Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    May 2005

Prophet Brake upgrade

I have a '07 Prophet 4 with the LX brakes, looking to upgrade. I was wondering what to go to. I was thinking Juicy 7, but then how big a disc to get front and back. The LX work good, but the handles aren't happening for me and they don't quite fit/look right with the new XO shifters... Also I have never replaced Hydraulics, can the normal guy do it, or should I shop it.....thanks......

LA CHÈVRE
    I'd stay away from the Juicy 7. Not much an upgrade from the LX IMO and too much risk even now to get a shaking, stuttering, vibrating, howling set. A lot of people who have Juicies have had lots of problems. Sure some set will be great but I'd rather go with a brand/model that you expect will be great, not a gamble.

If it was me, I would check out the Magura Marta/Marta SL or Hope's line-up. As for size, on a bike like a Prophet, if I had to get new brakes, I would go 180mm front 160mm for the rear.

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Gerous
    I'd stay away from the Juicy 7. Not much an upgrade from the LX IMO and too much risk even now to get a shaking, stuttering, vibrating, howling set.
    I think that the problem was located as the polygon rotors, so if you can get Juicy with different rotor I think you should be fine. That said I really like my Magura Louise FR - around here you can get 2006 model pretty cheap too.

Drink...sleep
    No problems with the Juicy's here. The only thing that's a pain in the ass with them is the CPS bolt system. When not perfectly set up (which is somewhat harder to do than with a normal bolt system with a faced discmount), they can vibrate and stutter and whatnot. But when set up correctly, they're great. I've also heard good things about Formula brakes btw. They're from Italy, which on its own is already a perfectly good reason to get them Plus, they look pimp, and performance isn't too shabby either.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    So go 180 front and 160 rear then? I know they have a 203 also.....so if getting the Avid just avoid the non round disc is that the problem? I have to do some searching and check out the Magura line, haven't really checked them out yet. Had Hayes on a Iron Horse and now the LX and have a Epiphany with Mini Hopes coming, which I hear are good...
    You guys have a good idea on what to upgrade on the Prophet 4 other the shifters/rear D.....Looking at a Bad BoyUltra today, but they do look like they need some upgrading also....

Also where are you guys shopping for parts?

mtbr member
    Stfightr, what's wrong with the LX ? I'm about to swap my Avid BB7 (rush 600) to Hydro LX.
    The BB7 were great, trouble free but a brand new set of 2007 LX is available from a friend of a friend who took them off to swap to something else... Would it be better to stick with the BB7 ?

LA CHÈVRE
    I prefer LX to BB7 by far! Hydros provide better modulation, less maintenance and adjustments and often lighter weight. LX are not the best brakes but are very good for their price range and are an excellent value. I have XT brakes on two bikes which are pretty close to the LX, only marginally lighter, the caliper is made in one piece rather than two halves fixed together so they are a bit stiffer too but the LX are still great brakes. I recommend the metallic pads rather than the stock organics, they last longer and make the brakes more powerful.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    The LX on this Prophet stop Great...the problem I have is reaching them and the position with the SRAM XO triggers I just put on....I have the '07 and the brake levers are huge in the pod and just not to cool, they ....looking to change this week......these LX brakes are only months old, so I'll do something with them , they do work really good....

mtbr member
    May 2005
    OH yeh anyone know how big a rotor I can use on the Prophet,???

LA CHÈVRE
    Quote Originally Posted by Stfightr
    OH yeh anyone know how big a rotor I can use on the Prophet,???
    As big as you need, you can go as big as 203mm / 8".

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Saweetttttt!!!! Thanks.....

LA CHÈVRE
    The LX on this Prophet stop Great...the problem I have is reaching them and the position with the SRAM XO triggers I just put on....I have the '07 and the brake levers are huge in the pod and just not to cool, they ....looking to change this week......these LX brakes are only months old, so I'll do something with them , they do work really good....
    Aren't the X.0 triggers super adjustable? As in put the brake levers where you want them to be and then put the triggers and adjust their position accordingly?

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Yeh they are but the levers of the LX are giant and you can barely see those cool triggers.......they work great though the XO stuff....

LA CHÈVRE
    You could also swap the levers only for some XT or XTR, I can't tell if they are much smaller since I'm not particularly familiar with the standalone LX brake levers to begin with...

mtbr member
    May 2005
    The XTR are smaller, but for the price I can get the better brakes...the XT is about the same...

discombobulated SuperModerator
    Jun 2005
    Whats with the Bold thing?

mtbr member
    May 2005
    I'm a moderator on several martial arts forums and it makes it easier for me to see what I wrote....why does it drive ya nuts? I'm not bolding in an angry way......it's just Goodtimes.....

discombobulated SuperModerator
    Jun 2005
    I dunno..seems like shouting. Better than all CAPS though

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Gerous
    I prefer LX to BB7 by far! Hydros provide better modulation, less maintenance and adjustments and often lighter weight. LX are not the best brakes but are very good for their price range and are an excellent value. I have XT brakes on two bikes which are pretty close to the LX, only marginally lighter, the caliper is made in one piece rather than two halves fixed together so they are a bit stiffer too but the LX are still great brakes. I recommend the metallic pads rather than the stock organics, they last longer and make the brakes more powerful.
    Salut Dan,
    Is it true that you need some kind of shims to adjust hydro brakes(shimanos) ?

mtbr member
    May 2005
    How's this? .....Just used to it, I do it automatically, just had to un bold just now.....but I get your point....been doing it alot of years....

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Dan how do you like those Juicy 7's??

LA CHÈVRE
    Dan how do you like those Juicy 7's??
    I don't like Juicies, everybody I know who has them say they will never get Avid brakes again, too many bugs. They had Avid replace rotors, pads, realign them 47 times and they still shake, stutter, vibrate and make noises. Some love them though so maybe they are just unlucky but all Shimano brake users I know have been quite happy from the get go.

When I think about it, I'm not a big fan of anything SRAM: SRAM, Avid, Rock Shox... They don't make bad products at all but I personnaly prefer others...

Quote Originally Posted by surf418
    Salut Dan,
    Is it true that you need some kind of shims to adjust hydro brakes(shimanos) ?
    Shimanos (and others) can be aligned with shims but also with just the bolts that mount the calipers to the caliper adaptor (you know, little thing between the caliper and the frame/fork).

What I like to do is with the bolts (between adaptor and caliper), align the caliper to make sure it's perfectly aligned with the rotor then if the rotor is not perfectly centered between the pads, I use shims between the caliper adaptor and the frame/fork to move it sideways. The shim technique is very easy but making sure the caliper is straight with the rotor is also very important. And I don't tolerate rotor rub from the pads on my bikes, it drives me nuts!

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Just not digging the LX handles on my Prophet ,,,,,,,they do put the Juicy on some Prophets and the local shop likes them.....wasn't sure where else to go without a zillion dollars....

cycletherapist
    Aug 2004
    I have Magura Louise FR on my Prophet... LOVE them! LOVE them! or if you want lightweight, go with the Marta SL. Using SRAM XO drivetrain. ah. sweet!

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Thanks much.I will check them out.....

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast