mtbr member

New question here. Prophet Cable Guides

I'm putting some Avid Flak Jackets on my Prophet. Despite my drooling over the bike since I purchased it this past spring, I've just now really noticed that the cable housing is held in place by these cheesy little plastic split sleeve that slips into the cable guide on the frame.

This seems to work ok. It certainly allows the housing to move independently of the frame (mostly important I've noticed when the rear suspension is active for the rear brake housing) but I'm wondering if there are alternatives to the plastic split sleeve. Certainly a zip tie isn't an option unlike my son's bike that has a raised cable guide with a space to neatly thread a zip tie under and around the housing.

Anyone have any info on these little buggers?

JL

********************** UPDATE **********************

Guess I should have Googled a little longer. I found this company called JagWire that makes all kinds of those cool little parts and pieces for your shifting and braking needs including the little split "housing/hose guides". Something to bookmark for sure.

http://www.jagwireusa.com/en/aftermarket.html

Sold through Jenson USA and Bikeman

Sold through Jenson USA here in the states.
    Last edited by JLampitt; 09-27-2007 at 11:44 PM.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    What was the reason you put the flak jacket housing on. My back brake seems to be a bit squishy, but if I tighten up the spacing, they rub. So, was this a problem for you?
    Lead by my Lefty............... right down the trail, no brakes.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

zip ties

I've seen a Prophet that had zip ties to mount the cables to the frame. The guy zip tied to the shock mounts. He's a very aggressive rider who was complaining that the stock sleeves did not prevent the cables from popping out of the guides.

mtbr member

Flak Jackets

I've read a couple of places that putting the Flak Jackets on rids the BB7's of the "squishy" feeling. Don't have them on quite yet. I've heard they can put a hurtin' on your frame's paint in places where they rub, so I've ordered a bunch of the tube tops from JagWire (http://www.jagwireusa.com/en/tubetops.html) before I make the big switch.

Prophet converted!
    Let us know how this works out. My Prophet has the same problem...the brakes are really squishy.
    07 Prophet 5

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    IMHO Cables are not made to move thru the holders. With new stock sleeves, I used a little hot glue to take up any play in the cables and they have not moved since. I have a roll of sticky back felt pads I use to guard against frame rub, and defiantly replaced the two piece housing shift cable with a good quality full (one piece) housing. Dirt kept getting into the shift cable. Cheap but works great.