Thread: prophet

mtbr member
    Sep 2007

prophet

I been riding an '06 Prophet 800 for the past year and really enjoy it.

Getting up steep hills has always been a bit of work. I have worked out a seated body position where I can get up them without tire slipage or the front coming off the ground, but it is uncomfortable at best. Standing up while pedalling up hill usually results in loss of traction on anything remotely loose. Thinking the TrailBears were not getting enough traction I put a Maxxis Ignitor on the back, which may have helped, but it would be hard to say for certain. I thought I had hill climbing down pat, until I started riding a local trail regularly, and am getting passed on the long uphill stretches more than I would like.

On a hard surface the front and rear shocks compress a good bit on each turn of the pedals, which seems to be a great loss of energy that I would prefer to go to getting me over the top of the hill. On the bike, I weigh around 205. I have the rear shock, a Fox Float R set with with 170 psi, and the front shock, a Lefty TPC, set for minimum rebound.

What can I do to make this bike better for climbing?

Whelen

Ridin' dirty!
    Quote Originally Posted by Whelen97
    I been riding an '06 Prophet 800 for the past year and really enjoy it.

Getting up steep hills has always been a bit of work. I have worked out a seated body position where I can get up them without tire slipage or the front coming off the ground, but it is uncomfortable at best. Standing up while pedalling up hill usually results in loss of traction on anything remotely loose. Thinking the TrailBears were not getting enough traction I put a Maxxis Ignitor on the back, which may have helped, but it would be hard to say for certain. I thought I had hill climbing down pat, until I started riding a local trail regularly, and am getting passed on the long uphill stretches more than I would like.

On a hard surface the front and rear shocks compress a good bit on each turn of the pedals, which seems to be a great loss of energy that I would prefer to go to getting me over the top of the hill. On the bike, I weigh around 205. I have the rear shock, a Fox Float R set with with 170 psi, and the front shock, a Lefty TPC, set for minimum rebound.

What can I do to make this bike better for climbing?

Whelen
    A lot of folks in this Forum agree that TPC is the smoothest version of the lefty Fork.
    Well, it's true for downhill and small bumps and being very cushy and comfortable and all but climbing sucks with a +5" bike if you don't have any sort of pedal plattform in the Fork. I'm a very big fan of the SPV Lefty for the simple fact that it eliminates pedal induced bobbing, especially on longer climbs.
    If you really think about keeping the bike (believe me it's worth it after it's dialed in) I'd get a SPV upgrade for your Fork and a Manitou Swinger in the back since you can adjust the pedal plattform on both shocks with air.
    You'll have the bike feel almost like a Hardtail on climbs and when you overall go really slow (that's what some riders complain about???) and really smooth when you go fast.
    Bottom line: The so called "bad small bump absorbtion" on SPV equipped bikes only happens when you go damn slow like on climbs and such, but that's the whole purpose of it.... The faster you go, the smoother SPV actually gets, and that's when you really need the smooth 5.5" of travel...when you're flying downhill!
    "Common sense isn't always that common!"
    Custom Prophet and Custom "Leftified" Delta V

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    yup, at least get swinger in the rear from santa cruz for 99 bucks. i would start with the shock and see how much of a difference it makes and it should make a huge difference. if you read the review of the prophet 4x on pinkbike it doesn't seem like bobbing is much of a problem with the tpc, so start in the rear and if you're not happy, upgrade to a spv evolve up front

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    $99? From where?

Whelen

Like catnip for people
    Quote Originally Posted by cdalemaniac
    A lot of folks in this Forum agree that TPC is the smoothest version of the lefty Fork.
    Well, it's true for downhill and small bumps and being very cushy and comfortable and all but climbing sucks with a +5" bike if you don't have any sort of pedal plattform in the Fork. I'm a very big fan of the SPV Lefty for the simple fact that it eliminates pedal induced bobbing, especially on longer climbs.
    If you really think about keeping the bike (believe me it's worth it after it's dialed in) I'd get a SPV upgrade for your Fork and a Manitou Swinger in the back since you can adjust the pedal plattform on both shocks with air.
    You'll have the bike feel almost like a Hardtail on climbs and when you overall go really slow (that's what some riders complain about???) and really smooth when you go fast.
    Bottom line: The so called "bad small bump absorbtion" on SPV equipped bikes only happens when you go damn slow like on climbs and such, but that's the whole purpose of it.... The faster you go, the smoother SPV actually gets, and that's when you really need the smooth 5.5" of travel...when you're flying downhill!
    I find the TPC to be very firm when climbing. Absolutely no bobbing, unless you purposefully stand up and mash the pedals then you'll get some movement... But otherwise nothing.

mtbr member
    I have the Prophet 4 with the Fox Float R and I was have the same problem till I increased the PSI from 200 to 205 and set the rebound to max where there's no delay. With the Lefty TPC, I went in 9 clicks on the rebound and have the blue compression set to max also where there's no delay.

When I had everything set to absorb and slow the rebound action, my rear tire was always loosing grip on bumpy up-hill climbs; but now I climb hills like a champ. I'll even get out of my seat just to go that much faster. But still after all thatís said, I'm planning on getting the Fox RP23 because of the added features. If I did not play around with the rebound, compression setting, I would have had one already.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    you can get the swinger from the store at www.santacruzmtb.com

and if you plan on getting a rp23 talk to mendoncyclesmith in here and he'll hook you up with the one that has the correct valving for the prophet. any rp23 won't do, it needs to be the correct one.

and play around with the settings, there's prob something you can do to make it more to your liking.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Thanks for the link.

I had been looking around for a new rear shock with a lockout, but was a bit taken aback at the cost and hadn't plunked down the cash yet.

There are supposed to be different main springs for the Lefty TPC, with the Brown one being the right one for my weight - the black one is, I think the standard for the large frame Prophet. I asked the LBS from which I bought the bike about this and they looked at me like I had just walked off a spaceship in the parking lot. Is this difficult to replace, and would this help on the front end?

El Pollo Diablo
    Replacing the lefty spring is a piece of cake.
    we're talkin like, Mongoose (who often has issues wrenching his way out of a paper bag) can do it, no problem.

The lefty manual, iirc, has directions on how.

I'm looking at putting different springs in each of my leftys soon... just in time for the weather to close in for good
    :P