mtbr member
    Jun 2007

Prophet BB shell face milled?

I'm about to replace my Truativ Blaze cranks (ISIS BB) with a Race Face set with external bearings and Race Face say to be sure that the BB shell has been face milled to ensure that the faces are parallel. Does anybody know if this is done on all the prophet frames including the models that are delivered with an internal bearing bottom bracket? And if not, is it really necessary to get the BB shell milled? Thanks!

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    I am NO expert on this issue. I changed out my Truativ Blaze cranks (ISIS BB) with a Race Face Deuce set of cranks though. And did not mill face the shell. The raceface bearings lasted less than a year. I did not know how bad the seals to the bearings were designed. Enough water and stuff got in to wash away the grease and start rusting. With the bearings failing the plastic shim started spinning acting like a bearing. When that wears away then you start to notice your crank wobbling. LBS had a set for 45 bucks and I kept an eye on these, they lasted less than a year. Got some Shimono externals and fine so far.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    If the edges of the BB shell have paint on them, then they definitely haven't been faced. If they don't have paint then the probably have.

I'm not convinced that BB facing is really neccessary for external bearing cups, especially if you don't over tighten the cups, but I have heard of people blaming premature bearing failure on un-faced shells.

P.S. Shimano external bearing cups are generaly regarded as much longer lasting than Raceface.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Yes the face is milled. It is also milled pre paint.

mtbr member
    There doesn't seem much point in milling the BB face before painting it as it will need doing again to remove the paint.

I got my BB faced when I changed to X type and the shop did it while I waited, although I did take the frame in with the cranks & BB already removed. It doesn't cost much.
    [SIZE="3"]Idlefrog[/SIZE]

2008 Trek Fuel EX8
    2006 Orange P7 Pro