mtbr member

New question here. Prophet 400 - Headsets, Spacers and Fork Tops

I've just noticed that the brake hoses and gear cable housings on my Prophet 400 are getting a bit mashed by the fork top adjustment dials. The headset is a flush type 1.5 to 1 1/8 reducer and the fork is a Marzoorchi AM SL 2006.

The question is;

1/ Do i need to change my headset to a non flush type to increase the clearance between frame and fork?

or

2/ Can I achieve the same result with a spacer?

Any thoughts, including suggestions of make and model, would be most appreciated.

Cheers Chris

mtbr member

I use a cane creek

Cane Creek Double XC
    Black 1.5" Head - 1.1/8" Steerer ....gives me about 15mm stack below...but that may make your MZ am sl, a little tall.

LA CHÈVRE
    Any solution, spacer or taller headset, will make the fork taller, bike angles slacker... The only way to keep the same geometry and avoid the contact would be to change the fork ($$$) or whack a big dent in the downtube (NO!).

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

mtbr member
    I'm not too bothered about slakening the head tube angle slightly, I am more concerned about finding myself with no brakes.

I might have got the wrong end of the stick but does the AM SL not get shorter when set up for shorter travel?