mtbr member
    Oct 2007

Prophet cable routing

How do you guys have your rear brake/front derr. cables routed coming off the bars? Mine run on the bottom drive side of the head tube and they are rubbing when I turn. I saw some pics of guys running them under the steering assembly straight back, but my cables won't stay under there and when I turn, its gonna rub them down there too.

Solution ideas much appreciated!!!

gl1
    Jan 2006
    This is how my bike shop deals with the problem of cable-rub on the top tube.

It's a little hard to see in the picture that I've attached, but basically, you need three zip ties, and at least one of them has to be pretty wide.

Attach the wide, long zip tie around the head tube, below the down tube. Then loop another zip tie around the first and the cables. The second zip tie keeps the cables tidy, while the first creates a barrier between the head tube and the cables. I hope you can understand that. Sorry about the dodgy pic.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Like catnip for people
    Quote Originally Posted by glollbac@une.edu.au
    This is how my bike shop deals with the problem of cable-rub on the top tube.

It's a little hard to see in the picture that I've attached, but basically, you need three zip ties, and at least one of them has to be pretty wide.

Attach the wide, long zip tie around the head tube, below the down tube. Then loop another zip tie around the first and the cables. The second zip tie keeps the cables tidy, while the first creates a barrier between the head tube and the cables. I hope you can understand that. Sorry about the dodgy pic.
    Same here...

I've added scuff tape under the zip tie that goes around the head tube too, as I noticed there was rubbing from the zip ties on the head tube; It was wearing down the clear coat.

mtbr member
    I used cut pieces of a screen protector for my Treo Palm. That clear tape works perfect.

LA CHÈVRE
    Mine is similar to glollbac's solution...

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    great idea guys- i have the exact same problem and i never thought of the zip ties.

amazing- u drop how many thousands of dollars on a new bike? and u hold the damned thing together with zip ties!

guess its better than duct tape...

Ridin' dirty!
    I dunno....I think it looks much cleaner if you only use 1 zip-tie on the downtube like this and use the clear cannondale frame protectors.
    This is how I been doing it for years, on every cannondale mtb I had.
    "Common sense isn't always that common!"
    Custom Prophet and Custom "Leftified" Delta V

Ridin' dirty!
    See....looks clean on every single one, doesn't it?

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Good stuff guys!!!

mtbr member
    I have the same set-up as Dan, zip tied the cables togeather and then used the cannondale frame protective 3M tape

mtbr member
    i routed both my lines on the right side (better sweep) and brake line on the left. the lower cable is really long and will be trimmed soon. so zip ties...

got the dhr...
    Well, I just use the cannondale clear protectors. like broomhandle, i run the r.d and the f.d on the right side, and the back brake on the left side. i unfortunatley don't have a lefty, and in that case i can turn my handlebars all the way around, but the problem is is that my cable housing gets in the way. now, my housing has a slit through it. soon, i'm gonna have my brother (he works at my lbs) give me some new housing there, i'm worried about the cable rusting through and snapping. i was wondering: does any one else have that problem with there prophet?

Ridin' dirty!
    I guess you just ride to darn much..
    Nah, seriously... I just clean my bike after every other ride to keep dirt from grinding on parts.
    AVID makes some really nice cable protectors called "TUBE TOPS" to prevent the lines from rubbing through as you're describing and also protect your bike's finish in those areas.
    Your local bike shop should be able to hook you up.
    I don't think that this is a Prophet only problem.
    It's common on MTB's....
    That's the price we pay for playing in the dirt...