mtbr member
    Jun 2007

Prophet 4 with climbing

I have always liked Cannondale, and I have been eying the prophet for a while. But before I

buy it, I was wondering how it does with climbing. I am worried about the rear suspension,

and not having a lock out on the shock. Or is there a different shock to upgrade to?

I have been trying to compare it with the IBEX Asta Expert X9. Cost less with better

components, but I'm not so sure about the frame.

Any advice would help. Thanks

mtbr member
    Brianmly,

Well I have only owned my Prophet 5 for a little over a month, but I can tell you it climbs great from what I have seen so far. I was also worried about a rear lockout.

I did notice a little bob, but once I got my rear sag adjusted correctly I havn't had anymore problems. This is my first full suspension coming from only hardtails.

I am also coming from a 250# clyde standpoint. So if I don't make it bob I would think the average person would have no problem.

Just my opinion..

LA CHÈVRE
    It's a real mountain goat! The suspension actually helps climbing (unless you are on paved or super smooth surfaces) as the suspension makes the rear tire stick to the ground no matter what you roll on: roots, rocks, dirt, dead animals, anything!

The Ibex doesn't compare, it's a very cheaply designed and cheaply built bike. A great frame and fork is a very important part of a bike and the Prophet is top notch and the Lefty is truly in a class of it's own. I think it's better to start with a better frame and fork and slightly lower end components and, as things wear out or break, you can replace them with better parts. An Ibex with good components is like a Hyundai Pony with mags and a rear wing, I'd rather have a Porsche with the stock wheels and accessories.

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

I concur with Dan...

...i'm on a Prophet 3. The only thing limitting its climbing is your legs and lungs (and head and heart). Cannondale has spent many years perfecting the single pivot design.

Prophets not only climb well (traction, suspension design etc) but are a magic carpet ride on the downs (lefty is superb).

But the thing i like most about my Prophet (Candice is her name) is the sublime handling and balance. The geometry and suspension and weight balance seem 'just right' for me.

Also, being able to modify the geometry and tune the suspension (as with a lot of modern bikes) really allows you to have fun experimenting and getting it the way you like it.

Candy is my second full suss 'Dale - an i'm lovin' it.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I can only second what the other guys have - I've got an '06 Prophet 2MX and it climbs like a goat and descends like a demon :-)

mtbr member

I also agree

I came from a hardtail and thought the added weight and suspension would slow me on the uphills....Wrong!

Like Dan said, I have unlimited traction because of the rear suspension. I also have less problems with the front wheel popping up on steep ascents, which I also think is attributed by the rear suspension.

BTW, I rarely ever notice pedal bob anymore

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Well I went to my LBS and got it today.

Stock only so far...here she is....thanx for the replies
    IMG_0260.JPG

IMG_0261.JPG

LA CHÈVRE
    Nice! Very good color choice too!

mtbr member
    Congratulations, looks great!

You won't be disappointed

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Ahhhhhhhh
    get those reflectors off that grand bike. I'm getting a head ache looking at it like that
    Lead by my Lefty............... right down the trail, no brakes.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    yea.....sorry about the reflectors...like I said, just from the LBS

Like catnip for people
    nice! it's like looking in the mirror! hehe
    looks like you have different pedals though... The colour has grown on me it has a chameleon type effect... Looks almost brown / Silver depending on the light...

Notice my new 1" Slicks...
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    The reason the Prophet climbs great is down to the frame geometry. The steep seat angle (74°) gets your weight forward and stops the front end from wandering or lifting. Sure the suspension action helps, but IMO the angles are more important.

To digress - are the rubber swingarm protectors shown on the images above available after market, anyone know the part no. so I get get my LBS to order one.

mtbr member

Curve ball

OK to get a point straight in my head, the Prophet swing arm design or pivot placement (high forward) induces chain pull to counteract pedal bob ....Yes ?

So when climbing a steep tech section with say 4 " boulders, roots etc the wheel is constantly pulled down which gives traction ....but is this not counteracting the suspension stoping good square edge performance from the shock and causing a feel of stiffening?????????????.....making it harder to roll over obstacles.

LA CHÈVRE
    Look where the pivot is and where the top portion of the chain (the chain tension is all on the top portion, between the chainring and the cog) is in different gear combos. In the granny ring and in big cogs out back, the chain force is less in line with the pivot. That has the effect of pulling the rear wheel down. Shift into faster gears, on bigger rings and smaller cogs and the chain becomes more in line with the swingarm pivot. That makes the pull effect dissappear and the suspension more neutral, more able to eat any bumps in your path.

The suspension layout is simple but very good. You don't need as much suspension to eat bumps when grinding up 20% climbs but traction is crucial. The faster you go the more you need suspension. The single pivot design of the Prophet makes it a wonderful bike going up and down and anything in between.

And yes, bauchle is right on, a bike's geometry is one of the most important thing and it really makes the Prophet a stable and easy bike to climb on.

Did I ever say I like the Prophet?

Master of the Face Plant
    Feb 2004
    I just got a prophet about 1 month ago. I ride a Turner Flux as well. The turner is one of the best climbing bikes made but the prophet works better for me on technical climbs. Up smooth climbs the Turner is faster but that is mainly because it is so light. On Bumpier climbs or loose gravel the Prophet has excellent traction. I use the same exact wheel and tire on the rear for both bikes and the Prophets traction is much better and once I got the sag dialed in there is no bobing. My $3000 dollar Turner has been collecting dust. Don't show this to the Homers on the Turner forum.

I don't huck.
    Jun 2005
    It does climb well. I have ridden mine once so far, but it was a 3-4 mile steep grade, non-technical, granny gear climb. I was quite pleased to see very little bob going on. I could feel the extra three pounds compared to the bike I was coming from, but that impression will fade in time.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    (BAUCHLE) the swingarm cover came with the bike...but the LBS said when it wears out you can order a new one...I'm not sure about aftermarket

LA CHÈVRE
    Yes, they are available aftermarket. Any Cannondale dealer can sell you one.

mtbr member
    YUK!!!!!

Take those slicks off immediately, is nothing sacred!!!!!!!!

Like catnip for people
    Quote Originally Posted by KarlosPirahna
    YUK!!!!!

I was wondering why there were angry Mtbr's chasing me with flaming torches on my way home from uni the other day... hehe

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by KarlosPirahna
    YUK!!!!!

Those things are like thongs on a fat girl. Gawwwwwd