Can't stop the Prophet

Prophet car rack survey

Just thought it would be interesting to find out how Prophet owners are transporting their trusty steeds. I myself use a Saris Bones 3 rack with a Thule top-tube (emulator) bar. This works OK but I am not 100% satisfied with this setup. I would much rather have a hitch rack or even a roof rack, but economically this is not going to happen any time soon.

So let's see what everyone else is using.

Ridin' dirty!
    What size is your Prophet?
    "Common sense isn't always that common!"
    Custom Prophet and Custom Delta V

mtbr member
    I used to use a Yakima hitch rack - a Big Horn I think.
    It worked pretty well, but was not perfect with the double triangle frame.
    I eventually got fed up with racks altogether, and bought Nissan Frontier Crew Cab Long Bed pickup. At around $25,000, it was an expensive solution, but damn it works great!
    As it turns out, the pickup truck can be used for hauling other stuff too, not just bikes, which comes in handy from time to time.

My son just picked a few used Yakima Raptors for his car (roof carriers that allow you to keep front tires on). Looks like they will work great with the prophet, but we haven't had a chance to install them yet.
    '05 Prophet 1000
    '09 F3
    '93 Delta V 700
    '08 F6 Lefty (son's)
    '08 F6 (daughter's)

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Mines transported inside my focus estate, 11years old and cover in crap, the back seat stay down all year for the bike... until I need to pick my Gran up @ christmas.
    I don't like rear rack, unless there towbar ones, which is what I'd probably buy next time (as much as I love my estate, it costing too much to run, so something smaller will be next).
    Roof racks are "supposed" to stress fork in a way which they don't take well, have 'heard' stories of the uppers popping out of the lowers due to this...

mtbr member
    I use a sportrack tray style bike rack that goes in the hitch for mine, works perfectly! I used to have a Thule trunk mount rack on my old car. I was able to get the bar between my shock and top tube on the back, and put my downtube in the other holder. I have also gotten it onto a few yakima hich racks the same way. Just takes a bit of adjusting to fit it on there, even with my small frame.

Can't stop the Prophet
    Quote Originally Posted by cdalemaniac View Post
    What size is your Prophet?
    Both my Prophet and my wife's F4 are Medium. As I said I would definitely opt for a hitch rack just not able to economically buy the rack and the hitch mount right now.

I don't care for the Thule top-tube bar that I am using as I don't have much faith in it. I used it on Memorial day for about 40 miles and it was fine, but that dreadful thought is always in the back of my mind. I also don't like how the bikes move back and forth while "secured" in the rack. Only with extra bungee cords do the bikes stay motionless in the rack.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I have used both Yakima and Thule crossbars on my old swing arm style rack (swing daddy) and think the yakima crossbar is beefier and more durable...it lasted several years. I have since moved to a tray-style hitch rack (Hold-up). I also use a yakima raptor rooftop rack. All work well for my large Prophet, but I can't stop singing the praises of the Hold-up (or any tray style) hitch rack.

Ridin' dirty!
    Quote Originally Posted by brows141 View Post
    Both my Prophet and my wife's F4 are Medium. As I said I would definitely opt for a hitch rack just not able to economically buy the rack and the hitch mount right now.

I don't care for the Thule top-tube bar that I am using as I don't have much faith in it. I used it on Memorial day for about 40 miles and it was fine, but that dreadful thought is always in the back of my mind. I also don't like how the bikes move back and forth while "secured" in the rack. Only with extra bungee cords do the bikes stay motionless in the rack.

Yakima King Joe 2 is an excellent carrier....no movement of the bike what so ever...
    "Common sense isn't always that common!"
    Custom Prophet and Custom Delta V

mtbr member
    I'm using a Yakima Little Joe and it fits the frame perfect, best rack/bike combo I've ever seen. On our other car we have a Thule Prologue roof rack (fork mount) with a 20mm adapter (my Prophet has a Pike). It works really well and has less of an impact on the car, but is a lot more work to get the bike on and off, plus the bikes get buggy on long drives.
    All I know is that I don't know nothin'... and that's fine.

Genius
    Back of the Pick-up.
    "I think im gonna go to walmart and look at the mountain bikes and see if i can salvage the rear frame."- Nick_Knipp 3/21/12

I Have Cookies
    I had a Saris Bones (still do but don't use it....) it was pretty hard to get my Prophet on and off I got a Hitch mounted Saris with the twin posts (T Rax) but it works better. I like my bike up high.
    The most important thing is what God thinks about it. He will have the final say. Joshua Stinebrink

____
    Kimo