Men with good tastes...

Drink...sleep
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Gerous
    Men with good tastes...
    ...drive Italian cars

LA CHÈVRE
    Quote Originally Posted by Boozzz
    Men with good tastes drive Italian cars
    Yeah but I checked and couldn't find any roof rack for my Gallardo...
    It does work well in the canadian winter though!

If I was driving an Italian car, I would have no budget left to have bikes, to put gas into it, and no time left to ride because I would always be repairing it...

Drink...sleep
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Gerous
    Yeah but I checked and couldn't find any roof rack for my Gallardo...

If I was driving an Italian car, I would have no budget left to have bikes, to put gas into it, and no time left to ride because I would always be repairing it...
    Just mount a towbar to the rear of your car to put the rack on. That's what I did on my Maserati Gransport

They do seem to have the breaking down thing under control nowadays.

LWK
    mtbr member
    Jul 2006

Prophet shifting problems?

I have a 2005 Prophet 2000, raw color like in the pictures in this thread. Purchased in Sept 05 so only one really good season of riding so far. I ride mainly cross country, light all mountain and did a solo 24 hours on the bike. The bike is stock, so XT, with dual control and a low-normal rear XTR derailler.

In general, I love the bike. However, I have had no end of grief with the rear shifting. Particularly on the 2nd through 4th largest cogs it will constantly hunt, skip, over & undershift. This occurs when pedalling hard, or easy cruising on the street. More pronounced when downshifting (i.e., to a smaller cog) than upshifting. The drivetrain is properly adjusted, I have an almost new chain, XT cogset, XTR cable and housing kit from trying to fix the problem. I have spent more hours than I care to count cleaning the drivetrain to attempt to minimize the issue. However, it persists. I have had problems pretty much since the bike was brand new. The shop has not been much help, although in fairness, the problem only arises when riding - it will appear to work fine on the shop stand. The havent crashed worth speaking of so I think the derailler/drop out is fine. The front works flawlessly. I can get maybe 3 hrs riding without problems after an adjustment. Is this "normal" for a dual-control, 9 speed, low normal setup on a bike with 5.5" of travel???? I am assuming not since I have not seen any comments to this effect on either this forum or in the ratings for the bike.

Any suggestions???? Thanks in advance for any help or suggestions.

LA CHÈVRE
    I'll suggest two things:

1. Check the rear hub, any looseness, play? The Formula made Wind hub is notorious for it's low quality and very short lifespan.

2. Low-Normal rear derailleurs are more sensible to cable contamination, I quickly had to change my cable on mine when it started to behave like you are describing. If you ride in dusty or muddy condition, use a full length cable housing, it helped a whole lot on my 05 Prophet 2000. in fact, I haven't had to change the cable or housing and never had to adjust the derailleur since I install the full housing back in July 2005! I highly recommand it on most bikes, even more with Dual-Controls and low-Normal derailleurs.

mtbr member
    Should probably start a thread somewhere else but seeing as the subject has arisen can someone explain to me the various types of Derailleur i.e. low normal, yop normal etc ???

Much appreciate it

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by LWK
    I have a 2005 Prophet 2000, raw color like in the pictures in this thread. Purchased in Sept 05 so only one really good season of riding so far. I ride mainly cross country, light all mountain and did a solo 24 hours on the bike. The bike is stock, so XT, with dual control and a low-normal rear XTR derailler.

In general, I love the bike. However, I have had no end of grief with the rear shifting. Particularly on the 2nd through 4th largest cogs it will constantly hunt, skip, over & undershift. This occurs when pedalling hard, or easy cruising on the street. More pronounced when downshifting (i.e., to a smaller cog) than upshifting. The drivetrain is properly adjusted, I have an almost new chain, XT cogset, XTR cable and housing kit from trying to fix the problem. I have spent more hours than I care to count cleaning the drivetrain to attempt to minimize the issue. However, it persists. I have had problems pretty much since the bike was brand new. The shop has not been much help, although in fairness, the problem only arises when riding - it will appear to work fine on the shop stand. The havent crashed worth speaking of so I think the derailler/drop out is fine. The front works flawlessly. I can get maybe 3 hrs riding without problems after an adjustment. Is this "normal" for a dual-control, 9 speed, low normal setup on a bike with 5.5" of travel???? I am assuming not since I have not seen any comments to this effect on either this forum or in the ratings for the bike.

Any suggestions???? Thanks in advance for any help or suggestions.

I would approach this by swapping one at a time every drive train part also check you have the right spacers on the drive side crank for chain line...

The Rear Deraliuer hanger is an easy cheap start point borrow or scrounge parts till you find it ...the hub advice from Dan is good i have had that happen before.

LWK
    mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Thanks for the advice. I will try a full length housing and also check the hanger again (although i think its OK).

How would I check to see if I have the right spacers on the drive side crank? As I mentioned, the bike is completely stock so I have never yet taken apart or replaced the BB/crankset.

I know the hub is a POS but I seem to have been lucky so far as it still seems fine.

Off I go to the bike shop and will post back what the result is. Happy trails!