mtbr member
    Oct 2006

Prophet 2MX any good?

Canít find a Prophet 1000 í06 in my size in UK but have seen a good deal on Prophet 2MX í06 and wondered how much difference there was in handling & weight between them.

Climbing ability is important and would like a lockout facility on rear shox as SPV didnít cope brilliantly with my weight & also would need to change crank & chainset to get 3 chain rings but otherwise MX looks good.

mtbr member
    I know a guy who rode one last year (MX) and liked it. He's been on many different bikes for many years and really knows his stuff. He's more into the downhill/freeriding sort of thing than XC though.

The regular Prophet will be a better climber than the MX version. The MX is built a little studier (and thus heavier) and is better at going downhill.

Plus--and someone can correct me if I'm wrong--but the MX has a slacker head angle (in both positions) than the regular Prophet. This makes it a little harder to climb.

Hope this helps. I'm sure others on here with more first-hand knowledge can help even more.

Like catnip for people
    How much weight can some extra gussets add? I'd say it's so marginal it shouldn't matter.
    It's stronger! to me that's a good thing and should outweigh any extra weight gains.

http://www.cannondale.com/bikes/07/C...eoName=prophet

Geometry looks to be the same for regular prophet and MX versions. I guess the shock could modify that, being that it's not a lefty...(It's adjustable??)

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Geometry seemed to be the same, can see there could be a weight difference between new regular prophet & MX as MX has Pike coiler rather than air fork, not sure how much difference front fork makes & whether I would be better with coil or air forks - original prophet was coil but everybody seems to use air these days for XC or trail.
    266lbs might make a difference to the fork?

LA CH»VRE
    I think the MX could be a good choice for you but here are a few thoughts:

The geometry can be a bit slacker since the forks are typically taller and they sometimes have a spacer under the headtube to give some clearance between the crown and the downtube. Maybe consider a lower stem if you prefer a more XCish position that climbs easier. But if you put the rear shock in it's XC setting, it should climb just fine. The angle might come out at 68 instead of 69...

As for the weight, the MX frame is a tad heavier with the gusset, the ISCG tabs and the Thru-12 rear end but what makes the MX heavier is the components. They have beefier, more freeridish parts, wheels, crankset and of course, the forks on the MX are at least a pound heavier than the Lefty.

But, at 266lbs, you wont notice the additional weight as much as a 160lbs rider and you'll certainly benefit from the stiffer rear end and the stronger wheels. Coil, Air... Usually, Coil give a smoother, linear feel to the suspension while Air gives a more progressive feel. Again, Air is lighter but a few grams wont be the end of the world. Air is easier to tune since all you need is a shock pump while a coil only has a certain adjustment range, when you fall out of that range, you have to use a different spring... that's usually a one time thing when you first get the bike though.

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Thanks gents.
    Looks like its time to talk to LBS as he has both in but 07 models if he will do a deal I will go with whatever feels nicest otherwise I will go with MX off web site & change cranks/chainrings.
    I guess I will prefer Coil as thats what im used to & Pikes are supposed to be good forks - maybe not as good as Lefty though.

LA CH»VRE
    Nothing is as good as a Lefty.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    That was going to be the next question.
    Given a choice of Lefty 140 SPV on 2006 800 or 140TPC on 2006 600 and upgrading to bring back to 1000 or Pike Air or coil what is best fork?

How much better is SPV than TPC?

LA CH»VRE
    SPV has a more XC racer, efficient, stiffer feel since SPV filters out the bobbing and some of the suppleness on small impacts and vibration. That filter is adjustable but even at the lowest setting, you'll still give away some plushness over small impacts and vibrations. TPC is plusher, more confortable. Additionnally, the SPV can adjust the progressivity. SPV feels more like a sports car, TPC more like a luxury car. One is not better than the other, it depends on what you like. I like the SPV feel more but some prefer the TPC.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    OK so for my all day riding I guess it doesn't really matter whether I go SPV or TPC only personal choice, I had assumed SPV was better as it was on the high end bikes in the range but only real improvement is when you get to carbon lefty where you can change the suspension travel.
    I am assuming that biggest improvement Lefty has over normal forks is rigidity & weight reduction but why have C'dale decided to go with normal forks?

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I've got an '06 MX2 - awesome bike. Stock spec is great, except for the rear hub - the ratchet stripped out on mine after 2 months, but got a new wheel quickly under warranty. The rear shock (RS Pearl) doesn't have lockout, but you can increase low-speed compression on the fly to make it stiffer for fireroad climbs/road etc. Having said that, it doesn't bob too much anyways.
    I'm well stoked with mine, had a succession of freeride bikes (Stinky, Gemini, Enduro SX) and this descends, climbs, jumps better than them all and gives me the biggest grin.
    I keep mine in the FR setting and climbs just fine, and descends fast as f$ck.
    I got mine from Noah's Ark near Stroud - they still have a few '06 MX2s going cheap I think?

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Thanks Absinto will check out Noah's Ark.

Is the Lefty really better than all other forks? I wouldn't know because I've only ridden on a Lefty.

People in USA seem to be very lucky as they get to keep Prophets with Lefty’s just better spec. for this year, UK prophets have been diluted and now come with Pike forks.
    Not sure whether this is just to reduce the costs or whether our terrain is different but we appear to be stuck with it unless we can find old prophets.

Anybody know of USA companies shipping to UK & maybe timescales so I could still lay my hands on a Lefty?
    Last edited by pabrown; 06-01-2007 at 04:18 PM.