mtbr member

Prophet / Cannondale Owners help me decide on New Brakes

Ok here is my dilema. I am looking at changing my brakes, I have a 2007 Prophet 5 with the BB7's.

Ok here are my choices:

Hayes Stroker 6" front and rear
    Juicy 7's 6" front and rear
    Hayes x9 Carbon (on sale at Blue Sky) 6" front and rear.

Or upgrade my BB7's to 8" in front and 7" in back. With the new Speed Dial levers.

The BB7's are my first disc brakes so I don't know the difference between hydraulic versus Mechanical.
    I'm also about 250 so well into the Clyde category should I run bigger rotors with the hydraulics as well or are the 6" ok?

I know I should probably ask in the Brake Time forum but there are way too many opinions over there.. I'm sure my fellow Cannondale owners can help me out

Ridin' dirty!
    Quote Originally Posted by Miggs70
    Ok here is my dilema. I am looking at changing my brakes, I have a 2007 Prophet 5 with the BB7's.

Ok here are my choices:

Hayes Stroker 6" front and rear
    Juicy 7's 6" front and rear
    Hayes x9 Carbon (on sale at Blue Sky) 6" front and rear.

Or upgrade my BB7's to 8" in front and 7" in back. With the new Speed Dial levers.

The BB7's are my first disc brakes so I don't know the difference between hydraulic versus Mechanical.
    I'm also about 250 so well into the Clyde category should I run bigger rotors with the hydraulics as well or are the 6" ok?

I know I should probably ask in the Brake Time forum but there are way too many opinions over there.. I'm sure my fellow Cannondale owners can help me out

How do you intend to ride/use your bike?
    "Common sense isn't always that common!"
    Custom Prophet and Custom Delta V

LA CHÈVRE
    If you want to change the brakes, it's because you're not entirely satisfied with yours... What don't you like and what are you looking for? And as cdalmaniac asked, what kind of riding do you do?

Typically, hydraulic brakes don't offer that much more power than the BB7. If you just need more power, I would just get bigger rotors for your current brakes. Easy and cheap upgrade. What I don't like about BB7 is that they feel pretty much all off or all on, modulation is not too good on them. Good hydraulics have much better modulation, they offer less maintenance and can be lighter too.

I'm not a big fan of Hayes brakes but I haven't tried their latest... I'm also not a fan of Juicys, too many bugs and issues with vibration, pulsing feel, noise for too many people IMO. Shimano hydraulic brakes are pretty good, trouble free, great feel and modulation, not too expensive. My personnal ultimate best brakes though are the Formula Oro line. They are probably expensive although the K18 can be found for not too much. They have good power, good modulation, they are pretty trouble free, not too heavy and the company has one of the best consumer service of the industry, they even help out in the mtbr.com brakes forum regularly, great guys to deal with. Also, the brakes are pretty much the same from the entry level Oro K18 to the Oro Puro, the differences are different pads, lighter Ti bolts on the higher end models, different lever shapes and material and such but the master cylinders and the calipers are the same, the lower end brake as good as the top of the line models, great products across the whole range...

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

mtbr member
    Well I mainly do XC with some "All mountain" ( I think that term is used for everything now).

I think the only problem with the BB7's are the stopping power if I am on a steep downhill it seems like I don't have all of the power I am looking for. I know it takes a lot to stop 250#'s coming down a hill. I don't really have a problem with the all or nothing feel. It seems like I can apply whatever power I want to them. But again these are the only discs that I have ever used.
    I demoed the Carbon Rush with the Juicy Ultimates and those felt amazing, but I don't know if I would benefit from hydraulics more than the mechanicals.

LA CHÈVRE
    Maybe just bigger rotors to add power would be enough...

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I would definitely go with the Formula Oro line (180mm front, 160mm rear and synthetic pads). I've being using them for several months now (Bianco model) and they work flawlessly, offering you an excessive amount of power.
    Check mines at the "Post your Rush" thread: http://forums.mtbr.com/cannondale/post-your-rush-142419-19.html#post1319190

mtbr member
    I recently added Codes with 7" rotors to my Prophet and absolutely love them. If you can afford them (the '07s should be on closeout now), then go for it - don't let people tell you that they're "overkill" or "too much". You want breaks to stop you, and the Codes do that just about as good as any other; plus you can play easily with the pad contact and easily adjust the levers, so essentially you have brakes that you can make work EXACTLY how you want them to. My only complaint is the squealing as they bed. But scares away the mountain lions. By the way, I noticed a HUGE difference between these and my stock BB7 mechanicals. A no brainer worth the $350 I paid for 'em.

mtbr member
    You know I have looked at the formula's as well.

"Kevin G"
    I have thought about the Codes as well. I was recently looking at the 2008 Code 5's. I know you lose some adjustability but I wasn't sure if it was a big deal?

Ridin' dirty!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Gerous
    Maybe just bigger rotors to add power would be enough...
    And while you're at it change the cable housing with avid's "flakjacket"..... The less flex you have in the housing, the more power gets to the brake (especially the rear).
    One of my Buddies (He's like 220lbs.) upgraded his BB7 this way and they have some good stopping power now.
    Cheap fix and way better performance!
    Get different levers, better cable housings/teflon coated brake cables and put a 8" rotor up front and you'll be surprised how well they will perform!
    I have the Juicy 7 since 04 and no problems what so ever (I do get the loud squeal when I brake hard, but that's it. No rubbing, wobbling or pulsating. I used some XTR rotors with them before and although they were "only" 6" I had more stopping power than with 8"Juicy rotors...Hmmm.
    I use a 7" avid up front now and a 6" in the rear with organic pads. I'm 180lbs. and happy with how they perform.
    "Common sense isn't always that common!"
    Custom Prophet and Custom Delta V

mtbr member
    I like the adjustability honestly. But note the Code 5s (I think) and newer Codes have trimmed some weight. But you should be able to get '07s for similar to the price of the Code 5s.

Ride Fast
    I'm a big fan of Formulas, but i really don't think avid brakes are that bad. I have/had juicy 7's and 5's. the 7's where pretty good for cross country and still work. I only upgraded because I was building up a custom scalpel and wanted lighter brakes.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    there's a killer deal to be had for some hayes el camino at 106 bucks pr brake with 8 inch rotors at www.universalcycles.com, as well as some avid on closeout. 8 inch discs might be a bit excessive for xc though. i use 7 inch front and back, but only weigh 63kgs, so 8 might work for you, i'm not sure.

phu, now that i had gotten that of my mind... if you can afford it, go for formulas. especially the oro's are just fantastic. i have some k24 and they're awesome. don't even think about the biancos as they are def not worth the upgrade. swap the pads and smack on some chrome and then you have the biancos. look good, but there's no benefit with em over the k24 if you put on the same pads. on my prophet i have a pair of extremes (the old b4) and those are pretty awesome too. loads of stoping power, not quite as good modulation as the oros, but nice lever which is easily adjustable.

and don't bother with the upgrade of the bb7s. sure, they might get a lot better, but getting good hydraulics will be an infinately better upgrade. longer living pads, more modulation, more power, lighter, less weight to carry around in your wallet.. it's all good! hehe

but the moral of the post, check out universalcycles.com for some killer deals and when all else fails, formula never does.