mtbr member
    Aug 2014

Prophet bottom bracket help

I'm an idiot, and I'm seeking help.
    After deciding I just couldnt handle the ridiculous standover height of my bike any longer, I just purchased a secondhand Prophet frame as an upgrade. It came with no bottom bracket, but has an e-type XT front derailleur attached. Reading up, it seems that the 68x113 ISIS BB I have wont work. Its not a hollowtech, the non drive side cup is flush with the shell. The crank arms are FSA AlphaDrive. Is this correct, and if so, can anyone help me figure out what BB I need to get this up and running?
    Is it even possible to re-use these cranks?

Any help is appreciated!

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Please? Anyone? I know that vintagecannondale site says the size is '68x113' but literally every pitcure and resource I can find shows it equipped with a shimano hollowtech BB that has different cup configurations than ISIS.

I'd love to have all the parts ready when the bike arrives (family member is picking it up for me and delivering it in a week) rather than getting it here, finding it doesn't fit and having to wait more time for parts. doubly so if I have to replace the BB AND cranks.

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    Pretty sure that will work just fine.

Why are you thinking it won't work?
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Thank you for the reply. I have concerns that it won't work, in part, due to this thread:
    Bottom bracket size on prophet
    It discusses the need for a 73 with some spacers.
    Vintagecannondale cart blanche says 68x113. Thsee two bits of info are in direct conflict with one another.

In addition, the Internet is full of pictures of prophets with hollowtech bb's that have portions of the cups outside the shell. I have no experience with this type, but I feel like it has to affect the chain line somehow.

It's staggering to me that even though the Prophet and Jekyll were made for like a decade, and probably had the same bb shell as all C'dales with the same funky e-type FD (based on the fact that every C'dale has a 27.2 seatpost) no one can seem to remember what be they had, or be arsed to point me in the right direction.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    If you didn't already see this thread, my bike is pictured. I gave up on the Truvativ crankset/ISIS BB and went with Shimano SLX

Prophet crankset

JD
    2014 Cannondale F29 Carbon 3
    2009 GT Peace 9R SS
    2008 Cannondale Prophet 4, Lefty Max TPC

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    It should work.

I can't speak for the veracity of the opinions of others on the web, nor can my memory of 10+ year old interface variables be relied upon with absolute certainty....

Those BB's typically had a big O ring on the non drive side cup to cover the threads left outside the shell, which were not insignificant. The DS cup was fully snugged, no spacers.

The E Type plate basically functions as a defacto spacer on the DS. So, with it in use, and with that o ring removed, the NDS cup should now snug most of the way in, allowing for use of said "spacer" on the other side.

Thus, it *should* work.

Cannondale BB shells were 68 at that time.

If for some strange reason it doesn't, just order what you need at that time.
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Thank you both for your input. This helps to clarify a good bit.
    At this point, I'm just going to see how the BB i have fits and go from there.
    Phoenix has had some devestating rains in the last few days, so most of the trails here are trashed. Waiting for Amazon Prime to send me a 2nd day BB isn't going to waste a primo weekend.

Edit: At some point I'll definitely ditch the dead-standard ISIS system, but for now this helps the budget.
    Last edited by ARandomBiker; 1 Week Ago at 09:41 AM. Reason: premature submission

Just a flesh wound
    I put an SKF 68 x 113 ISIS BB on my Prophet 6 or 7 years ago. Thousands of miles, maybe 7,000, and it is still going strong. It replaced the 73 x 113 Truvativ Giga Pipe ISIS BB that came with the bike. I had to replace that model every year or less.
    My name is Chris and I ride a Prophet 650b with a Lefty.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    +5 internets!

Even if it had turned out that I needed a new BB, it doesn't get much more specific than that!
    Thank you everyone! I'll post pics in the Prophet thread when its all done in a week or so.
    Sadly, it'll be Lefty-less for a while until budget and eBay cooperate.