mtbr member

New question here. prophet bb play - and new X type crank choices

I took the crank arms off to regrease (horrible creaking), and noticed some play when I re-installed the arms.

the 2005 prophet has stock truvative crank (fire xc)?? and original Isis bb.
    Does the play mean that the BB (and / or crank arms) are finally wearing out?

I'm thinking about throwing some LX or XT "X" type cranks with exterior BB.

Is anyone running an X-type crank on their prophet?

thanks.

mtbr member
    You are doing well if your first BB is only now wearing out on your 2005 Prophet. I am on my fourth BB on my 2005 Prophet. Then again I ride in the UK where we get lots of rain and mud, maybe you ride in drier conditions.

I have an FSA Afterburner X type crankset on my bike and it is good and stiff. They use a form of hollow tech similar to Shimano XT. The Mega Exo BB that comes with it didn't last very long though and I now have an XT BB fitted. I like the ease of changing the X type BB compared to the ISIS ones, but I am not convinced they last any better. In some ways I think they are more exposed to the elements than the ISIS ones.

If you do go the X type route, I advise getting the BB shell faced by your LBS first. I tried without doing this first and the BB creaked. It went away after getting this done.
    [SIZE="3"]Idlefrog[/SIZE]

2008 Trek Fuel EX8
    2006 Orange P7 Pro

LA CHÈVRE
    XT user here, same cranks and BB for over 2 years now and it's still going strong. The XT is a good value, not too expensive but light and stiff! ISIS has the reputation of being the least durable BB interface, that's why they are being phased out from most manufacturers, even the companies that created the standard have stopped making them.

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :