Killer of Chains
    Feb 2004

Prophet Cable Housings

I searched and didn't find much.

After 3-4 years of being very well ridden, my Prophet has yet to have the cable housings replaced, and its starting to show. The housing that goes through the swing arm is pretty cruddy inside, and this is severely effecting my rear derailleur.

Does anyone have any suggestions for cable/housing kits that are the ideal length for the Prophet?

I don't have cable cutters, nor do I have ferrules or cable ends, so those should be included in the equation.

BTW, I'm super excited because my bike fits me now! Hurray for nice people who trade frames!

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    The length required for the swingarm is not anything you will find pre-cut. I would invest in a cable cutter and be set for life. A nice bike shop might even give you some cable ends if you buy the cutters. Also, these parts are included in some cable housing kits like XTR.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    When you replace the housing in the swingarm, tape the new length of housing end to end to the old one so you pull the new housing through as you remove the old.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    That's a good idea. Getting the new housing through the swingarm either takes 3 seconds or 10 minutes depending on luck. I have had better success starting from the pivot end of the swingarm. Don't forget remove the rubber grommets first or you will never get it through. Another thing I found helpful is to shine a flashlight into the swingarm to actually see the housing to accurately manuver it to the hole.

Killer of Chains
    Feb 2004
    Are any one cable housings better than any other?

mtbr member
    I like Shimano's SP41 housing. You can get a roll of it off Ebay for $25.00 or so and it will last forever at 10 meters per roll. Little over 31 feet.
    '96 Uber Light
    '00 R3000 TT
    '08 Six13

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by rossco
    When you replace the housing in the swingarm, tape the new length of housing end to end to the old one so you pull the new housing through as you remove the old.
    Or you could use a modified Seldinger technique, probably safer!

Remove the old housing by pulling it out of the swingarm, but let the old wire stay through the swingarm. Thread the new housing on the old wire, all the way through. Then replace the old wire with the new one.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    I believe these are good http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/M...?ModelID=24810 especially if you ride in muddy conditions, but so I would hope at the price! They may be cheaper stateside.
    +1 on some good cable cutters.

Killer of Chains
    Feb 2004
    Can you run full length housings on the Prophet?

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by PaintPeelinPbody
    Can you run full length housings on the Prophet?
    Yep... but pretty much only on the rear derailleur cable. The front has be cable only after the top downtube stop.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by vitaccop
    Yep... but pretty much only on the rear derailleur cable. The front has be cable only after the top downtube stop.
    Agreed. But this isn't a problem as what you are trying to avoid is cable entering housing and pulling mud in with it.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I believe the Prophet is the same (more or less) swingarm arm as the Rush. After two very muddy rides my rear shifting was crap, I brought it to my LBS and the mechanic suggest i run a fully sealed rear cable which out the door was $20 with install.

He ran a full length of Jagwire housing from the shifter to the rear derailleur and put in a new cable. Shifts are silky smooth and now I dont have to worry about mud/dirt/water ever again.

Updated with some quick pics for reference
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by MemphisR32; 07-20-2008 at 08:00 PM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    ^ Just had that done. Would have done it myself but the DLR2 needed seals so I just had my lbs do it. I wonder why it doesn't just come that way. Cannondale (stupidly) put the cable stop for the RD right in the EXACT area where dirt kicks up. That was my only beef with the bike other than the fact that the fork leaks like a goddamn maniac.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    I've played with a few cable/housing kits with my Prophet MX, as well as on other bikes. I have tested SRAM's Flak Jacket and had nothing but the worst results. All the time, the housing would split and shoot small metal strands into my shifters; they would seize and I'd have to take the whole thing apart.

Most recently, I switched from Jagwire's Ripcord to Shimano's XTR and have nothing but amazing things to say about Shimano. Jagwire was okay, but I'd never buy it again. There was far too much elasticity in the cables, forcing my XTR drivetrain to shift less precisely and smooth. The Shimano XTR kit has SP41 housing, which allows the teflon coated shift cable to glide effortlessly and smooth. Shimano includes interesting ferrules and ferrule condoms to shed dirt. So far, I have never had my drivetrain shift so precisely and smooth; it's like an entirely different drivetrain.

I have gone so far as to install the XTR teflon cables in my gray Dura-Ace SP41 housing on my CAAD9...it seems to be quite effective on my road bike too. The cables glide smoother than any cable I have used and have minimal stretch.

My housing in my Prophet MX's swingarm is not SP41; I couldn't get a piece long enough, however I will soon buy a roll so I can cut my cables to any length.

Shimano XTR all the way!

THELAND photographer
    Quote Originally Posted by rossco

ive made a tool to make this super easy.... i call it the hooker

take a broken old spoke and bend a J shape in it thats the width of 4mm or 5 mm housing
    thread your housing through from the pivot end and insert the spoke in the other what you end up doing is just lifting up the housing to push it through...makes it take like 30 seconds