mtbr member

Prophet Chain Replacement

Itís time for me to grow up and learn how to replace a chain by myself. And the way I understand the measurement process is that I need to loop the new chain over Big Ring/Big Cog (sans derailleur) and add 1 inch of chain (two links Ė one set of innie and one set of outtie).

For a Prophet, do I need to add any extra links for suspension stretch?

I guess, I could lay the new chain along side my old (slightly outta spec) chain and chop from there.

Master of the Face Plant
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by u2metoo

Itís time for me to grow up and learn how to replace a chain by myself. And the way I understand the measurement process is that I need to loop the new chain over Big Ring/Big Cog (sans derailleur) and add 1 inch of chain (two links Ė one set of innie and one set of outtie).

For a Prophet, do I need to add any extra links for suspension stretch?

I guess, I could lay the new chain along side my old (slightly outta spec) chain and chop from there.
    Easiest way is to use your old chain and account for stretch. If that does not work for you the ways you stated above is correct.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Your stretch shouldn't be anywhere close to a link (or half-link), so if you compare them side by side, it should be clear how long to make the new one.

mtbr member
    ...thanks y'all!