mtbr member

New question here. Prophet 5 - Shock Mount Oddity

Hey folks,

I have a fairly new Prophet 5. Bought it this spring.

Within the first few weeks of owning the Prophet, I contacted Fox to find out if there was any reason for me to refrain from turning the Fox Float R shock over (180 degrees) in the mount. I wanted the rebound knob to be on top for ease of tuning on-the-go and so the adjustment direction would be the same as on the Lefty... in terms of which direction you turn the knob for more or less rebound. Fox told me... doesn't matter... go for it as long as there are no clearance issues.

I turned the shock over. Curiously, I did notice that the rear mount didn't slip perfectly into the swingarm mount. Looking at the bike as if you're sitting on it, the rear mount was offset to the right approx .25 - .5 mm from the swingarm mount. A little fiddling and I got it to bolt together and I didn't really think much of it until recently when I had to have the rear shock serviced (thankfully under warranty) by Fox.

The shop where I bought the bike and had the warranty work done through (the same shop I bought the bike from) put the shock back on "upside down" as they come from the factory (I assume). Once again, I called Fox and verified that there should be no difference on how the shock is mounted.

So this afternoon, I went to turn over the shock again so the preload adjustment knob is right-side up when I noticed the same offset issue. When mounting the shock preload-knob-up, front mount first, the rear mount will not line up with the swingarm. Turn it over and everything falls into place perfectly. I even tried swapping the shock bushings (left-to-right, right-to-left) and was presented with the same problem.

Any idea what the issue might be? Nothing appears bent, and the Fox shock was just serviced and returned to me last week. I haven't put more than one ride in on the thing.

Any other Prophet owners have the same issue?

mtbr member
    My rush has an odd offset to it. I was told that's the way they come for drivetrain alignment? I have yet to do anything with the rear shock other than clean in that area.

mtbr member

Reply from Cannondale

Got this reply from Cannondale today on this topic...

"A rear end of a bike can be easily out .25mm to .5mm,the issue with the
    shock is most likely caused by the bushing in the shock being pushed to
    the one side of the shock more than the other, you should be able to
    easily push the shock bushing to the side it needs to go to fix your
    problem, you will need a shock bushing tool to do this, most bike shops
    should have one."

Anyone know what a shock bushing tool is?

JL

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by JLampitt

Anyone know what a shock bushing tool is?

JL
    It looks kind of like a gigantic chain cutting tool.
    It is used for inserting the thin bushing inside the two holes in each end of the shock, and I think also maybe the mountain hardware, ie the cylinder that goes through the holes (and inside the bushing) in the shock.

I just yesterday saw a picture of one in the Manitou swinger manual. You could also look at your own shock manual and charts.

Cannondale tells you that the mountain hardware of the shock is not aligned. That you could easily measure and check if is correct.