mtbr member

Prophet Build for Light DH

So I'm upgrading the stock components on my Prophet so it can withstand some light DH (up to single black diamond). Currently I'm in for:

- Tossing the 44T for a bash & 36T (keeping the 22T for nostalgia).
    - Deity 25.4 bar (2" rise) & stem + saddle.
    - Juicy 5 with 203 front / 185 rear.

What other recommendations would you have? I plan to get a true DH bike next year so I want the Prophet to still stay relatively useful on Northern CA (non-Tahoe) trails, but would like to have a build that won't crumble when on occasional shuttle trips. I know; I want both the cake and icing. But hoping to find that happy medium of a sturdy set up, and something to hold me over while I better my talents and save for a killer DH machine.

FYI, I have a Prophet 6 so all the components are basically disposable.

Thanks all!!

my church is the woods

don't need much

I run Avid bb5's and they work fantastic. If you want a more DH worthy bike, just slap on bigger rotors, at least in the front. going to juicy hydraulics isn't going to do much of anything in my opinion. my bb5's work just as good as my hydraulics on my other bike.

The better upgrade would be to put on some stronger cranks and bottom bracket. The stock un-26 is weak and will crap out shortly. I'd put your money into some new XT cranks.

Other things likely to crap out are the seatpost and shifters. get a thomson seatpost and better shifters and you'll be good to go.

Also, make sure to get a precision adjustment on the hub bearings if you want them to last. They typically come stock a bit too tight, and will grind away the balls and races in them.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    I just saw a prophet built up with a Totem in the classifieds section. I didn't pay attention to the brakes, but the totem seems like a good light dh fork. I would just be concerned about it imparting too much stress onto the prophet frame. (maybe that is why it is being sold). it also has a coil shock.

Anyway, just got my first ride in on a prophet, about 37 miles. it was amazing! now i just have to wait for the price drop later this summer.

post cherry popped

mtbr member
    Glad they work for you. I max them out on simple area DH runs (FYI I weigh about 165)...

Quote Originally Posted by moonraker
    I run Avid bb5's and they work fantastic. If you want a more DH worthy bike, just slap on bigger rotors, at least in the front. going to juicy hydraulics isn't going to do much of anything in my opinion. my bb5's work just as good as my hydraulics on my other bike.
    Agreed about the crank and BB; that's on my list too. Didn't realize the stock seatpost would crap out; thanks for the advice.

mtbr member
    Would you consider a DHX 5.0 air in the back as a nice suspension upgrade? (when you land even small jumps you do need at least some cusioning).

mtbr member
    Do you think it's worth the investment? What front shock would you recommend? By the way, the Perp is certainly on my list when I get a "real" DH bike!

Quote Originally Posted by k.kazantzoglou
    Would you consider a DHX 5.0 air in the back as a nice suspension upgrade? (when you land even small jumps you do need at least some cusioning).

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin G
    Do you think it's worth the investment? What front shock would you recommend? By the way, the Perp is certainly on my list when I get a "real" DH bike!
    Well to be honnest I don't know the maximum fork length that the Prophet can take but any long travell fork from the Marzocchi line (the new 2008 55's look nice and if they are as good as the 66's then...) also the stock Rockshox Domain of the Perp can take a beating and handle itself in rough conditions but I don't know if they'll fit in your Prophet frame.
    As for the Perp you'll be making a great buy believe me.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by k.kazantzoglou
    Well to be honnest I don't know the maximum fork length that the Prophet can take but any long travell fork from the Marzocchi line (the new 2008 55's look nice and if they are as good as the 66's then...) also the stock Rockshox Domain of the Perp can take a beating and handle itself in rough conditions but I don't know if they'll fit in your Prophet frame.
    As for the Perp you'll be making a great buy believe me.
    530mm - not enough for a 66 at 170 - 180 but maybe 160mm of one of the adjustable ones.

That 530 does include any headset stack below the head tube which you will need to avoid the fork dials hitting your frame or hoses

mtbr member
    Question for you all: I just ordered a set of MRP Bones cranks. They come with a BB, but the Prophet can take only 68mm cups, right?

mtbr member
    What I did is...
    - Sun S-Type rims
    - Atomlab GI rear hub
    - SICUSA LL 50mm stem
    - bashring / 32 /22
    - Hayes 9 203mm f/r
    - Holzfeller 2in rise bar
    - 2,5er IRC tires
    - Roco damper
    - Lefty 140 fork
    - Mallet pedals